Share your Never Settle story in the times of COVID-19

1. SRD.
    Lollipop Oct 13, 2021

SRD. , Oct 13, 2021 :
    So good to know about the happiness with your present job.

Nice story Fam!

Gor., the_o2 and Dresa91 like this.
  2. ShreyasPatil_
    Jelly Bean Oct 13, 2021

ShreyasPatil_ , Oct 13, 2021 :
    First of all, Thank You, @dsmonteiro, for arranging this contest. I went through all the stories and decided to write mine too.

So here's my Never Settle Story:

Fun Times:

Just before covid broke out in India, I was having the most joyful time of college life. There were back-to-back cricket leagues on our campus. And I was selected by the sports academy to be a part of the photography team for the T20 cup and in the IT team for an international cricket event.
    photo_2021-10-14_01-15-20.jpg IMG_20200311_204338.jpg

Arrival of Covid:

The tournament was suspended as a precautionary measure to COVID, and the university announced a 2-week vacation. It was a much-needed break as a lot of assignments were pending, and I enjoyed the holidays. But it kept extending further. And soon, everything became digital (online lectures and exams).

I was in an area that had no cases of virus for 2-3 months. So I was enjoying the freedom. But soon, one patient was detected positive, and it became a chain reaction.

In Sept 2020, my entire family tested positive, and we were tensed. Lots of medicines and phone calls from everyone were continuously there.

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-14 at 1.02.05 AM.jpeg

We were under quarantine for almost 1.5 months. After four tests, we finally got cured of the virus.

InkedIMG_20200906_113317.jpg

Expansion:

While we were able to get through this safely, we lost a lot of relatives and friends. Some were in their old age, while some had just begun their career. It was heartbreaking, and we couldn't even bid them a goodbye due to movement restrictions.

Vaccinated:

My family and my friends have been completely vaccinated, and since then, everything has been great. However harmful the situation went, we all were positive in the tough times.

The forums are always there for a change in the routine. There are a lot of exciting contests hosted by the team. Along with those, there are informational articles regarding everything happening in the era of digitalization. It's a pleasure to be a part of the community.

YRJ, dom_k, McJader and 8 others like this.
  3. atenaa
    Lollipop Oct 13, 2021

atenaa , Oct 13, 2021 :
    On March 16, 2020 (I will never forget this day), our country (and the rest of the world) stopped. We were afraid to go outside. We were afraid to touch anything that had been outside. We disinfected everything… really everything. All purchases were “quarantined” in the garage for some days until we brought them into the house. We were afraid of being with other person… afraid to touch someone… no more hugs, kisses, caresses… It was almost surreal…but it really happened…😶😶😶😶

We had to start working from home... On the one hand it was good because we could work in our pajamas, but on the other hand it was very sad because we were alone... With video calls we could talk to our colleagues , but it wasn't the same thing... 😟😟😟

As I was working from home, and as the country was “almost stopped” I had more time (and the boss's eyes were farther away), so I started visiting this wonderful community more regularly. At first, I just hovering, but then I started to post on the threads (Wormhole specially 🤗🤗🤗) and to interact in activities and contests (Won some prizes!:D). I found here a lot of wonderful people who I already consider friends. 🤗This community, all of you, was my company and also my encouragement during the entire time we were in lockdown. I always received from you a smile, a hello, a joke, lots of love... 🥰 Thank you all so much for never leaving me alone. You are my virtual family. ❣️❣️❣️

YRJ, dom_k, McJader and 8 others like this.
  4. the_o2
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Oct 14, 2021

the_o2 , Oct 14, 2021 :
    🙏🏼🤗

Thank you :)

5. H1630107838808 , via OnePlus Nord N10 5G T-Mobile , Oct 14, 2021 :
    Never settle means that you have to put your best out there to help other's. My future wife and myself manage a restaurant. During covid some of our customers where on hard times. We found out that some of them didn't even know how to cook. A lot of restaurant s in our area closed. So we got to know some of our customers very well. Our boss didn't believe in giving bonuses to us for working through covid. But to me everything was worth while of doing it. It cost us an extra 3 grand using lift and uber to get home at night when the buses stopped running early but we never gave up to me our customers are family and yes I do go out of my way to treat them that way to the point of me doing little things to make them smile when they where down. People should matter more then just the money in August me and my future wife where attacked at work by two non regular customers. They tried to break our spirit by using a 2 by 4 to hit us. Others would have stopped doing customer service work after such an attack but we couldn't I couldn't let our 7 month old daughter learn that you give up that easily. Yes our daughter was born in march during covid. Everyone says covid has made this year the worst. To me even with everything bad that has happened it has been a great year. I have an amazing lady and a beautiful little girl. May you all have a great year and stay safe and healthy

YRJ, Gor. and Bobbie63 like this.
  6. thechangingtime
    Honeycomb Oct 14, 2021

thechangingtime , Oct 14, 2021 :
    It was January 2020 and I was planning a ski weekend as I had not gone skiing in a few years. I also was planning to attend the 2020 MLS All Star Game in Los Angeles and a summer trip to Croatia. There was information floating around about a new variation of the coronavirus at that time named novel coronavirus that was spreading around in parts of China and some other countries, but the majority of cases were in China. Around March 2020 the WHO declared covid-19 a pandemic and soon countries were going into lockdown and there went all my plans. So everyone was working from home and there were even curfews at night. Stuck at home except for necessary trips outside for food or medicine. So with many recreational activities no longer available I like everyone else spent more time online, including greater participation in forums like the OnePlus Community forum. And having amusement provided by other members of the community.

Finally covid-19 vaccines were authorized in January 2021 and high risk and essential workers were eligible to receive the vaccine first. I finally was able to get my vaccine in April 2021 and I was able to attend the MLS All Star Game in Aug. 2021 which was postponed from 2020. Things are still not back to pre covid-19 as you need to be vaccinated to go to movie theatres, the gym, museums, for in-door dining, broadway plays but it is getting to what I believe will be the new normal.

Gor. and Bobbie63 like this.
  7. Moka24
    Froyo Oct 14, 2021

Moka24 , Oct 14, 2021 :
    I am Moka Eswar and I stay in the Uttarakhand state of India for Education. Things were very normal at the start of March. I have celebrated Holi in first week and went on a trip to Amritsar on second week. Though there were talks about COVID, we never knew it will become a pandemic, and were roaming around happily.

upload_2021-10-14_14-54-28.jpeg
    Celebrating Holi for the first time in North India (Few Days Before Lockdown)

When the lockdown was started in third week of March, 2020, I was in my hostel and everything is closed for the first two days - including our food mess as workers weren't able to come. We survived on Maggi and some snacks, but the real trouble started when another two days have passed. Having no way, we had to pool in money, bring a cook with special access to get food for every student. This eventually turned into a student-run mess by the end of March, 2020 and lockdown became a new-normal.

(My Entry for a "Stay Strong" Community Contest during Lockdown)

My daily schedule was sleeping at 5 am, waking up at 7 am to get the snacks or mess groceries, sleeping again till 2 pm. Being an hard-time introvert, I enjoyed every moment of the lockdown to the core. I have few freelance works for online tutoring that kept me going with daily expenses. Also, April 2020 is the first time when I purchased a Netflix subscription and watched Dark, Money Heist before the became famous and a cool-guy thing. I started and finsihed Big Bang Theory, Two and Half Men during this period. Indian Gamer Mortal is also one constant person who made me feel happy with his daily YouTube Livestreams. During this time, we also donated food packets to the local workers and residents from the left-over money collected for monthly mess charges. It felt good giving food directly to the needy.

upload_2021-10-14_15-0-4.jpeg
    (A Snap of Mortal's 10-hour stream to lift the spirit of his subscribers)
    Few weeks later, April last week arrived and OnePlus 8 Pro was launched. I am a Nokia 6 user for over 3 years at that point of time and couldn't wait to get hands on 8 Pro, but the sales were kept on delaying in India due to extended lockdown. However, I bought it during first sale in June 2020 and that completely changed by relationship with community. Till then, I used to rarely visit community app, but with 8 Pro I felt more close and interaction increased. I got selected for a OEF, User Interviews and many such things giving me some memories of exclusive merchandise to boast among friends.

upload_2021-10-14_14-57-56.jpeg
    (First look of my OnePlus 8 Pro)

upload_2021-10-14_14-58-5.jpeg
    (Watching AR Launch of Nord Phone - I miss Carl)

upload_2021-10-14_15-0-56.jpeg
    (A Ben 10 rakhi sent by my sister as I couldb't travel home in August)

upload_2021-10-14_15-1-4.jpeg
    (Weekend Cycling trip when things where slowy becoming normal)

upload_2021-10-14_15-2-43.jpeg
    (IPL Started in September and my support helped Hyderabad successfully reach Qualifiers 2)
    Although this seems like a happy story, there's more to it. Staying away from parents during this lockdown increased my confidence levels to manage myself and lead the students for a happy stay. Our monthly stipend is temporarily delayed due to shutdown of headquarters in Delhi and it showed how Important it is to have backup income options like I had freelance earning.

upload_2021-10-14_14-56-25.jpeg
    (My Look in the middle of Lockdown)

upload_2021-10-14_15-3-2.jpeg
    (I travelled to my Home, Hyderabad in last week of November)

upload_2021-10-14_15-2-55.jpeg
    (OnePlus Warpcharge Stations at Delhi Airport)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021

8. Abhishek654
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2 Oct 14, 2021

Abhishek654 , Oct 14, 2021 :
    First of all, Thank You, @dsmonteiro, for arranging this contest.

So here's my Never Settle Story:

Everyone's life has been going negative. It's too frustrating during the second wave, especially if you are living in Delhi.

I was in total shock when the cases of death rose in no time in Delhi.

The lucky part is I got stuck with my family who has been a constant support.

After receiving all the bad news from friends and relatives, it was a difficult task to manage any kind of positivity.

My work is all about app development etc but I did not even have the way out to do that because everyone around is suffering.

I eventually planned to keep myself occupied.

I started gardening, Playing COD with my couisons and a little workout.

It did work for a few days.

Meanwhile, cousins and I decided to cook food for the needy poor kids who were sleeping hungry after we came across a few kids who were begging for food near the grocery store we went shopping.

This brought a complete change in our lives.

We wake up, cook for the kids, pack them in a proper clean fashion, go to those places with the car, and distribute the food with proper precautions, come home and eat the same food we cooked.

We have lunch every day after 4 PM.

Sometimes we get exhausted given the amount of work we need to do with so little time.

Cooking is time-consuming, washing the big utensils and going out to distribute are tiresome jobs and we do it every day, without fail. We get exhausted but at the end of the day, it feels like a win.

We have brought food for stray dogs to feed them as well. It's such a beautiful feeling, especially when we are there for them during this sultry heat of Delhi.

It keeps us busy.

It makes us follow the rules very strictly.

It makes us feel very positive.

It keeps the kid's stomachs full.

It gives us proper sleep after a tiring day.

Covid has taught us to value small things in life.

I promise to never waste food.

Covid has affected my life very negatively but has made me find a positive vibe in every possible way.

9. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Oct 14, 2021

Bobbie63 , Oct 14, 2021 :
    Thanks for sharing your story. The only thing is, unfortunately I can’t see the pictures you’ve attached.
    Screenshot_20211014-092406.jpg

Moka24, Gor., SRD. and 1 other person like this.
  10. Moka24
    Froyo Oct 14, 2021

Moka24 , Oct 14, 2021 :
    I edited it now. Might be due to the links I shared directly from google photos. Because I can see them clearly, but if I open in incognito, they were not available.

SRD., Gor. and Bobbie63 like this.
  11. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Oct 14, 2021

Bobbie63 , Oct 14, 2021 :
    They are visible now, thanks. :)

Moka24, Gor. and Dresa91 like this.
  12. DIA00
    Donut Oct 14, 2021

DIA00 , via OnePlus Community App , Oct 14, 2021 :
    Hello @dsmonteiro
    Thank you for dictating this contest .

I personally think that OnePlus's brand statement or moto really suits them well . And Never Settle is my personal favourite because it basically tells us to always try to achieve more while being grateful for what you have . That right there gives an answer to many of my questions growing up .

The past 2 years in pandemic has surely given me time to think and learn and i am very grateful for that . I also turned 18🥂🎉 in this pandemic which might not sound very exciting but it was all fine for me .I got my new OnePlus Phone and earbuds ( my first phone as previously i used a hand-me - down one from my parents ) and i really like the aesthetic which is why i decided to buy OnePlus in the first place.OnePlus has its own asthetic way different from the smartphones in the race because in a way it not just gives us an efficient technology but also an experience that one should strive for more rather than a materialistic thing .
    I can't exactly tell if these past two years have been good or bad because i can't imagine the path that i would have taken if all of this did not happen . But that being said i am very grateful that my family and I are safe and sound in these times as well . I have learnt a lot and grew a lot as well . Have found some really good music in this pandemic and have also grown some really good habits to help me in the future . I am also really grateful for my friends , who have helped me and cheered me at times and i have also made the smae efforts from my side to make sure of the same .
    All of this was possible only because of the time and the situation and ofcourse the spirit to Never Settle and always look forward to achieving more.

1634207873498.jpg

1634207873527.jpg

psygarden, dom_k, SRD. and 3 others like this.
  13. mas050366
    Cupcake Oct 14, 2021

mas050366 , via OnePlus 8T T-Mobile , Oct 14, 2021 :
    I will start by praying to God for keeping me and my family safe during this pandemic. We had covid last December but didn't have any bad reaction from that and we went through this illness thank to God.

14. Starcommander
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Oct 14, 2021

Starcommander , Oct 14, 2021 :
    On the night of 25th March 2020, a nationwide lockdown was declared. Initially, I thought that the lockdown would last for a maximum of fifteen days. Never in my wildest dreams, I could have imagined it to be the last day at my college. In the initial days of lockdown, I played Asphalt 9 with a group of OnePlus friends and enjoyed life but with time, I began to realise the severity of this pandemic. Lockdown was further extended which begun to irritate me. With time, it took a toll on my mental health.

During that period, college placement had begun. Being a class topper, I was overconfident. I was devastated after getting rejected. I broke down. I couldn’t figure out my mistake. I cried all night. I needed help, but no one came forward. I felt very lonely. My family supported me, and I prepared myself for the next company. To my bad luck, our home wifi stopped working during the online exam and I couldn’t submit it. To add to my rejections list, I was also getting rejected in OnePlus programs. During that period, I was part of an unofficial OnePlus grp. To add to my pain, a few folks who were selected in the OnePlus program made fun of my rejections. I was shattered. I decided to leave all the OnePlus groups and focus on my carrier. A ray of hope arrived when I was selected for accessories tester.

It was in December when one of my tweets made someone block me on Twitter. I felt really bad and realised my mistake. That was the turning point of my life. The very next day, one of the biggest recruiters arrived at our college. During the interview, I made sure to think twice before answering. I changed my focus from impressing to expressing myself. On 27th December, I was the only person in the entire department to be placed in that company. That was the last day of my rejection.

If I had no rejections, I would have never learned the important life lessons. If I was never blocked, I would never have looked myself into the mirror. I made mistakes, learnt from them and never gave up. Tough times don’t last but tough people do. That’s me and my never settle story.

Moka24, dom_k, Gor. and 7 others like this.
  15. SRD.
    Lollipop Oct 14, 2021

SRD. , Oct 14, 2021 :
    As I have said it to you earlier also, You are a born 🌟. You don't need to be worried.
    Rejections only made you stronger.
    And about the help part, you know that we are there with you. Always.

16. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Oct 14, 2021

YRJ , Oct 14, 2021 :
    I started writing about an hour ago and now I have finished approximately 2-3 chapters of what could become my debut novella. Now I'm wondering if I should take an axe and shorten it or just attach a link to google doc instead :sweatsmile:

SRD., Gor. and Dresa91 like this.
  17. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Oct 14, 2021

Dresa91 , Oct 14, 2021 :
    Do post a tl;dr variant here and the link :p

SRD., Starcommander and YRJ like this.
  18. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Oct 14, 2021

YRJ , Oct 14, 2021 :
    I just prepared a TL;DR version which seems to require another TL;DR of its own.

Yup, this one's going to be a long night. :rolleyes::D

SRD., Gor. and Dresa91 like this.
  19. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Oct 14, 2021

Dresa91 , Oct 14, 2021 :
    Okay, let’s say:
    A tl;dr spoiler, the tl;dr variant and the link:)

YRJ likes this.