Setting up a new OPO by a newbie

1. oneplusfoz
    Cupcake Apr 17, 2015

oneplusfoz , Apr 17, 2015 :
    Setup of new OPO

I’m waiting on the delivery of a new OPO for my wife. She had her last phone stolen from a side pocket of her purse. She didn’t have it well set up (no contacts, no android device manager, no gmail etc) so I thought I would help set this one up for her. I’ve started a list of ‘to do’ items for when it arrives. We both have macs, but I do have a windows machine as well. I have a locked down work BB and I’ve never customized a phone. I want to install some security software, and for extra features will probably require root access. I’ve installed libraries before and currently do basic admin on a linux cluster, so I’m not a total newbie, but I am a newbie on android.

Here is what I’ve been able to figure out so far. Am I missing anything in this list that I should do? How about creating a new list that would benefit other new users. Or a few lists based on technical skill and desired results. (Basic, Intermediate and Advanced) Anyways, here goes.

1. Turn on, do basic setup- wifi, google accounts

2. Update to CM12s- is this automatic? Or should I go with Oxygen-may as well start at the newest OS version before making any changes.

3. Want to install Cerebus- need to root for features? (Is it possible to disable the power key to stall thief)

4. If I need to root. Install OPO Toolkit on Windows machine, download needed drivers, follow instructions on this site. I also just found a video on how to install Oxygen using a Mac- not sure if this roots the device or not.

5. Set up mail forwarding from regular email account to her gmail. She doesn’t use gmail at the moment. But I’ve heard that android will parse things like airline reservations into the phone calendar, so that would be useful.

6. Set up gmail contacts from her mac contacts list- enable google syncing in the mac contact program.

7. Install Android File Transfer program (actually found out I need to do this in step 2 above if I install Oxygen) on her mac so she can access photo’s etc on the phone.
    Would setting up google drive for her and enabling photo syncing be an easier alternative?

8. ?

2. anthonyds5
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 17, 2015

anthonyds5 , Apr 17, 2015 :
    If you're new to Android then toy around with it till you get used to it. Afterwards it's whatever you want to do with it. It's your phone not ours. Explore the world of Android.

3. SugaDew
    Jelly Bean Apr 17, 2015

4. Deactivated User
    Apr 17, 2015

5. VJ218
    Donut Apr 17, 2015

VJ218 , Apr 17, 2015 :
    I'm on the same boat, I'm getting my OPO soon. Is the update (CM12s) automatic once I receive the phone? Meaning when I receive the phone will it have the CM12s already installed?

6. lievenp
    Froyo Apr 17, 2015

lievenp , Apr 17, 2015 :
    Yes the OTA is something that should go automatically, although if you wish tot manually check whether your update is ready or not go to settings>about phone>check for updates

7. kogi
    Honeycomb Apr 17, 2015

kogi , Apr 17, 2015 :
    1st thing you should do is unlock the bootloader. because it wipes your phone. best do it while it's squeaky clean

8. urbanfreestyle
    Gingerbread Apr 17, 2015

urbanfreestyle , Apr 17, 2015 :
    +1 for unlocking bootloader right away. That way you can always decide about rooting at a later date

9. DaxNagtegaal
    Marshmallow Apr 17, 2015

Niels_Andersen likes this.
  10. Niels_Andersen
    KitKat Apr 17, 2015

Niels_Andersen , Apr 17, 2015 :
    Root first, if you do it later and you probably will, you'll regret it, cause it's much more work then.

11. vinay.k.21
    Jelly Bean Apr 17, 2015

vinay.k.21 , Apr 17, 2015 :
    You don't have to go this detailed on contacts and file transfer application...
    Sign up with google account and keep adding contacts to google account right from your phone... If you happen to have old backup of contacts and get it to CSV format, just upload that file to contacts on google account on desktop... Flash your phone, change your phone do whatever, your contacts will be safe on google servers...
    There are several file manager applications on Play store... Just download any one you like... My personal favorite is File Manager HD. Elegant and smooth...

However, with regard to Cerberus App, I suggest you unlock bootloader as soon as you receive the device. Because unlocking bootloader will wipe your device clean. Install a TWRP recovery and Root as well. Use this guide if you want to do it on windows or this if on MAC. If you have a thing for tool kits go here
    After that download Cerberus disguised app package (zip file) and flash it. Why? Just go through this thread.

Welcome to OPO club

Update:- By "wipes you device clean" i mean factory reset.

12. oneplusfoz
    Cupcake Apr 17, 2015

oneplusfoz , Apr 17, 2015 :
    thanks for all the excellent advice and links! OK It seems like a very good idea to unlock the bootloader first, then proceed with the other steps.

Like any new device/technology this will be an interesting learning curve.

13. mpags01
    Eclair Apr 17, 2015