Shot on OnePlus May - Circles

1. hennes
    YaImCo Developer May 1, 2021

hennes , May 1, 2021 :
    title01.jpg

Dear shutterbugs,

I'm Hennes, this month it is my turn to host the monthly contest thread because this month it is all about what i love, mathematics.... Ok, I don't want to scare you, it's not about mathematics but about a certain part of mathematics, it's about geometry, and specifically about the shape of circles.

But, first of all I would like to thank @BetiK for hosting the great Shot on OnePlus April - Yellow. Thanks for that, there were great pictures and a great host. Thank you @BetiK.

Shot on OnePlus May - Circles

Circles and round objects in any form, they meet us everywhere, sometimes we see them, sometimes we need a microscope to see them, or a telescope and now and then we do not see them at all and only assume that they are there.

If we do not see them, then it can be black holes, we need a microscope, then it could be viruses, yes we live just in such a time, the earth is round, even if there are incorrigible ones of a flat earth speak. We are dominated by a round virus and now and then one would like to take a telescope in the hand and wander into the distance to see other stars or galaxies, which are round or oval, depending upon view.

We can also talk about Pi, the circle number or also Ludolph's number or Archimedes constant, briefly about 3.1415926535... hmmm short is probably relative here, but hey, a Pie has also a Pi, and would also make a great photo. We shouldn't confuse Phi with Pi though, we should keep it in mind in the pictures we make, because Phi is also known as the Golden Ratio, or just the Rule of Thirds.

1.jpg

Whether it's round, oval, circular or spherical, that's what we should be concerned with this month, you can find it outside, but even those stuck in lockdown can find it at home, whether it's the flower pot from below where roots are coming out of the hole, well captured and well staged this can be a great picture, or if it is outside, and whether you capture the beautiful world of nature, or the fascination of buildings with circular windows, or circular flowers, everything is allowed as long as it is circular, oval or in some way round.

2.jpg
    Of course we didn't choose this "round" just because, we want to celebrate the first OnePlus Watch with this round, because it is round and not angular, even if others think angular is the new round, OnePlus designed it that way and I'm happy that we have a really nice theme with it to have an allusion for the first smartwatch from OnePlus, accordingly I would like to point out that I ask not to take pictures of watches just because it is circular.

3.jpg
    Have you ever wondered why we have round lenses but get square pictures?
    A round lens is rotatable, which is useful for lens shifting, and furthermore, a round lens has a border of equal thickness, which a square lens simply wouldn't have because there are corners. But also because a round lens is simply easier to adjust. That is, metaphorically speaking, we would normally take round images, only the sensor then crops the round image and makes it square. Keep that in mind with your images, because often a round object can't really be staged well because the image is square.

upload_2021-4-27_14-5-59.png

In the course of taking pictures with round objects, I exchanged ideas with the photo experts and funny things came up, one picture I took turned out to be this:

6.jpg
    Thanks to @woSch for the idea and the implementation

And after that I got another picture without it being edited. Those who know the film "Short Circuit" can certainly remember the look of number 5, and this picture reminded me exactly of it:

7.jpeg
    Thanks to @cdnfarmer for this photo

In this sense, it only remains for me to say, have fun photographing, take your time to find your object, to have the right light and to stage it accordingly, so that in the end a nice successful picture comes out.

Contest Rules
    • 1 winner per week (1-7/8-14/15-21/22-end of the month), 4 winners per month who all will receive a OnePlus 9 Series Jacket
    • 3 pictures max. per post, 4 posts max. in the whole month
    • All pictures have to be taken within the current month, maximum is the last week of April!!!!
    • State the specific device/ editing software/ hardware (extra lenses)
    • OnePlus reserves the right to request original photo files before fulfilling prizes if plagiarism is suspected. The photos that can not be verified are disqualified.
    • Copyright infringement is strictly prohibited. Users who post pictures that were copied from the internet, or were not taken with an OnePlus device, get a code of conduct warning, plus a reply-ban for the contest for the actual plus the following two months.
    • Terms and Conditions applied.

How Do We Select Winners?

The pre-selection team
    consists of: @Bouncer71, @cdnfarmer, @hennes, @otto2, @script, @TibiTibi, and @woSch. We check all pictures of the contest, discuss, which we think are the best, and collect them in a separate thread. Then this group of experts, plus OnePlus staff members, go in a second round through that collection and nominate the 4 or 5 best pictures of the current week. Out of this elite the final weekly winning picture gets selected. It's really a long and careful process.

Finally, the selected picture has to get checked! Therefore it's needed to contact the person that has posted the picture, ask him or her to send in the original uncompressed file, to get the EXIF data checked. Only after that final check the winning picture can be announced in the forum. And again, it's never settle.

Additional Reading

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2021

2. netihom
    Froyo May 11, 2021

Stickied Post
    netihom , via OnePlus 7 Pro , May 11, 2021 :
    Here is a list of items you need for steel wool photography:

1. Camera And Lens Or Either , You Use Mobile Phone .
    (I shot My Steelwool On My OnePlus 7 pro!!)

2. A sturdy tripod and shutter release cable;

3. A dark location;

4. Steel wool;

5. String;

6. Stainless steel whisk (DO NOT use silicon);

7. Protective gloves and safety equipment;

8. Lighter;

9. A helping friend (optional).

Much like other light painting photography, steel wool technique doesn’t require an expensive camera or lens. All you need is a camera that you can set to manual mode and a lens of your choice.

Find your ideal location and wait for a nice time. (My suggestions are dawn and twilight since you will get gorgeous sky in your pictures)

1.Set the ISO to 100 or 200 to make sure that the brightness of the steel wool doesn’t ruin your picture.

2.The shutter speed is the most important factor in steel wool photography. A long exposure between five and twenty seconds will get you enough time to capture the lights’ movement.

3.A whisk of steel wool will burn for around 10 seconds. You need to have at least 5 seconds of exposure time to capture the spinning motion.

4.Set the white balance to auto or tungsten.

Make sure of everything; camera settings, compose, etc.

Burn your steel wool and spin it. Steel wool gets burnt quite fast so don't wait too long before spinning it.
    Take a photo.
    Preview your photo and adjust camera settings until you are satisfied with your picture.

3. SRD.
    Lollipop May 1, 2021

SRD. , via OnePlus 7T , May 1, 2021 :
    Great to see you host the thread @hennes. Circle is something very interesting and I am sure it'll end up where it starts.
    Let's see some great work & creativity.

Let me start with a fresh shot of a Circle laying near me.
    Shot on Oneplus7T
    Edited by: Lightroom

IMG_20210501_120755__01_001.jpg

Thanks to YAIMCO for getting the result without compromising the quality. Thanks @hennes for making YAIMCO.

Last edited: May 1, 2021

4. Overzee
    The Showcase Reviewer May 1, 2021

Overzee , May 1, 2021 :
    Hey @hennes, great to see you're hosting this month's Shot on OnePlus! Can't wait to see some great entries!

5. Khushii21
    Honeycomb May 1, 2021

Bouncer71, buntycubal, otto2 and 5 others like this.

Bouncer71, iamrj, buntycubal and 9 others like this.
  7. Adesh.sanmukh
    Jelly Bean May 1, 2021

Bouncer71, buntycubal, otto2 and 9 others like this.
  8. Marco_Erre
    Gingerbread May 1, 2021

northbay5566 and Adesh.sanmukh like this.
  9. script
    Moderator Moderator May 1, 2021

script , May 1, 2021 :
    Read the opening post carefully, then just add your entries here in this thread.

10. Santhosh_Ravi
    Honeycomb May 1, 2021

Santhosh_Ravi , via OnePlus Nord , May 1, 2021 :
    Thanks for the Theme @hennes
    Here's my first entry for the week (1.5.2021 - 7.5.2021)
    1. Pink Super Moon (captured on April 26)
    1619852429057.jpg
    Device : Nord
    Edit : Lightroom
    Lens : Apexel telephoto lens
    2. Abstract Photography
    1619880108556.jpg
    Lens : Apexel Macro
    said:

3. Concentric Circles

1619880116487.jpg
    Lens : -

Last edited: May 3, 2021

11. sanki_man
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 1, 2021

Khushii21 and Adesh.sanmukh like this.
  12. ANOOP_VS
    Gingerbread May 1, 2021

ANOOP_VS , via OnePlus 8 , May 1, 2021 :
    Here Comes My 1st week Entries for CIRCLES
    1619854551886.jpg
    A/C Cover (click for wallpaper)
    1619854552012.jpg
    Scafolding pipes (click for wallpaper)
    edits In Lightroom
    1620153768163.jpg
    wheels
    No edits

Last edited: May 4, 2021

13. Khushii21
    Honeycomb May 1, 2021

Khushii21 , May 1, 2021 :
    CIRCLES
    They say Nobody is perfect and this applies to circles too. A perfect circle doesn't exist in real life. For a circle to be perfect, it shouldn't have any thickness So if you could see it, then it wouldn't be a perfect circle now, would it?

Also here is my entry for the contest
    Photograph name: Not so perfect circle
    Shot on OnePlus 7 ✨
    IMG_20210501_130741.jpg

14. atenaa
    KitKat May 1, 2021

atenaa , May 1, 2021 :
    Hey @hennes

Great to see a photo expert hosting this month SOOP.😉 Amazing introduction!! Loved the photos! Specially the one looking robot's eyes (the fifth photo).😍 What is that?

The theme is fantastic! 😯 Everywhere we look we can find circular things.😁

I'm sure we will find masterpieces on this thread.🤩
    Good luck everyone!👍😉

Bouncer71, Yohanv, Adinia and 15 others like this.
  15. DarshanMeniya
    Jelly Bean May 1, 2021

Bouncer71, buntycubal, BetiK and 4 others like this.
  16. Adesh.sanmukh
    Jelly Bean May 1, 2021

18. Khushii21
    Honeycomb May 1, 2021

Khushii21 , May 1, 2021 :
    WOWW AMAZING

Amazing concept 🤩

Niceee 🤩

Aesthetic [e]2728[/e]

Attached Files:

Bouncer71, iamrj, buntycubal and 5 others like this.
  19. Shailender Sharma
    Marshmallow May 1, 2021

20. Adesh.sanmukh
    Jelly Bean May 1, 2021

21. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert May 1, 2021

TibiTibi , May 1, 2021 :
    @hennes
    Cool intro for the month of circles.
    Creative examples 👍
    Congrats.

Dear shutterbugs release your creativity.

Looking forward.

derLenno, woSch, Bouncer71 and 16 others like this.