Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdnfarmer
    Photography Expert Community Expert Mar 2, 2020

cdnfarmer , Mar 2, 2020 :
    1265079-6e3eee018bb08f32df18717acc9ad71a.png

Dear Shutterbugs,

Welcome to March.

February was a busy month for the photography experts team (@woSch , @Bouncer71 ,@otto2, @TibiTibi ,@hennes, @script and myself) reviewing many pictures of bridges. Thank you to all those who provided their own quality pictures. We also worked as a team to come up with a new theme.

Theme for March: the lonely or solitude tree.

This notion appealed to us because it emphasizes many key photography concepts such as composition, rule of thirds, selecting the main item, and potential other factors (e.g. the sky, field, colour, etc) used to create an award winning picture. Furthermore, nature surrounds and with its importance, we can find a tree in a random spot that looks good, strong or even makes one think... how can it grow there?

For this month, find that single, mighty tree and capture it to show its beauty.

For this contest, we are looking for your own and original work. The picture MUST be taken by YOU on a OnePlus device. Once you have met those criteria, please add your pictures to this thread and write what device you used, what editing software and external lens were used (if any). The best way to upload your pictures is described in the HOWTO by @TibiTibi.

All official contest rules are stated in the follow-up post. If you want to take part in the contest, please read that post carefully.

We also like to introduce a new advanced theme thread:

Photo enthusiasts and their approach in photography

@script had the idea to invite guest photographers from the forum to share their approaches in photography. Our first guest is the award winner user of the year 2019, @B.I.T.S.. Bolita a.k.a B.I.T.S brings great perspectives in photography. She describes having a plan, looking around to see what may influence the picture, and patiently waiting to seize the moment. Have a look at her gorgeous picture and what she did to capture it. There are many good learnings anyone can use. Moreover, these learnings emphasizes the photography concepts describe above in a practical way.

A few additional resources you can use:

All the best for the new contest.

Have fun in the photography section.

Regards,

cdnfarmer

Winner of the First Week
    march1_winner.jpg
    By @kunalphotography; A lonely Eve; Shot on OnePlus 7 Pro; Pro mode (RAW);
    Edited in Photoshop Lightroom mobile

Winner of the Second Week
    march2_an.jpg
    By @ankitgondalia; Shot on OnePlus 7T Pro; Edited with Lightroom.

Winner of the Third Week
    march3_Dimesk.jpg
    By @Dimshek; Northern Finland (Saariselka); Shot on OnePlus 6; Edited with Lightroom

Winner of the Fourth Week
    1266619-047e71975c85c19260b2e89d3d1bd824.jpg
    By @kirankumar7348; Shot on OnePlus 5; Edited with Lightroom

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020

2. script
    Nougat Moderator Mar 2, 2020

Stickied Post
    script , Mar 2, 2020 :
    Contest Rules
    • 3 pictures max. per post, 4 posts max. in the whole month
    • All pictures must contain a single tree as main subject
    • All pictures have to be your own work and have to be taken with a OnePlus device
    • All pictures have to be taken within the past 12 months
    • State the specific device/ editing software/ hardware (extra lenses)
    • Photos should not be published previously anywhere. OnePlus reserves the right to request original photo files before fulfilling prizes if plagiarism is suspected. The photos that can not be verified are disqualified.
    • Copyright infringement is strictly prohibited. Users who post pictures that were copied from the internet, or were not taken with an OnePlus device, get a code of conduct warning, plus a reply-ban for the contest for the actual plus the following two months.

Additional info
    • SOOP is a monthly contest with a new theme every month
    • 1 winner per week, 4 winners per month who will all receive an Explorer Backpack
    • Final winner will be selected through public voting on Twitter. The final winning picture will be sticked on top of the OnePlus Twitter account.
    • Winners will also get the opportunity to be featured in an official OnePlus calendar, or a postcard, or even in an Addition magazine.

The pre-selection team consists of: @Bouncer71 , @cdnfarmer , @hennes , @otto2 , @script , @TibiTibi , and @woSch . We check all pictures of the contest, discuss, which we think are the best, and collect them in a separate thread. Then this group of experts, plus OnePlus staff members, go in a second round through that collection and nominate the 4 or 5 best pictures of the current week. Out of this elite the final weekly winning picture gets selected. Its really a long and careful process.

Finally, the selected picture has to get checked! Therefore its needed to contact the person that has posted the picture, ask him or her to send in the original uncompressed file, to get the EXIF data checked. Only after that final check the winning picture can be announced in the forum. And again, its never settle.

3. script
    Nougat Moderator Mar 6, 2020

Stickied Post
    script , Mar 6, 2020 :

Ps. There are only very few posts that really match the contest requirements.

All photos need one single, solitude tree as main object. Is that too complicated?

Three pictures max. per post.

Doesn't sound like rocket science to me:)

Ofc, have fun, but your pictures only have a chance to win this contest, when they fulfill the requirements.

Cheers, Script

4. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Mar 8, 2020

Stickied Post
    TibiTibi , Mar 8, 2020 :
    Hi, keep in mind the contest theme -
    The (single/solitaire) tree.
    Not forest full of exact trees, nor just top or branch of the tree. The tree should be the main component.

Yes it could be somewhere hard to find the right tree but keep searching.
    :cool: Hints
    • Be creative, play with composition, apply cropping, try different angles and perspective...
    • Find the tree, go around, reserve time to capture.
    • Or try to separate the tree from the surroundings.
    • Do not post two similar or same photos.
    • Follow the contest rules
    In the photography subforum there are maybe better theme threads for showing off topic captures.

Be critical and...
    Later I will maybe delete this post.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020

5. Zach X.
    Community Team Staff Member Mar 12, 2020

Stickied Post
    Zach X. , Mar 12, 2020 :
    Congratulations on winning the first week of Mar SOOP (Mar 1 ~ Mar 7)!!!

6. Zach X.
    Community Team Staff Member Mar 18, 2020

Stickied Post
    Zach X. , Mar 18, 2020 :
    Congratulations on winning the second week of Shot on OnePlus this month!

7. Zach X.
    Community Team Staff Member Mar 25, 2020

Stickied Post
    Zach X. , Mar 25, 2020 :
    Congratulations on being selected as the winner of the third week of Mar SOOP!

8. Zach X.
    Community Team Staff Member Apr 15, 2020

Stickied Post
    Zach X. , Apr 15, 2020 :
    Congratulations on winning the final week of Mar Shot on OnePlus!!

otto2, script, cdnfarmer and 2 others like this.
  9. Neoni_dsouza
    Cupcake Mar 2, 2020

10. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Mar 2, 2020

YRJ , Mar 2, 2020 :
    Sounds like a great theme. Also, an opportunity to look back and focus on how rapidly we are cutting down trees for our personal benefits.
    Hopefully, this theme also creates awareness.

Congratulations on being the host @cdnfarmer

Edit:
    • //Week.1 Submissions//
    IMG_20191009_163903__01-01_002.jpg
    The photo was taken when, I had newly received my OnePlus 7T and was working on my OnePlus 7T Lab Review. In the middle of this huge park, where almost every tree was along the sides, this one tree seemed out of place, basking in all the limelight. The arrangement was such that it all made for a great composition.

Device: OnePlus 7T
    Mode: Auto
    Camera App: Stock
    Retouched in Snapseed

2. ​
    4965-01_001.jpg

This picture was taken late in the night, while I was waiting for a train back home. I fished out my phone from the pocket and clicked an almost pitch black setting in night mode. I was amazed by the results.

Shot on: OnePlus 7T
    Mode: Night Mode
    Camera App: Stock
    Retouched in Snapseed.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020

11. otto2
    Photography Expert Mar 2, 2020

otto2 , Mar 2, 2020 :
    OK, so i ll start with some shots:
    Device: Oneplus 7 Pro, no external lenses, no edits, no filters, stock cam App, automode. Compressed with yaimco by@hennes

IMG_20191208_180014_001.jpg

Slowakia, High Tatra mountains.

IMG_20191020_091615_001.jpg

Germany ,near Erkrath.

IMG_20190929_175512_003.jpg

I take the challenge and will try to shoot some pictures especially for this contest

12. Zach X.
    Community Team Staff Member Mar 2, 2020

14. B.I.T.S.
    User of the Year 2019 Mar 2, 2020

B.I.T.S. , Mar 2, 2020 :
    Thank you @cdnfarmer and @script (and the rest of photography experts of course) for this new month and for inviting me to the special new feature!

Funnily enough the first photo I ever presented to a contest was a lonely tree, which was also one of the first photos I took with my DSLR when I got it. So this brings great memories!!

Let's see what this month brings us :cool:

15. blueskywhale
    Honeycomb Mar 2, 2020

16. SubhashNayak
    Honeycomb Mar 2, 2020

SubhashNayak , Mar 2, 2020 :
    If you see a lonely tree in the middle of nowhere, plant a tree next to it!

But first, take a picture for the contest! Don't forget to plant a tree somewhere, someday and do a bit for the Environment!!

1583181125177.jpg

Found this lonely tree in the middle of desert in Dubai. It is in Al Qudra Oasis and there is a Swan Lake next to it which attracts tourists, families.

PS: You are actually seeing a Rotated image of a Reflection!
    Shot using OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren Edition
    Edited using Lightroom

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020

17. blueskywhale
    Honeycomb Mar 2, 2020

blueskywhale , via OnePlus 5T , Mar 2, 2020 :
    yes, it's hard to find a lonely tree here

18. sumitMZ007
    Honeycomb Mar 2, 2020

rajeshnayar and Azaimeon like this.
  19. bunny44
    Donut Mar 2, 2020

20. SubhashNayak
    Honeycomb Mar 2, 2020

SubhashNayak , Mar 2, 2020 :
    Haha, that's true. But then, that's the point of the contest. Never Settle! Keep wandering! :D

21. Janssoni
    Donut Mar 2, 2020

Attached Files:

22. bhaumikbheda , via OnePlus 7T Frosted Silver , Mar 2, 2020 :
    I really like this month's theme! it is definitely going to be very challenging to find a solitude tree! I am not sure if I even took such a picture in the past 12 months!!

Goodluck everyone! Looking forward to see some amazing and creative entries!

aj2989, Bouncer71, script and 5 others like this.
  23. jlasensiofi
    KitKat Mar 2, 2020

jlasensiofi , Mar 2, 2020 :
    Fantastic theme of the month @cdnfarmer and @script

Thank you and congratulations for everything you do, for the topic and for that promising thread of the Photo Talk that has so brightly started @ B.I.T.S.

When I grow up I want to be like you ;):grinning::laughing:

hennes, woSch, Bouncer71 and 7 others like this.
  24. cdnfarmer

Thank you.

great. Thanks for posting some no nice pictures Otto

:) Merci. It's a great pleasure working with such a wonderful team.

thanks. It is great working with you. I highly recommend everyone have a look at your post.

thanks have fun exploring. Looking forward to what you find.

Have fun everyone capturing the themed pictures.

For all other pictures taken this month can be shared in the regular non contest thread.

hennes, woSch, Bouncer71 and 7 others like this.
  25. N1539404642835
    Donut Mar 2, 2020

Attached Files:

26. cdnfarmer

Thanks. Please keep being yourself and great. I Enjoy looking at your pictures and reading your jokes. Take care

27. jlasensiofi , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Mar 2, 2020 :
    Oooooooooh, infinite thanks for those words, they make me very happy. Thanks and take care too [e]1f64c[/e][e]1f64f[/e]

Bouncer71, script, cdnfarmer and 2 others like this.