Security Notification

1. keithgpowell
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 27, 2019

keithgpowell , Nov 27, 2019 :
    The SIM Swap *fraud* as it would be better named.

I'm a Johnny knows all, but last night( I couldn't sleep for obvious reasons) I read about the Pin Locking of Sims for first time( Live and learn, what!)
    Sure enough it's available on my OP3. So did it - had to get a PUK code first from telecommunications company.
    So now, when I boot/restart, I have to enter two pins( pin unlock then phone unlock) - no big deal, there.( of course, if you remove the SIM, you only have to unlock the phone, but if you now reinsert the SzIM you have to enter its pin)

Can a security expert/professional tell me/us if this SIM lock secures against SIM fraud, as has been suggested elsewhere?

If yes, why haven't telecommunications companies insisted we use SIM lock, before we use the network?

2. keithgpowell

No.
    Instead of being so cryptic, enlighten by PP, as you might be off topic

3. SugandhAggarwal
    Cupcake Nov 27, 2019

SugandhAggarwal , Nov 27, 2019 :
    My payment details are leaked and i am receiving OTPs since last 4 days. my debit card and credit cards have been hacked and i don't have an idea what to do. i received no email from one plus team. this is very irresponsible and unfortunate. i need an investigation to be done and report to be shared asap

4. plunet
    Donut Nov 27, 2019

plunet , Nov 27, 2019 :
    SIM Lock defends against someone with physical unauthorised access to the SIM at startup time.
    SIM Fraud is where access to your mobile number is made by typically transferring service to another physical SIM card which would not have the SIM lock PIN active on it.

5. Lucibv81
    Cupcake Nov 27, 2019

Lucibv81 , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Nov 27, 2019 :
    So from what I understand this is not the first time when our personal information are being neglected and not properly secured. I just change phones and said to give a go to oneplus an my new adventure started wrong from day one with OnePlus because my phone it was delivered to the wrong address and when phone customer service it was ok my first call and after they made it harder to find my phone.

6. keithgpowell

You don't know for certain who leaked your detail?

What is OTP?

Tell your credit/dbit card providers immediately.

Tell your bank and all your financial providers.

Tell your telecommunications and IP provider.

Lock your SIM and don't use your mobile if you think your SIM swap fraud.

Contact who you think leaked your data.

Change PWs everywhere.

Do all above comms by secure land line/snail mail or a trusted secure PC/phone.

Etc

and goog luck.

7. SugandhAggarwal
    Cupcake Nov 27, 2019

Thanks for the to dos..have got all my cards blocked..i am receiving msgs where my cards are being used on ********** website and otps are being generated for same..this has been since the data breach has happened from the end of one plus..

8. keithgpowell

Thanks, but just to clarify, does my SIM lock prevent SIM Fraud?

9. LeKeiser
    Gingerbread Nov 27, 2019

LeKeiser , Nov 27, 2019 :
    What's OTP?
    Are you sure this is because of the hack of OnePlus? I mean, beside the fact it's happening now, do you have something that leads you to that conclusion?

10. SugandhAggarwal
    Cupcake Nov 27, 2019

otp is one time password that is generated when card us used on online transaction

11. keithgpowell

Did you get refunds from your credit/debit card company?

Have you, before this leak, used your cards yourself on the ********* website?

Have you been SIM Swap frauded?

12. LeKeiser
    Gingerbread Nov 27, 2019

So it's an acknowledgement when you're buying something online, the bank sends you a code that you have to enter to validate a transaction, right?
    Thing is, I would say that it's not a sim swap hack since you still have your phone and you're still receiving SMS/text messages to validate a transaction. A sim swap hack, if I understand it properly, means someone has taken over your SIM and you don't have any network from our provider anymore because someone has taken over a SIM that's been affected to you. So all the OTPS or text messages sent from anyone or your bank or... will not show on your phone anymore, but on the one the hacker is using.
    But again, I might be totally wrong, but I don't think so.

13. keithgpowell

I agree with you.

And I'm beginning suspect the leak has occurred at the ********** website, not necessarily at OP?

LeKeiser likes this.
  14. LeKeiser
    Gingerbread Nov 27, 2019

I agree with you too.
    Weird :D

keithgpowell likes this.
  15. keithgpowell

Nah!

Its just that great minds think alike. ---- sometimes.

LeKeiser likes this.
  16. plunet
    Donut Nov 27, 2019

plunet , Nov 27, 2019 :
    No, because SIM Fraud is typically not based upon physical access to your SIM card

17. LeKeiser
    Gingerbread Nov 28, 2019

LeKeiser , Nov 28, 2019 :
    So it's been a week now. And I haven't seen/read any news from OnePlus.
    I really thought that this time, OnePlus would communicate a lot more. Meaning... a bit more than last time.

18. Luca Floricel
    Eclair Nov 28, 2019

Luca Floricel , via OnePlus 6 , Nov 28, 2019 :
    Opt out of your own online store. Leave professionals in the field, sell strictly through third-party online stores. Employees capable people, I don't think it's that hard to secure an online account and what's going on there. It is no pleasure to go to change cards, to find out that your personal data is on the hand I do not know who, especially from a brand with claims to the premium segment. The BBK group is not so poor not to afford an extra security or who knows, there is no interest...

19. keithgpowell
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 28, 2019

keithgpowell , Nov 28, 2019 :
    Do you mean the breach was exactly the same as last time?

LeKeiser likes this.
  20. LeKeiser
    Gingerbread Nov 28, 2019

LeKeiser , Nov 28, 2019 :
    That's a good question. I think last time, the payment information was hacked too. OnePlus is saying : not this time. And the passwords are safe too.
    Hope they are right.
    But I'm still waiting for some news now.