Should I switch from a Galaxy S8?

1. ahmadfuad3
    Cupcake Mar 16, 2018

ahmadfuad3 , Mar 16, 2018 :
    I am actually subscribed to his channel and saw the second video, although rooting and losing the warranty and Samsung Knox and Samsung account functionality isn't worth it, especially that I won't be getting anything important.
    I actually bricked an S2 a few years ago but that didn't stop me from rooting my Note 3 and installing LineAge OS. Although with this one I'm kind of skeptical with rooting and using Odin. I think I'd better be off with what I have since people don't seem to bring the point of installing a stock like ROM for the S8 which indicates that there isn't any trusted official ROM like an official LineAge build.
    What phones do you have? And what's your daily driver?
    Also, do you watch other YouTubers like MKBHD or UnboxTherapy? I watch a few others but those are the top ones.

2. Artemus
    Junior Moderator, Community Hero 2020 Junior Moderator Mar 16, 2018

Artemus , Mar 16, 2018 :
    Samsung: the Apple of the Android world.

As for tech YouTubers, I recommend Mrwhostheboss, Linus Tech Tips (if you're into computer hardware and whatnot), MrMobile, Unbox Therapy, FLOSSY CARTER, ZONEofTECH, XEETECHCARE, UrAverageConsumer, AndroidAuthority, MKBHD (Marques Brownlee) and TK Bay (AKA XDAtv dude).

3. O1520926570661
    Donut Mar 16, 2018

O1520926570661 , Mar 16, 2018 :
    I was with my beloved G4 from the lunch and it were fantastic but I needed a change . I had 2 choices
    s8 , 5T, iPhone 7.
    obviously cuz Im an apple hater cuz the phone is just not worth to money I didn't choose him.
    the s8 is a great phone after all but the battery sucks *** compere to the 5T , also the fast dash charging is hell faster in the 5T . and the camera... I realy didn't see the difference.
    I'm not a fan of the edge thing and the price of the 5T is lower. I like to say for others that buy flagship phones like the iPhone x that they pay for amazing features I do agree with that, but will I actually use those features , A BIG NO.
    I never broke a phone in my life so water resistance is no big deal for me cuz all I need is battery and preformane and this are the kind of things that the 5T provides.
    will the upgrade from the s8 to the 5t will be worth? not at all cuz they are really the same . If it's a situation like giving your phone to your family like your brother or something it's a big yes from me . your preference on what features u rly need in a phone.

4. ChopperHead
    Gingerbread Mar 16, 2018

ChopperHead , Mar 16, 2018 :
    I recommend you to stay with S8 , one plus also got battery issues and there are lots of features which is not available in one plus
    S8 camera is far way better than one plus ,

5. iamdavidsalt
    Donut Mar 16, 2018

Best Answer
    iamdavidsalt , Mar 16, 2018 :
    Coming from a Galaxy S8 to the One Plus 5t myself, I'll give my thoughts.

Firstly it completely depends on your experience with the S8 and your priority features in a phone, let me elaborate. The S8 is a power house in terms of spec, the camera and the screen are exceptional. But...

Personally, I switched the resolution of the screen on my S8 down to 1080 to save battery. the battery for me was average. it would generally make the end of the day on average use, but on an intensive day, no chance.

The one plus has a very good 1080 screen and to me, at that resolution its comparable.

The camera is superior on the S8, but I am very happy with the quality of the One Plus camera and for me, it's not a big trade off.

Now, my main issue with the S8 was speed. For an expensive flagship phone I could not get over the fact that it was so laggy. Today, my main preference in a phone is speed.

The One Plus is so much faster than my S8, the battery is far better and I am so pleased that I made the switch.

mitarai and hurrrrricaaaaane like this.
  6. ahmadfuad3
    Cupcake Mar 16, 2018

ahmadfuad3 , Mar 16, 2018 :
    Well yeah if I'm doing the switch I'll be giving it to a family member. But I'm still not a big fan of having a horrible camera because I'll need to use it in a few months. Otherwise I value performance just like you.

Thanks for leaving your thoughts. I guess the camera is going to hold me back. Yes, I don't use it as much right now but surely I will in a few months. And I'll probably need that SD card slot since I'm going to take lots of photos, which is not available on the 5t. I guess I won't be making that switch which is disappointing.

7. Artemus
    Junior Moderator, Community Hero 2020 Junior Moderator Mar 16, 2018

Artemus , Mar 16, 2018 :
    One word: GCam.

8. O1520926570661
    Donut Mar 16, 2018

O1520926570661 , Mar 16, 2018 :
    I think that 128 GB is more than enough also if u get 1000 images.
    u can always import them to a cloud or to your PC.

9. G_Michał_L_VJCp
    Gingerbread Mar 16, 2018

G_Michał_L_VJCp , Mar 16, 2018 :
    Samsung S8 camera > Oneplus 5T camera. But difference is NOT good vs bad, S8 has A LITTLE better camera, nothing more. Everything else it's imo OP5T show. One thing about S8 I don't really understand is the price. It's like 30-40% too expensive for its features.

10. F_Arjun_Sunil_sVHV
    Cupcake Mar 17, 2018

F_Arjun_Sunil_sVHV , Mar 17, 2018 :
    did you used s9 .. ?? bro first use that and say.. the phone will be f**king slw eventually .. its samsung

11. TheMystic
    Lollipop Mar 17, 2018

TheMystic , Mar 17, 2018 :
    MKBHD is my most favourite YouTube tech reviewer. but him and Unbox Therapy don't make videos on rooting and custom ROMs. Max Lee is good in these things and he hosts the source files on his own site too.

you don't have to root your device. but if you want stock experience, you will have to install a custom ROM. but you'll lose some interesting features of Samsung Experience launcher (TouchWiz) and Knox will be tripped when you unlock bootloader.

I have a 3T that I use for browsing, social, media, etc.
    iPhone for work, banking, etc.
    I also have a Nokia Lumia 730 that I bought just to experience Windows Mobile, but it is remains largely unused.

12. hurrrrricaaaaane
    Cupcake Mar 19, 2018

hurrrrricaaaaane , Mar 19, 2018 :
    Hello everybody,

I'm coming from the Apple world and I want to make the step over the big river to the Android world.
    I'm very interested on the OnePlus 5T and thinking about waiting for the OnePlus 6.

So my question is:
    Can you recommend any other Android smartphone right now at 2018 which is directly comparable to the OP5+?

My budget is about 500-600 € and I have to get the new phone at maximum middle of june 2018 because of a long travel through south east asia.

Can you help me with a bit of meainings about the OnePlus 5T/6 and about the competitors?

Cheers and thanks,
    Joe

PS: Maybe it's important: Coming from an iPhone SE 128 GB.

13. Matt 80
    Lollipop Mar 19, 2018

Matt 80 , Mar 19, 2018 :
    Huawei mate 10 pro
    Honor view 10
    LG v30
    Pixel 2

14. danicabors
    Cupcake Mar 19, 2018

15. G_RRR_Sykes_ajkk
    Cupcake Mar 19, 2018

16. G_rohan_prashar_POsF
    Cupcake Mar 19, 2018

17. Madan Raj D
    Gingerbread Mar 19, 2018

Madan Raj D , Mar 19, 2018 :
    Nope! To advice kids like u!..

18. G_rohan_prashar_POsF
    Cupcake Mar 19, 2018

G_rohan_prashar_POsF , Mar 19, 2018 :
    If it makes ya feel wonderful about yourself dude. wasn't much of an advice there

19. mitarai
    Froyo Mar 19, 2018

mitarai , Mar 19, 2018 :
    I have switched from S8 and I have never looked back. I think the 5T's camera is definitely amazing and I'm pleased with the shots. Maybe the S8 was a hair better but the difference is so minor that I have never regreted it.

Everything besides the camera is better on the 5T - it's way faster, google assistant works so well here and can do almost everything that pixel can, and Stock Android UI is just so much better than any UI overlay. I'm not going to switch anytime soon. I think this phone has really nailed it and the only one that I'd go for would be Pixel 2 XL. But I'm not eager to do that because Pixel 2 XL is way too expensive.

OP 5T is just a phone that makes you happy. It's just that good.

Madan Raj D and Artemus like this.
  20. Madan Raj D
    Gingerbread Mar 20, 2018

Madan Raj D , Mar 20, 2018 :
    Totally agreed!.. OP5T makes you feel happy!.. Love the experience.. But not agreeing with the Camera thou!.. I have hundreds of oil effect pics tonprove my point!.. And it ends up producing more noise in indoor conditions!.. But otherwise... Butter smooth!.. Very fast!.. And sure make me feel happy!.. The best out there minus the camera!.. [e]1f44d[/e][e]1f44d[/e]