Should OnePlus Adopt a Public Beta Model For OxygenOS?

?

Should OnePlus Adopt a Public Beta Model For Oxygen OS?

1. Yes, that would be totally dope! I'll Test!

90.0%
  2. No, Id rather wait ( as long as it takes ) and get a stable build

6.7%
  3. Meeh! I dont care! :|

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I have a different view to this, See my comment!

6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. nirmik379kale
    Gingerbread Sep 19, 2015

nirmik379kale , Sep 19, 2015 :
    Hi friends,

An idea just popped in my head.
    We all here ( at least 90% i think ) are root-freaks and rom-freaks. We are used to having a few bugs in our systems.
    But what we are also used to, is quick updates and latest features!

So I wana ask this question -

For eg, the Oxygen OS 2.1 update was scheduled for mid September, which , as always, being OnePlus, is off course delayed, meaning , its in testing and bug fixing stage! So maybe, oneplus coould release a public beta version of it which should be flashed via recovery, and have a bug reporting mechanism builtin into the beta images.

With a further addition ( which i think will be almost impossible as Oxygen OS is closed source...correct me if i am wrong ) , users and rom devs who know or device fixes for the bugs can may be post patches in some form ( code / info at least ) which can speed up the bug fixing!

What do you guys think?
    Answer in the poll above and comment with your views!!

Maybe OnePlus will consider this as an option if this thread gets good response!

Thankyou!

2. benluca
    KitKat Sep 19, 2015

benluca , Sep 19, 2015 :
    They will never consider or allow it, but yes, it's a good idea.

nirmik379kale likes this.
  3. nirmik379kale
    Gingerbread Sep 19, 2015

Lets hope they change and improve! ;):p

benluca likes this.
  4. xxBrun0xx
    Honeycomb Sep 19, 2015

xxBrun0xx , Sep 19, 2015 :
    You may be onto something. Oneplus doesn't need to pay a bunch of software engineers to debug their software. They have one of the most knowledgeable communities of users and devs at their disposal who would love to help make their software top notch. Why not make use of them?

mydan and nirmik379kale like this.
  5. nirmik379kale
    Gingerbread Sep 19, 2015

Glad to see people are liking this idea ! :)

6. dolbymark
    Gingerbread Sep 19, 2015

dolbymark , Sep 19, 2015 :
    I would love to beta test IF, and only IF, they have timely updates (nightlies maybe?). There would not doubt be regular critical bugs. OP doesn't have the best track record for releasing quick updates and I would not be willing to live with the critical bugs for months on end.

7. nirmik379kale
    Gingerbread Sep 19, 2015

Good point... I think weeklies would be a safer option considering op track record ;):p

8. shuvodeep
    Froyo Sep 19, 2015

shuvodeep , Sep 19, 2015 :
    100%, onelus have a vibrant online community already in place, with a little organisation a beta testing prog could and should be launchable

win10 ,ios9, cm12 are just a few examples of successful bug free and timely ( well sort of..) os implementations that have leveraged their user base feedback efficiently via beta testing...

besides an initiative like this would only seem like the logical evolution of oxygen OS given the large power-user type fanbases that oneplus devices have seemingly built up over the past year or so..

mydan and nirmik379kale like this.
  9. nirmik379kale
    Gingerbread Sep 19, 2015

Excellent point made with the sightings of cm, w10 and ios... Even android M itself has been through public beta!

This will really take oos way ahead... Oneplus should really consider this man... :(

10. rphlfjrd
    Lollipop Sep 19, 2015

11. Deactivated User
    Sep 20, 2015

benluca likes this.
  12. hensur
    Eclair Sep 20, 2015

hensur , Sep 20, 2015 :
    Good idea! Hopefully they will consider it. There are still many bugs in Oxygen OS they could fix faster this way

13. mydan
    Gingerbread Sep 20, 2015

14. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Sep 20, 2015

dsmonteiro , Sep 20, 2015 :
    I'm pretty sure that's not possible, according to Google's licensing rules.

rphlfjrd likes this.
  15. dsmonteiro

No, it hasn't. It has gone through a public developer preview, which is an entirely different thing that serves completely different purposes.

rphlfjrd likes this.
  16. Deactivated User
    Sep 20, 2015

17. abhinav49
    Honeycomb Sep 20, 2015

abhinav49 , Sep 20, 2015 :
    Microsoft has already ruined its impression and reputation doing the same

18. dsmonteiro

Well since I don't work for Google I can't really answer you that but I believe the reason Google allows for beta apps and not beta roms is that beta apps speed up app development and don't hurt Android's image when things go wrong, while beta roms can give a perceived image of instability to the OS (or even hurt devices).

Developer previews are released for app developers to test their apps with new APIs to once again speed up app development, not for standard users to test features.

rphlfjrd likes this.
  19. Deactivated User
    Sep 20, 2015

20. nirmik379kale
    Gingerbread Sep 20, 2015

nirmik379kale , Sep 20, 2015 :
    I didn't get you... As in, in what way did it ruin its reputation? As far as ive read, there were security concerns raised, but most of the beta testers loved being a part of it!