Should I upgrade?

1. Dluong85 Froyo May 24, 2018

Dluong85, May 24, 2018 :
    Yes, another one of these posts. Hear me out. I used a OP One from 2014 to 2016. Great phone for $300, but I ran into that dreaded microphone issue. No amount of software tweaking fixed it, so I went to the ZTE Axon 7. It was within the same midrange budget as the OPO at $400 ($360 after discount). Primarily went with the A7 because of the screen and sound (stereo speakers are awesome for youtube and netflix); at the time, it too offered the best processor, the SD820. The camera was notably worse than the OPO, but I lived with it. After a year and a half of use though, the battery is now terrible. Two hours screen on time, and I have to recharge at least twice a day. I'd hoped to get at least two and a half, maybe three years of use out of this phone, but I'm considering going back to the OP6.

Like the OPO and the A7, the biggest factor for me is budget.

Here's a few options:
    1) Get the OP6. On one hand, the specs are incredibly tempting. I'm ok with giving up stereo speakers in exchange for what seems to be a pretty great camera. On the other hand, regardless of how good the value is, I don't NEED to spend >$500 (realistically I'd get the 8gb/128gb option)
    2) Replace the battery on the A7. $30 for the battery, maybe another $50 to take it somewhere for replacement (or attempt the replacement myself). If that restores battery life to something more respectable, I figure I can get another few years of use out of it.

Thoughts?

2. Photoman9988 Jelly Bean May 24, 2018

Photoman9988, May 24, 2018 :
    The ONLY things you'd be losing out on are the Stereo Speakers and the QHD screen. The OP6 would be an upgrade in literally every other way. Not to mention ZTE is probably going to be out of business pretty soon.

Nezumi_ likes this.
  3. vwite Honeycomb May 24, 2018

vwite, May 24, 2018 :
    sure, why not you can sell it later, they A7 will depreciate more which is the true cost

4. Dluong85 Froyo May 25, 2018

Dluong85, May 25, 2018 :
    For sure, it's going to be an upgrade in every way, I definitely agree with you. With each gen, we get better specs, better camera, better everything. So of course, the easy answer is always to say, yes, throw down that $$$$. I guess the more nuanced question I'm asking if I should upgrade right now, or if I might eke out a bit more value out of the A7, and hold for whatever comes next. Which, btw, lol that we're already hearing rumors of the OP6T. Thanks for your thoughts. =P

5. bart877ie Honeycomb May 25, 2018

bart877ie, May 25, 2018 :
    Dluong85 - ya sound like undecided women in the bag store. If you have cash available, just buy it, if not get ZTE fixed and keep using it for another few months/years. Phones are just tools in todays life. Nothing more, nothing less, you decide which one to use.

6. Photoman9988 Jelly Bean May 25, 2018

Photoman9988, May 25, 2018 :
    Right, so I guess the question is, do you like your Axon 7? Are you having any issues with it other than the battery? If you're content with the phone, then I say keep it until the OP6t comes out. However if you're starting to have issues that are becoming unbearable, then the OP6 might be a good option.

Terryruiz likes this.
  7. canukistan Donut May 25, 2018

canukistan, May 25, 2018 :
    Well not to put too fine of point on the answer, YES.

I bit the bullet and bought the 8X256 after having owned opo1 and opp x. I did revert back to the opo1 from the x....hated the smaller screen and no NFC.

powered off, side by side the 1 and 6 can easily be confused, except for the notch.
    powered on, and The 6 is clearly a vast improvement, even the screen...

I've done the deed and probably won't get another new device for a few more years. The opo1 and the x are going to be rooted and LinegaeOS installed. They are still Superior, imho, to everything else out there.

hope this helps.