Seems Oneplus Didn't Mention The Nord Has a Plastic Frame..

1. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Jul 24, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Jul 24, 2020 :
    For a mid-ranger with snap 765G? Yes, a lot to pay, when you can pay almost same for the OP 8, Pocophone F2 Pro, Black Shark 3, SE 2, upcoming Pixel series and lots of last year flagships...

2. Moin2200
    KitKat Jul 24, 2020

Moin2200 , Jul 24, 2020 :
    OOF. Though i think it's fine for the price but still a little concerned about heat when playing games.

Also i have not seen any mention of this on the website or is it just me?

3. _Masa_
    Froyo Jul 24, 2020

_Masa_ , Jul 24, 2020 :
    Metal might dissipate heat better but plastic absorbs shocks better if you drop it.

That said, I am having a few second thoughts about my purchase.

I was desperate for an OP phone with a flat-screen. I don't want the 7T because it's ugly af and it has green tint issues. Hopefully the Nord will be okay screen-wise. I think it uses the same panel as the Realme X50 Pro 5G and so far no reported issues. I do hope the tradeoff on the plastic frames doesn't impact on build quality.

dinamoski likes this.
  4. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Jul 24, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Jul 24, 2020 :
    I just enjoy stupid marketing "made of premium materials" [e]1f602[/e]

5. _Masa_
    Froyo Jul 24, 2020

_Masa_ , Jul 24, 2020 :
    If I remember right, JerryRigEverything's teardown of the Pizel 4/XL revealed it had a plastic frame with only a thin layer of aluminum. You don't see many horror stories about it overheating under load.

Baymax likes this.
  6. dinamoski , via OnePlus Community App , Jul 24, 2020 :
    The carriers are pushing 5g. I was on 4g but I got a better deal on 5g even though my phone is still 4g.
    When they switched it over my 4g seemed to be better. I was having problems with streaming hi res content before.

7. _Masa_
    Froyo Jul 24, 2020

_Masa_ , Jul 24, 2020 :
    Another thing, the Pixel 3A/XL was made entirely out of polycarbonate and it was fine for the average gamer. At least the Nord has a glass back to dissipate the heat, and a more energy-efficient processor.

At the end of the day, if you're a hardcore gamer you probably shouldn't be buying a mid-range phone in the first place.

gvc, dinamoski, Baymax and 1 other person like this.
  8. Moin2200
    KitKat Jul 24, 2020

Moin2200 , Jul 24, 2020 :
    Yeah that is kinda a red flag. Hopefully they will fix it and make it more clear about the materials used.

Yeah the carrier war wages on with the dumb 5G logo that means nothing.

9. obakesan.
    Jelly Bean Jul 25, 2020

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020

10. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Jul 25, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Jul 25, 2020 :
    Firstly, this's 8 Pro. Secondly, does it make plastic frame in Nord look metal?) - No! :D

11. obakesan.
    Jelly Bean Jul 25, 2020

obakesan. , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Jul 25, 2020 :
    ok stand corrected it is indeed 8 Pro. But point is how can you talk about a Nord while showing a 8 Pro? I have no idea what frame the Nord has I've not touched it. There is a difference between looking like and actually being.

12. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Jul 25, 2020

[​IMG]
    Any further proofs needed, like official statements?) I doubt they will after those lying words: "Nord is made of premium materials" :D

13. obakesan.
    Jelly Bean Jul 25, 2020

obakesan. , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Jul 25, 2020 :
    ASCHENTE_V

[​IMG]
    Any further proofs needed, like official statements?) I doubt they will after those lying words: "Nord is made of premium materials"

That's not an official statement it is a statement from an influencer, does super saf work for oneplus? Last time I checked no he didn't. He may claim he did check with oneplus and that claim could be true I don't know do you?

Anyway, my point is not about metal or plastic. My point was of a video talking about a device and clearly showing some other device. That's all. Does it matter if the device does or doesn't?

If oneplus made an official statement saying its made of metal and its actually plastic then that would be an issue and false advertising. If oneplus didn't mention and people assumed well what can you expect.

If it's plastic, will you not buy the device then? It's a cheaper device if plastic bothers people then don't buy it simple go buy a oneplus 8 pro like the one in the video which is clearly not a Nord.

14. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Jul 25, 2020

I said "like official statements". Can you pls stop reading through lines? ;)

Dude, I won't be buying Nord anyway, I didn't have any intentions. OnePlus clearly stated, that Nord was made of premium materials... Now frame turned out to be plastic! That's it.

That's another false advertising, same as their statement in India: "We wouldn't be adding any bloatware, ads and unnecessary apps". And here we go - Dailyhunt :p. And no, I don't live in India.

And like they say, it has only just begun. Who knows, where else company saved on materials or in which way decided to recoup costs... However, for me it's just another occasion for laughing.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020

15. Graham Shaul
    Eclair Jul 25, 2020

Graham Shaul , Jul 25, 2020 :
    Clearly the fact that the you believe that the frame is plastic is an important issue for you. That is your belief so will confirm your decision to not purchase the Nord. The phrase 'premium materials' clearly is also irking you and I am deducing that you do not regard or entertain the thought that plastic can be a premium material. What we know from OnePlus is largely the marketing which should be remembered as being necessarily non specific, vague, enticing, suggestive, exciting etc etc. What it is not is definitive. I can't see how you get to the statement that it is 'false advertising'. Additionally there is much yet to play out on this launch. I would suggest that it is only once the phones have been delivered that we will know if the marketing hype/promises have been delivered. Whilst personally I wouldn't understand why a company would risk allowing disappointment to be created and then reverse it with some grand gesture - nothing would surprise me.

I am far more interested in real world experience than speculation drawn from prejudice. Unfortunately there is no real world experience at the time of launch and we are all individuals and need different levels of information before making a purchasing decision. Being an early adopter gives a greater risk of disappointment but also the thrill of the new and being one of the first to get something truly exciting. If you need solid facts then you aren't going to take the risk.

obakesan, iamelton and _Masa_ like this.
  16. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Jul 25, 2020

Next time if you wanna receive response, tag sb or click reply.

17. Graham Shaul
    Eclair Jul 25, 2020

Graham Shaul , Jul 25, 2020 :
    Will do, if I want to.

18. malidan
    Nougat Jul 25, 2020

malidan , Jul 25, 2020 :
    Dude you are talking after the fact rubbish, when you heard glass and metal sandwich like all the other hypocrites you would have been thinking it's all good. But because you put your years rations of eggs In one basket you have to back it no matter what.
    The real world performance will be midrange so there is no need to wait for anything, the 765 has been benchmarked and real world tested back in January so there is nothing new to discover.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020

ASCHENTE_V likes this.
  19. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Jul 26, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Jul 26, 2020 :
    As you can see from this thread, it's not just me...
    I didn't even mean to, lol
    If rough reality is irking, let it be. Stop being childish.
    Cuz it's not premium
    Tell it to people watching "reviewers" like MKBHD and making pre-orders based on this, ahem, "experience"
    If you think that you said sth cool with this, then no, you didn't, cuz all I see is a poor attempt to justify misleading marketing by OnePlus. If you wanna remain as a marketing victim, then keep it up, but don't force others. Situations like this have become too frequent with OnePlus, so should one turn a blind eye to such shit?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020

malidan likes this.
  20. Graham Shaul
    Eclair Jul 26, 2020

Graham Shaul , Jul 26, 2020 :
    Fascinating. Please explain to me how I am a hypocrite.