Should I root my Android?

1. AndyGoodwin84
    Gingerbread Dec 5, 2014

ecy5maa likes this.
  2. carbine30
    Marshmallow Dec 5, 2014

carbine30 , Dec 5, 2014 :
    of course :p just try to use search button before creating new thread :)

3. ecy5maa
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 5, 2014

4. AndyGoodwin84
    Gingerbread Dec 5, 2014

AndyGoodwin84 , Dec 5, 2014 :
    99% of the time I do, but on this occasion I was feeling lazy :)

ecy5maa likes this.
  5. carbine30
    Marshmallow Dec 5, 2014

carbine30 , Dec 5, 2014 :
    Well I hope the threads there helped .

AndyGoodwin84 likes this.
  6. ecy5maa

ecy5maa , Dec 5, 2014 :
    Pros: More customisation options but CM already allows you to do a lot. I have never rooted any of my phone even though I want to root my Note 10.1 2014, but there are no custom mods for it :(

Cons: Possibility of bricking your device, voiding warranty..but I am not sure if OP minds.

7. AndyGoodwin84
    Gingerbread Dec 5, 2014

8. ecy5maa

ecy5maa , Dec 5, 2014 :

Great!

9. AndyGoodwin84
    Gingerbread Dec 5, 2014

AndyGoodwin84 , Dec 5, 2014 :
    I have had a look at the threads linked, looks like it is quite complicated unless you know what you are doing. As I have no idea it is probably best I don't try

Linanc7 likes this.
  10. The Doc
    Gingerbread Dec 5, 2014

11. The Earl of Twatshire
    KitKat Dec 5, 2014

The Earl of Twatshire , Dec 5, 2014 :
    Lazy you say,

I was lazy once. It was in the summer of 2013.

There I was lying down on a sun lounger by my boating lake. My imaginary butler was entertaining me by performing a spirited rendition of "Breathe" by the Prodigy on his nasal ocarina.

I wanted another glass of white lightning cider, but I just couldn't be bothered to move.

"Fetch me more White Lightning" I commanded my imaginary butler to fetch me more of the delicious nectar.

Upon his discontinuation of playing his nasal ocarina, he slipped on the the banks of my boating lake.

The resulting injury will always be a testament to my laziness and my imaginary butler's refusal to wear clothing from the waist down.

He slipped and landed bottom first onto his nearby flute. The end of which became lodged in a very intimate orifice.

To this day he has never had it removed and walks everywhere to a merry tune.

I shall never be lazy again.

Regards,

12. hln1969

hln1969 , Dec 5, 2014 :
    Check youtube out. Theres a few guides on there.

The Pros and Cons of Rooting!:

13. mydroid
    KitKat Dec 5, 2014

mydroid , Dec 5, 2014 :
    finally rooted my opo this week cause i wanted to hack something hahaha

14. Seemehow
    Eclair Dec 5, 2014

Seemehow , Dec 5, 2014 :
    Root allows you to customise your phone even further. Several fantastic apps require root access. Tired of adds? Intall adaway which requires root. Want the full gesture control? Same thing. Titanium backup? Change screen density? And many many more...It can all be done when the phone is rooted. I always root my phones to get the best out of them and make it work like they should from day one.

The cons would be that you can brick your phone although it never happened to me and I'm am not an expert at all. In OPO instance it will also WIPE the phone so do a backup.

Rooting OPO was the worst of all phones. The ADB USB driver refused to work on windows and there's no clear guidance where to get one... I've spent 4 hrs trying to make it work. Finally It did although I have no idea why and not everything fully worked. At the end I had to use both tool programme to unlock the boot loader and separate command input to install root file... Sight. Damn I did so many things I have no idea which one worked... So yeah I understand now why there's no full proof guidance on it... I could not make one either.

Note: Do not install custom recovery like trwp or cwm. They are usefull but stick to stock recovery to keep the root after update. I really do not want to go through this process again.

15. 0verlord
    Gingerbread Dec 5, 2014

0verlord , Dec 5, 2014 :
    C'mon how come Root can have any cons. It's all about the user. If you are aware of what you're doing, go ahead. Root your phone and enjoy the supreme[like a Boss] access to everything of your phone. Just one thing, that I already said. You must be prepared. I suppose Linux users can't easily disagree with me. Only Windows users will do so. Go on, just root it. Install a firewall like Afwall+ and privacy app like Xprivacy[respect for it], and you'll be good most of the time. And yeah, just don't install any apk. Do a bit of searching about its whereabouts and its nature and you'll be COOL. Enjoy man.

16. Linanc7
    Lollipop Dec 5, 2014

Linanc7 , Dec 5, 2014 :
    There are a couple of good apps that require root, Titanium Backup and Tasker. From all I have read here you need to know what you're doing because there are risks in the process that can have consequences. I would need more reasons to research and fully understand the process.

17. wtfhsf
    KitKat Dec 5, 2014

wtfhsf , Dec 5, 2014 :
    threads merged

18. CarDusan
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 6, 2014

19. AndyGoodwin84
    Gingerbread Dec 6, 2014

AndyGoodwin84 , Dec 6, 2014 :
    Thank you all for the replies, as a lot of people have said, you should really only Root if you know what you are doing, as I am like a pre pubescent teen fumbling with a girls bra strap when it comes to this kind of thing I think it is beat to leave it to someone who knows what they are doing before I break my phone and am totally screwed.
    Eventually I would like it done for the benefits of some battery saving apps and other bonuses.