Shots Fired!

1. ComFreakDomi
    Cupcake Apr 23, 2014

2. RaiderX29
    Honeycomb Apr 23, 2014

RaiderX29 , Apr 23, 2014 :
    This is one thing I'd caution you on. The N1 was still on Android 4.3 officially in OTA updates until well into February. Most people resorted to installing nightlies because some features still aren't right.

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/88661-official-update-is-out-and-is-a-bugfest/

With that being said, the N1 was not built from the ground-up for CM. The team had less than a month to get a working build pushed out for the N1 hardware. I'm sure things will be much smoother this go-around.

3. Apogee
    Gingerbread Apr 23, 2014

Apogee , Apr 23, 2014 :
    Doesn't affect us. T-MO USA uses Band 4. Band 20 LTE isn't even a huge deal for most of the world, it effects a small part of Europe that uses that LTE band but they can still use HSPA+ if their network offers it.

Here's a list of LTE bands by carrier:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

oaklandnative and Masson like this.
  4. p51d007
    KitKat Apr 23, 2014

p51d007 , Apr 23, 2014 :
    Same thing I said on another forum. You could sell your phone to someone, or if you really want to do some good, donate it to a woman's shelter, red cross, Veteran's organization where they can get some use out of it. Smashing, blowing up, chainsawing it...that's just plain silly, not to mention if someone bangs around on the battery and it goes thermonuclear like the one did in a recent video. Then, after you smash it to bits, you'll toss it in a waste can, and it will end up in a landfill.

Endgame.Architecture likes this.
  5. Phatt180
    Cupcake Apr 23, 2014

Phatt180 , Apr 23, 2014 :
    Have to agree with the bad way they are rolling this thing out... I understand that they are only small and have production constraints but if they are "too slow" to make these available to more people more quickly then I'm afraid they will lose interest and buy something else.

I would love to get one myself for sure but it seems they are making it way too hard to order one.

6. SwoonJoon
    Honeycomb Apr 23, 2014

7. john winsper
    Froyo Apr 23, 2014

john winsper , Apr 23, 2014 :
    This phone is not going to match sales of the other large manufacturers, I hope the user experience and support once things get going properly can keep people happy enough to stick with them

8. RaiderX29
    Honeycomb Apr 23, 2014

RaiderX29 , Apr 23, 2014 :
    Completely agree. I think OnePlus needs to do everything in its power to get its phone in the hands of consumers as soon as possible. The more phones you can get out there and let word of mouth take over will reap dividends. I could probably talk 10 of my family members / friends into this phone if I just had one I could let them hold.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like OnePlus has prioritized that. It reminds me of the Moto X and MotoMaker. Six months later, Moto realized it wasn't selling that well because of the lack of countries it was available in and the exclusivity of motomaker, opened it all up to everyone and had a series of drastic price cuts and fire sales to try to get it in people's hands.

Early adoption and word of mouth are essential for this phone's success.

9. Friday
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 23, 2014

Friday , Apr 23, 2014 :
    This company could be a huge success and sell a lot of phones. How do new start ups in Silicon Valley or anywhere else make it? They get investors who give them money in exchange for stock when they go public.

One Plus has made a great product, it may not be for everyone. Who else is selling a phone with these specs at this price? Given the feedback they have received if they came out with 5 inch phone their success will get even bigger.

It isn't easy starting a new company and distributing a product globally. There be a lot of you who disagree, but I think this is a company to watch closely.

10. polluted
    Gingerbread Apr 23, 2014

polluted , Apr 23, 2014 :
    You're imagining a fantasy world in which there won't be a response to the pricing (which is the only advantage that OnePlus have over their fellow off-brand phone manufacturers). If you think that Oppo, Xiaomi, etc. won't be reacting to this, you're wrong.

This is a wholly unremarkable phone other than the price.

11. noor440
    Froyo Apr 23, 2014

noor440 , Apr 23, 2014 :
    I agree with many of his point. And the 23rd was suppose to be the know it all date. There are still many unanswered questions.

12. wavesy
    Honeycomb Apr 23, 2014

13. beleaf
    Jelly Bean Apr 23, 2014

14. Abjatt
    Froyo Apr 23, 2014

15. Friday
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 23, 2014

Friday , Apr 23, 2014 :
    You have to look at the market share they can take away from the top companies. It will start small, but if they get additional investors things can take off for them. Who else besides the Nexus phones offers this much at this price point?

Things can change for the worse for the top companies, look back at cell phones and how Nokia and Motorola ruled that market (at least in the US). Where are those companies today?

Murphy likes this.
  16. polluted
    Gingerbread Apr 23, 2014

polluted , Apr 23, 2014 :
    Yes, as I said, OnePlus currently hold a pricing advantage. That will not last long.

Do you think the majority of people on this forum are 'loyal' to OnePlus? #neversettle, right?

Also, don't underestimate Motorola under Lenovo ownership.

17. hoysauce
    Gingerbread Apr 23, 2014

hoysauce , Apr 23, 2014 :
    I agree about his opinions regarding Smash the Past and how it's not a very smart marketing tactic to encourage such harmful behaviour both to the person and to the environment. They should re-think their strategy for handing out the first 100 invites. Even selecting 100 forum members at random without requiring a phone smash is a better alternative.

18. Friday
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 24, 2014

Friday , Apr 24, 2014 :
    Do you really think Samsung and Apple are going to offer a phone with these specs at $300 - $350?
    If any company that is not Samsung or Apple matches the specs at that price point for a quality phone then they are going to take away market share. If One Plus can get phones in the hands of people who want them they stand a good chance of being successful.

Time will tell what will happen with Motorola under Lenovo. Google paid billions for them and it was let down as far as flagship phone went. Lenovo may not have lots of extras $ to throw around, don't forget they are buying IBM's xSeries server business (as long as the deal get approved).

Murphy likes this.
  19. polluted
    Gingerbread Apr 24, 2014

polluted , Apr 24, 2014 :
    I didn't say anything about Samsung or Apple.

What does 'successful' mean to you?

20. _ASSASSIN_
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 24, 2014

_ASSASSIN_ , Apr 24, 2014 :
    Is he retarded? Last time I checked, a stable cyanogen release for my phone for 4.4.2 only took a month or 2, that's MUCH less than EVERY single manufacturer that isn't a nexus/GPE device.