Separate Notification Sounds?

1. Geeba
    Cupcake Dec 9, 2020

Geeba , Dec 9, 2020 :
    Sorry but I cant find a straight answer to this but I want separate notification sounds for say Whatsapp and SMS.

Having the same tone for everything is a PITA! my old OP3T did it but I can't find the setting anywhere on the 8T?

Why is this so elusive in 2020??? I used to do this on my HTC in 2008!

2. Starcommander
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Dec 9, 2020

Gor. likes this.
  3. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Dec 9, 2020

dsmonteiro , Dec 9, 2020 :
    Hi there,

Are you referring to different volumes or different sounds per app? If you're referring to the former, it was one of the ideas that was selected from our IDEAS 2.0 campaign, as you can find here. If you're talking about the latter, that is defined on a per-app basis, you can find it under each app's settings.

Which one are you talking about?

4. Geeba
    Cupcake Dec 9, 2020

Geeba , Dec 9, 2020 :
    Hiya
    Thanks for the replies - much appreciated

I'm referring to having different sounds per app, currently if someone comes to my door the Ring doorbell notification is the same tune/bleep as SMS, WhatsApp, BBC news... everything all sounds the same.

The problem I can see is that not all apps support having their notification sound changed - I've just seen that whatsapp does indeed support it to a degree, but Ring Doorbell doesn't

I can't see why this cant be done at OS level? Apps and Notifications - click on the app you want to change and choose the sound? its how I remember phones in the past doing it.

Cheers

5. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Dec 9, 2020

dsmonteiro , Dec 9, 2020 :
    I'd assume that would conflict with the app-based settings. Still, there seem to be third-party apps that help you accomplish that, here's an article mentioning one:
    https://www.techuntold.com/set-different-notification-sounds-different-apps-android/

You can also submit a suggestion to have that implemented by selecting the Feedback option in the Community app.

Friar John Cor likes this.
  6. Xcommunicad0
    Lollipop Dec 9, 2020

Gor.V likes this.
  7. eastbay
    Lollipop Dec 9, 2020

Gor. likes this.
  8. deepak2255
    Gingerbread Dec 10, 2020

9. A.Saketh Gupta
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 10, 2020

10. Prathamesh
    Froyo Dec 10, 2020

Prathamesh , via OnePlus Nord , Dec 10, 2020 :
    You can still set separate notification sound in What's app settings
    In What's App
    Tap on 3 dots > Notification

Form here you can change notification or call sound

13. iam_hari
    Honeycomb Dec 11, 2020

14. Geeba
    Cupcake Dec 17, 2020

Geeba , Dec 17, 2020 :
    You can only if the app supports it... otherwise they all default to the same one - which if I'm honest is rubbish!

I can change it on my OP 3T which even displayed a different colour LED indication for different apps... but not a 5 year newer handset.... which is just crazy - as I wrote in my opening comment I could do this on my HTC phones back in the early 2000's and from memory even my old Windows Mobile phones supported this.

Every app I use has the same sound... from my bank to SMS to the news....

This is BASIC stuff OP!!!!! please address it!

15. Geeba
    Cupcake Dec 17, 2020

Geeba , Dec 17, 2020 :
    But its not really an idea... thats my point, it's basic stuff that has been a baked in feature on handsets since the early days of smart phones....

16. MOiN_KHaN55
    Cupcake Dec 17, 2020

17. Friar John Cor
    Cupcake Dec 30, 2020

Friar John Cor , Dec 30, 2020 :
    Yes, you seem to be completely right: this is going to be the only option to put separate signals on the different apps! Thank you very much indeed for the tip!

18. McDoogan83
    Cupcake Aug 6, 2021

McDoogan83 , Aug 6, 2021 :
    I have just bought an 8T and love the phone (I have moved from iPhone, to Samsung Galaxy S9, now to the 8T) and I am frustrated by the default setting of having one notification tone for all apps. Even those that have their own well-known tone, such as Sky News, seems to have that disabled by the phone in favour of a default for all. I have seen how some can be changed, but a further frustration is with Outlook mail app. It has its own tones for received and sent mail, however when you go to select a notification tone for received mail, there are only the phone's preset options (left photo in the attached). Yes when you go to select a tone for sent mail, it shows three Outlook tones o_O (right photo in the attached). Please tell me how this is even logical, unless I am missing something?!

Attached Files:

19. X1634389291740
    Cupcake Oct 22, 2021

X1634389291740 , via OnePlus Nord , Oct 22, 2021 :
    That do not work. i put even my sound settings off in whatsapp and still got thé same ringtone