Share The Source Code?

1. TDroid074
    Gingerbread Jan 8, 2016

TDroid074 , Jan 8, 2016 :
    I completely agree with this philosophy. Developer support helped the OPO go from a good phone to a great phone. It appealed to a larger audience and in some sense, OnePlus' core audience. Taking that away makes OnePlus lose its appeal. Please let developers work on this and help the OPT become a great phone likes its predecessor.

2. TDroid074
    Gingerbread Jan 8, 2016

TDroid074 , Jan 8, 2016 :
    I think that OnePlus kept their source code because they believe it is a competitive advantage and as a way to differentiate from other OEMs. However, I think that if you look at the market, OEMs rarely make good software as Google, Cyanogen, or developers. Therefore I believe OnePlus should release this for developers. I think they should work on developing apps for their phone instead of focusing on building their OS.

rsc-pl likes this.
  3. aenews
    KitKat Jan 8, 2016

aenews , Jan 8, 2016 :
    I think my previous posts summarize my opinion pretty well :cool:

4. daninantro
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 9, 2016

daninantro , Jan 9, 2016 :
    i read somewhere that oneplus is releasing all the source codes/device trees after OOS 3 i.e android M update comes to our devices..hope its soon :)

5. unMOECKlich
    Gingerbread Jan 10, 2016

unMOECKlich , Jan 10, 2016 :
    Really? :eek:

6. aenews
    KitKat Jan 11, 2016

aenews , Jan 11, 2016 :
    Not sure about that, but you can read my previous posts :rolleyes:

7. Adityaf
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 11, 2016

Adityaf , Jan 11, 2016 :
    Kernel sources are out. Non of companies out their open source their ROM's. Nor they support devs and some void warranty after rooting. Read below for full explanation.

Yutopia is horrible. No Laser Auto Focus. No USB Type C. No EMMC 5.0. And it does have Cyanogen OS which sucks..
    It has a serious bug of fingerprint scanner. You can unlock it without touching fingerprint scanner. I repeat kernel sources are out. For full explanation read below.

Yeah. I agree with this one.

LoL. You aren't a random guy.
    Btw can i know what exact Fingerprint Scanner is used in this device??
    Problem seems with that company who provide oneplus these scanners.

Sources of this FPS isn't available so no dev can really make it work on device.

So what next?

I think they'll shift from these proprietary API to Android Native API which was available from Android 6.0

How that'll work?

It'll be easier for devs to build custom ROM's
    As kernel sources with Native API is available.

What about Laser Auto Focus?

As per as my knowledge. A dirty hack or reverse engineering will be good to go. If oneplus didn't release API for that. If API is released with Android M update it'll be nice and we can see more development.

Bruh that'll will really work?

Yes. Now it's oneplus's time to show how awesome they're. If they release all the necessary API and driver's. It'll be win win situation for op team.

P. S. Don't compare one plus two with yutopia. It's a piece of shit.

TekRantGaming likes this.
  8. JeJe007
    Gingerbread Jan 11, 2016

JeJe007 , Jan 11, 2016 :
    @Adityaf
    i am also with you. yutopia is a piece of costly sh*t .
    if it was 16k or so.it would have been a good phone thought. at 25k just waste.
    and bro i fear cyanogen powered device will hav more development than others except nexus . just check yureka and yuphoria gits also opo :(
    and yeah cyanogenos in yu fones are the buggest rom always.and most of them dont use it :p
    and btw yutopia also hav broken FP in custom roms :D
    so i think oneplus cant do anything about it in lollipop. in MM i feel we will get a full device tree :)

AND NEVER GONNA BUY YUTOPIA.WASTE OF MONEY GUARANTEED ...

9. karan.oneplus
    Froyo Jan 11, 2016

unMOECKlich likes this.
  10. otto2
    Photography Expert Jan 11, 2016

otto2 , Jan 11, 2016 :
    My opinion, why Oneplus is not releasing full source code? FULL code won t be possible because of: Possibillity to tweak / hack the GSM / WLAN / Bluetoothe chips for working out of standards , which will fcc and other authorities force to sue oneplus and / or the owner of such device.
    Also there could be some proprietary code , oneplus has no licence to release. Digging into code for such licenced parts is very intensive, do not forget: Oneplus is still a startup, just 2 years old, there s not enough manpower ,they will need their coders for way more important things like Bugfixing , and porting to Android M . I appreciatee the great work on the oneplus 2 camera. At first it was hard to handle, especially for people without basic knowledge in photography, but right now i do not use other apk s anymore , the stock one is enough for my everyday photography.
    Also possible, as noted before by another user here, they got some special coding tricks and do not want to give them to everyone for free.
    Maybe some staff member will tell us more, on our side it s all just speculation.
    BTW: I m not sure, if COS ( Original OS of Oneplusone) is full open source.

11. yahiroz
    Jelly Bean Jan 11, 2016

yahiroz , Jan 11, 2016 :
    This is the company: http://www.fingerprints.com/
    And this is the module used in the OP2: http://www.fingerprints.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/FPC1150-Product-Sheet.pdf

Was found in another thread similar to this, iFixit identified the model number with a teardown, which was then traced back to this company. Then, reading up on the site they don't allow open access to their drivers and has some sort of strict agreement with their client (in this case, OP).

otto2 and Adityaf like this.
  12. rsc-pl
    Gingerbread Jan 11, 2016

rsc-pl , Jan 11, 2016 :
    Yeah? But will it work for future android versions if they release it? I don't really know how things are woring in android development, but will it be compatible with higher android versions? If not, then it has no sense and the only right thing to do is sell this phone and buy something which has great support on XDA out-of-box. I was convinced that OP2 will be supported like OP1, it was the main reason why I bought this phone (like majority of OP2 users).

13. Adityaf
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 11, 2016

Adityaf , Jan 11, 2016 :
    Yes once they shift completely to Native FPS api they'll never use proprietary api anymore. Have some patience it'll have good development once they release 6.0....

14. yahiroz
    Jelly Bean Jan 11, 2016

yahiroz , Jan 11, 2016 :
    There's no proprietary API, there's proprietary drivers which is the main thing preventing the FP working on custom ROMs. All the API will do is allow apps to access the FP, but we'll still be missing the drivers that actually allows Android to know how to communicate with the FP.

Deactivated User likes this.
  15. Adityaf
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 12, 2016

Adityaf , Jan 12, 2016 :
    https://fsuch.oneplus.net/threads/marshmallow-upgrade-schedule-for-oneplus-devices.406778/

This would help you to understand a bit.

I quote from above thread
    The OnePlus 2 will also be updated in Q1, and the update will include the new standard Marshmallow API for the fingerprint sensor. We’ve heard requests for us creating an API for the current fingerprint implementation in OxygenOS, but have decided against this since we’re switching over to the standard Android M implementation soon.

There are no such thing

The OnePlus 2 will also be updated in Q1, and the update will include the new standard Marshmallow API for the fingerprint sensor. We’ve heard requests for us creating an API for the current fingerprint implementation in OxygenOS, but have decided against this since we’re switching over to the standard Android M implementation soon.

There are no such thing as driver's in Android. There is raw code. Driver's are for Windows.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016

MZO_ likes this.
  16. ogriff
    Jelly Bean Jan 12, 2016

ogriff , Jan 12, 2016 :
    Anyone on twitter should definitely read Grarak's recent posts.

He's not very happy.

17. jkb114
    Lollipop Jan 12, 2016

jkb114 , Jan 12, 2016 :
    Oxygen OS includes Third party propriatory software, which cannot be released without the owners permission, and Oneplus have already confirmed that they can't release it due to this

otto2 likes this.
  18. Dimmerworld
    Honeycomb Jan 12, 2016

Dimmerworld , Jan 12, 2016 :
    then remove it

19. ogriff
    Jelly Bean Jan 12, 2016

ogriff , Jan 12, 2016 :
    @Carl also went on to say they would, and then changed his rhetoric again by saying these will be available natively after the Oxygen marshmallow release.

You guys seems to be rehashing well documented information, you've even got me doing it now.

No offence intended but oneplus keep moving the goalposts.

There's little wonder that devs are getting frustrated.

20. jkb114
    Lollipop Jan 12, 2016

jkb114 , Jan 12, 2016 :
    You wouldn't have FP scanner, Lazer autofocus or quite a few other things
    Remember that it's not 100% up to them, they could be ready to release it but if another third party developer suddenly says no, they can't release it