Shot on OnePlus: November - The Starry Night

1. Trista W.
    Global Community <3 Staff Member Nov 1, 2019

Trista W. , Nov 1, 2019 :
    NovSOOP.png

Hello all OnePlus shutterbugs,

@script was kind enough to invite me so it's my great honor to host the November edition of Shot on OnePlus.

A while back, one of my best friends sent me the picture below. (A little sidenote: I'm so glad that my friends are willing to try OnePlus because of my recommendation. As a result, he has become another brand evangelist, constantly introducing OnePlus to his circle. That's OnePlus magnet, I guess.)

1164566-afbb79c20ed59c9cad83f3ac2a57f2fb.jpeg

My friend: 'Wow, see how OnePlus camera performed!'

I questioned at least three times - 'No kidding, I know you have a Canon.' ' Seriously, with such pro settings, we can shot the milky way with OnePlus?' ' That's really impressive.'

Ever since I joined OnePlus, I've seen countless amazing starry night entries themed in almost every photography contest. An idea just popped into my mind - if I was to host a SoOP, I would definitely set 'the starry night' to be the theme. With current smartphones allowing us to use their cameras in manual mode, we can push them to their limits to record every moment in our life. I would say the best part about smartphone cameras is their wide aperture. A wider aperture basically means that it can let in a lot of light, which is quite important for astrophotography.

From my perspective, to make a astrophotography shot, there are four prerequisites:
    • 1. Environment: It's really a pity that light pollution deprives us of the chance to appreciate the stars. To find a dark site, you can use this map.
    • 2. Pro settings: Only with certain settings can we ensure the accuracy and clarity of such a demanding picture. I would suggest such settings:
    • ISO (2000 - 6400); Shutter Speed (20 - 30 seconds); Focus (Set to'Infinity').
    • 3. A top-class camera: I assume you all are able to tick off this. OnePlus devices can be your best partner.
    • 4. A tripod: It's really hard to stand your device up for 30 secs without a matching tripod.
    • For more details, I found an in-depth blog about his own experience with OnePlus 5.

Be it in literature or paintings, the starry night is always associated with emotions. What feelings will you relate to it? Now, impress me with your best starry night shots!

2. script
    Nougat Moderator Nov 1, 2019

Stickied Post
    script , Nov 1, 2019 :
    The usual info on the contest part
    Dear photo-fans,

I am very happy that Trista is hosting this November contest, as I know her personally as a great person and great photographer. You better not miss the links she has provided, if you want to take part in the contest this month. Also, we have a dedicated theme thread about capturing the stars. Read this for more information: Milky Way/ star pics

• The contest rules are the same as last month: everyone can post a maximum of three posts, with a maximum of three pictures per post, that makes nine pictures in total.
    • The photos have to be taken in the recent month. Exception: if they were taken in the last week of the previous month.
    • Official contest requirements:
      • Upload and share your photos in the comment section of the actual monthly contest thread. Including the following information in your post:
        • Device name
        • Editing software used
        • Whether a 3rd-party lens was used
      • Up to 3 photos per entry. 3 entries maximum per person. Select the best of the best.
      • Any content submitted should be your own work and shot on a OnePlus device. Any photos submitted shall be taken in the actual month. Photos should not be published previously anywhere. OnePlus reserves the right to request original photo files before fulfilling prizes if plagiarism is suspected. The photos that can not be verified are disqualified.
    Everyone who regularly follows the monthly competition threads is aware, that often users post pictures in the contest, that do not follow these rules. That leads to many more or less angry or "helpful" posts, sometimes lists of entries of several wrong postings. Hmm.

We moderators talked about that and want to try a different approach from now on, to keep the thread (and the whole forum) as interesting and as nice as possible. So please, everyone, don´t list invalid entries anymore in any way in the thread. You even don´t need to report those wrong entries, as all of us mods will take better care about that from November on and move the invalid posts to a different thread. I promise to have a close look every 5 pages, and clean the thread. Deal?

Ofc, if you find offensive posts, or pictures that were obviously not taken by a OnePlus phone, don´t hesitate to report that.

Okay, enough of that. Lets try to keep a warm and friendly atmosphere in the forum together.

From this month on we have a new monthly thread for non-contest pictures. Here you can add your "normal" November pictures.
    November 2019 photo thread without contest

Some more important tips, most of you know that already.

Let me end this intro with two really great threads. One true pearl in the whole forum is the travel blog thread by @otto2, you can find it here: Travel Blog "Shotononeplus" That thread reflects how great the OnePlus community and the whole global forum thingie is. Plus, we have a really active cool gang in there. @cdnfarmer came to Europe last month, visited the London launch, and then spent a few days in Germany, in squirrel town. Together we took a photo walk through Cologne, with @otto2 , @Bouncer71 , @woSch and me. We had a wonderful day, and have wonderful great pictures of that day, posted in the travel blog. And a few days ago, @hennes even created an index post of the whole thread content. Great work and a big thank you, Hennes. Have a look at the world.

Another pearl is this new thread by @B.I.T.S. , a super enthusiastic photographer. Its the first of many threads, and its simply super great. Have a look, its a must. [B.I.T.S. Photography pills] Part 1 - Reflections. You can learn so much, or just enjoy the beauty of the pictures and the words, as it is written so well.

Last: the prizes for November are up to 10 OnePlus winter hoodies. Wow, really really nice. They keep you warm. And they are exclusive, as far as I know you can only win them. So, don´t get a cold when taking star pics in November nights, and always have fun in the forum and the photography section.

cheers, Script

3. psygarden , via OnePlus 6T Midnight Black , Nov 1, 2019 :
    Now that's a challenging theme.!
    The following picture is not for the contest but just want to share it. I shot it back in the 2018 winters on a Nikon. Love this picture to the core. Hope everyone is motivated by it.
    Good luck to all. #NeverSettle
    1572593343891.jpg

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019

4. B.I.T.S.
    Jelly Bean Nov 1, 2019

B.I.T.S. , Nov 1, 2019 :
    This month is a huge challenge for me... But, hey, challenge accepted :cool: Thank you for this new thread @Trista W.

And... I'm just... :oops::oops::oops:

Thank you very much @script I didn't receive the tag and when I was reading this post my heart stopped for a second seeing my name there. I really appreciate your mention and words.
    ლ(ꈍωꈍლ)

(There's a hard battle between the two next topics you guys want to see next! :rolleyes:)

5. TibiTibi
    Nougat Nov 1, 2019

TibiTibi , Nov 1, 2019 :
    Thank you for the new thematic photo contest.

Entry #1​

Oneplus one
    / fv5
    / 30s, ISO 100
    PSX_20191106_213524_001.jpg
    / psx + yaimco

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019 at 8:46 PM

6. Rashel@oneplus5t
    Froyo Nov 1, 2019

7. meatandy
    Oreo Nov 1, 2019

8. Aakash360 , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Nov 1, 2019 :
    In today's world due to the extreme light pollution..starry night is rarely visible, clean the mess before entering this contest.. especially in Delhi these days.. it's like living in a smoke bubble... :/

9. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Nov 1, 2019

10. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Nov 1, 2019

12. RadekCech44
    Eclair Nov 1, 2019

RadekCech44 , via OnePlus 7 , Nov 1, 2019 :
    1572966862591.jpg

1572966862731.jpg

1572966862865.jpg

Astrography has been my passion lately, feel free to criticise me as I am newbie. I've used my OnePlus 7 with tripod and editing in Lightroom - that is all. High ISO and shutter speed makes the magic. Huge thanks to OnePlus for this amazing phone! (sadly compression occured and stars are barely visible)

Behind the scenes: On first two pictures you can see that stars are more visible, that's an example of absent light pollution. On the third picture, which was shot in the city, stars are less visible and in less count. I started taking astro pics as soon as I got my OP7, because all my previous phones were not able to take these. I immediatelly fell in love with space and astrography. I have way more astro pictures, but this thread is limited, if anyone is interested, you can contact me for sure. Taking astro pics allowed me to travel around my country and search for places without light pollution. Every picture has its own story and it was always an adventure and challenge to get my dream pictures. As I mentioned, my thanks goes to OnePlus for this gorgeous device, thanks guys!

Here is a bonus which does not count into my Top 3:
    1572729823291.jpg
    And also this one which I have just shot at 8.11., already posted below:
    1573240349304.jpg

Btw. feel free to contact me if you wanna see date of these pics, all of them were taken during last week of October.

PS for admins: I tried to reupload pictures a bit compressed so the quality does not drop, but no luck, on my OP Community app it is still compressed way too much and stars are barely visible.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 7:12 PM

13. script
    Nougat Moderator Nov 1, 2019

script , Nov 1, 2019 :
    Great. Mind sharing the settings? Would be interesting, how you took these fine pictures.

14. RadekCech44
    Eclair Nov 1, 2019

RadekCech44 , via OnePlus 7 , Nov 1, 2019 :

script

Great. Mind sharing the settings? Would be interesting, how you took these fine pictures.​

It is quite easy, it is necessary to have any kind of tripod, but I guess that everyone knows that. I always shoot with max shutter speed of 30 secs, but ISO highly depends, here in my city is a lot of light pollution and that means, that ISO 600 is actually bright. So if you are in any kind of place without light pollution, take pics with ISO 1200 and more. Editing in Lightroom is very important, brighten up the image, denoise, make it more "sharper and textured" and dehaze them to get rid of light fog, then add more vibrant colors or even add additional colors with selection edit. It will make pictures more colorful and far more inferesting (adding yellow or purple colors make those pictures feel more "astro" and "spacy"). And thats it!

15. antonyjen
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 1, 2019

16. antonyjen
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 1, 2019

18. aldwinguevarra
    Eclair Nov 1, 2019

aldwinguevarra , via OnePlus 6T , Nov 1, 2019 :
    this is awesome

19. T1570716658930
    Cupcake Nov 1, 2019

20. otto2
    Lollipop Nov 1, 2019

otto2 , Nov 1, 2019 :
    Better for who? Point and shoot kiddies, who don t even have any clue about the very basics of photography?

This is a contest to push our devices hardware up to the limit, which only works with some skills,experience and patience, too.

Where s the fun, with an automatic generated picture full of software generated artefacts?

How can anyone be proud of his work with a software rendered click?

On this contest it s up to the photographer to show his very best. That s what i call a contest.