Seeking a 15 watt wireless charger for the OnePlus 9 Pro, anything available? 50w is too fast.

?

Is 50w wireless charging too fast for you?

1. Yes

28.6%
  2. No

71.4%
  1. Bongzerker
    Gingerbread Apr 9, 2021

Bongzerker , Apr 9, 2021 :
    I know the OnePlus 9 Pro supports 50w wireless charging but for me that kinda defeats the whole purpose of wireless charging. Not only does it waste a ton of power and generate a lot of heat, I like to use wireless charging as a way of "staying full" rather than a legitimate means of charging my phone. When I'm home and at my desk, it's nice to have something I can just set my phone down on and keep it somewhere in the 70%-90% sweet spot of charge. Basically, 50w wireless charging is way too fast and I have no interest in it.

That said, the OnePlus 9 series is supposed to support 15w Qi wireless charging. The problem? I can't find any Qi wireless chargers that actually say they'll charge a OnePlus phone at 15w, only ones that claim to charge LG phones at 15w, Samsung at 10w, and all other phones at 5w.

Does anybody own a OnePlus 9 Pro and know of a 15w wireless Qi charger that will definitely work with it?

2. ShreyasPatil_
    Jelly Bean Apr 9, 2021

3. Bongzerker
    Gingerbread Apr 9, 2021

4. ShreyasPatil_
    Jelly Bean Apr 9, 2021

ShreyasPatil_ , via OnePlus 8T , Apr 9, 2021 :
    It's better to use OnePlus official charger instead of relying on third party chargers. It would solve your purpose partly.

5. McLarenMania
    Honeycomb Apr 9, 2021

McLarenMania , via OnePlus 7T Pro 5G , Apr 9, 2021 :
    The OnePlus 9 pro has two batteries which gives it the ability to charge at a higher wattage. You can try the traditional 15W Qi chargers but it is not going to be stable and fast to charge the two batteries. You are possibly better off plugging in at this rate

6. Bongzerker
    Gingerbread Apr 9, 2021

Any actual science or evidence behind this? Afaik any Qi charger should work flawlessly with the OnePlus 9 Pro, I'm simply concerned about charge speed. The 9 series does allegedly support Qi EPP so it should support 15w wireless charging, I just want to know what chargers I could get to do that.

7. Bongzerker
    Gingerbread Apr 9, 2021

I'm aware of how the batteries in OnePlus phones work on the 8T and later models. That said, 15w should be more than adequate to slowly charge the device (7.5w per cell). 5w would be excruciatingly slow (2.5w per cell) which is why I'm wary of chargers not promising speeds above that.

8. McLarenMania
    Honeycomb Apr 9, 2021

I think you may just have to test this and tell us all your experience. You should be able to get a cheap Qi charger and maybe tell us how long it takes. I don't have wireless charging so stuck with a warp charger. I agree it's not great for battery life in the long term

9. Bongzerker
    Gingerbread Apr 9, 2021

Indeed, there doesn't seem to be any conclusive answers online so I may have to test for myself. The whole point of the Qi charging standard is just that, that it's standardized. I would think any 15w Qi charger would work, I'm just wary since none claim to fast charge OnePlus devices. Guess there's only one way to find out.

McLarenMania likes this.
  10. dinamoski
    Honeycomb Apr 9, 2021

dinamoski , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Apr 9, 2021 :
    The fast wireless charging feature is a nice to have in case you need to quickly charge the phone. But I find for day to day use I put it into bedtime mode most of the time.
    I don't need it to be fast charging all the time and I don't have to listen to the fan noise.

11. McLarenMania
    Honeycomb Apr 9, 2021

Yes please do test and post it. Surely many would be interested

12. Bongzerker
    Gingerbread May 13, 2021

13. Z1629016889145
    Cupcake Aug 17, 2021

Z1629016889145 , Aug 17, 2021 :
    I've bought 'NILLKIN PowerHold mini wireless charging stand' (15W)

and received it today. Seems to work very well on mine op9. Very comfortable and adjustable.
    btw.
    in op9 coil seems to be place in upper half of phone so keep in mind when you will look for chargers.

14. Akshat Sehgal
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 17, 2021

15. Kl1mb
    Cupcake Oct 7, 2021

Kl1mb , Oct 7, 2021 :
    Any updates? Did you or anyone find a pad that supports 15W on the 9 pro? I'm looking for a 15W charger for my nightstand. The night (silent) charging mode on the 50W bumps down to 15W without the fan anyway, so I want to put the 50W on my desk for fast midday top offs and pick up a dedicated 15W nighttime pad.

16. BJ_Berryhill
    Cupcake Dec 6, 2021

BJ_Berryhill , Dec 6, 2021 :
    I use a 10W mophie wireless pad on my nightstand and 5W on my desk and they seem to be fine as far as just keeping topped off or slow charge at night