Signal drops after Intune Company Portal installation

1. schmelz0r
    Donut Nov 25, 2019

schmelz0r , Nov 25, 2019 :
    Hi

I am having massive issues, ever since my employer required me to install Intune Company Portal.
    Company Portal created a work profile in which - and only there - I can now access company ressources.

Sometimes, the signal drops 20 times within 60 minutes.
    When a drop happens, it drops ALL connections, meaning both SIMs, WiFi AND Bluetooth.
    I´m attaching a screenshot for OOS Version etc.

I have tested the exact same setup, applications, Intune etc. with another device, a Huawei P30 Pro on MIUI 9. No signal drops there!

I need help with this.
    The way it is now, I can´t keep using the device.

Attached Files:

3. Gav_W86
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Nov 26, 2019

Gav_W86 , Nov 26, 2019 :
    you are running a beta test version of the OS. Reporting beta OS issues needs to be as requested via https://forums.oneplus.com/feedback/

beta test OS also might not play nice with company management tools. I could be that they block beta OS, or it could just be intune isn't updated in tune with the OS.

if you are having to run a managed device because of your company it will generally be forced to be stock stable OS, no rooting, no unlocking (and they will be able to control your device and see everything on it).

4. aaronjb78
    Cupcake Feb 28, 2020

aaronjb78 , Feb 28, 2020 :
    I wonder if the OP ever got this fixed, or if he just gave up and moved on?

I'm having exactly the same issue and it's infuriating - stock OP7TPro firmware (currently 10.0.7.HD01BA) and as soon as I install InTune, signal drops at random intervals across all RF interfaces (both SIMs, WiFi, Bluetooth).

I'd love to start troubleshooting it and at least be able to supply useful data, but I'm not sure if there are any system logs that could be gathered somehow..

[edit] Duh, I see the community app can gather logs. Of course, now that's running, the issue won't reproduce..

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020

5. schmelz0r
    Donut Feb 29, 2020

schmelz0r , Feb 29, 2020 :
    Small update

The device is on its way to One Plus service center in the Netherlands. For the 2nd time. Firs time, I got it back with a default pre-printed note that they checked the device for hardware flaws and couldn't find anything.

I have noticed during my own testing that the issue increases in frequency if u fiddle around with the GPS settings. Sometimes I would get drops every time I switched GPS on or off and definitely ervery time I changed any GPS settings in the work profile that intune created.

I love my OP7Pro, but this way it's utterly unusable.

What's really making me mad is that I now have to use a Huawei P30Pro with exactly the same setup and it works perfectly fine.

aaronjb78 likes this.
  6. aaronjb78
    Cupcake Mar 1, 2020

aaronjb78 , Mar 1, 2020 :
    Well, at least I know it's not just me, schmelz0r.. we're in this together. Kinda. Sadly I don't have a P30Pro lying around to swap to :(

I did use the Community app to report the problem as well - but as soon as logging is running, the problem goes away, only to return when logging finishes..

7. aaronjb78
    Cupcake Mar 5, 2020

aaronjb78 , Mar 5, 2020 :
    So the problem seems to have gone away for me. The only change I made was to uninstall Truecaller and switch back to the stock dialler & messaging app; any chance you also use a non-default dialler?

[edit]

False alarm - problem still apparent, just less frequent. OP tell me the issue is being looked at (in the bug report) so, fingers crossed.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020

8. schmelz0r
    Donut Mar 25, 2020

schmelz0r , Mar 25, 2020 :
    Hi.

So now the device is on it´s way to said repair / service center in NL for the THIRD time.
    I gotta say, I am doubting they´ll do a proper examination this time around.
    I am seriously disappointed and angry at OP for the treatment I have received on this issue.

No, I am not using any third party dialer.

I have tried several times to explain to OP service what the issue is and what they need to do to reproduce it in testing. No response. Not even a note that says "we have looked at that, but coudln´t find anything".

How did u create a bug report on that specific behavior ?!

9. schmelz0r
    Donut Mar 27, 2020

schmelz0r , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 27, 2020 :
    So...
    the device just got back from the third run across Europe. Third attempt of OP Service Partner at fixing the issue.
    this time, it actually came back with a repair report that says it had broken antenna and EF cables and all were replaced.
    Can't tell if that's true, but no matter - the issue still persists.

I used the community app to record logs of the behavior now and here is the post it created:
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...e-google-maps-update-device-location.1205451/

Dear OnePlus
    Please review the logs and fix the issue. It is clearly software, not hardware.

10. Swejuggalo
    KitKat Mar 27, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 27, 2020 :
    I used Intune too... It was required when accessing company mail via Outlook. I simply added the company mail within the app and collected all mail at the same place. Outlook misbehaved every now and then but that is about it (it seemed to stop connecting and I could not really find any other solution than to reboot). Now a days I simply access the mail via a webrowser. Outlook never fails on me now.

Adding the company Onedrive as an extra account within Onedrive worked without a flaw though. I added the company account in a Microsoft apps like Word and such too.

That is the closest experiance I have myself. Other than Outlook missbehaving the way I used it never caused any other issues.
    Im always on beta channel though.

11. Swejuggalo
    KitKat Mar 27, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 27, 2020 :
    Intune is back... Let's see if I get any problems again. Outlook, Office and Onedrive up and running with company account

12. schmelz0r
    Donut Mar 28, 2020

schmelz0r , Mar 28, 2020 :
    So, frustrated as I am, I did some more testing on my own.

I can now way with certainty that this is a software issue related to the work profile created by Microsoft Intune Company Portal. The second I install it and hence activate the work profile device admin, updating GPS location by opening say GoogleMaps, Waze, or any other app that uses GPS, causes the device to reset all connections. WiFi, Bluetooth, both SIMs, everything.

Please, OnePlus, take a look at the log I recorded and put a developer on the software!

13. Swejuggalo
    KitKat Mar 28, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 28, 2020 :
    I can't replicate... Nothing is enabled as device admin though. In your case you are forced to have Company Portal as device admin?

14. schmelz0r
    Donut Mar 29, 2020

schmelz0r , Mar 29, 2020 :
    Yes indeed. Company Portal needs device admin. Employer insists on this setting.

15. schmelz0r
    Donut Apr 22, 2020

schmelz0r , Apr 22, 2020 :
    An update on the situation...
    Gotta share this, because I am so bloody frustrated.

I´m not getting any answers here, nor from the 2 developers who contacted me via chat, nor to my other thread (https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...e-google-maps-update-device-location.1205451/), or even E-Mails exchanged with OP Support.

I´ve been going back and forth with support for weeks now and I am always getting the same frustrating answers. In fact, I received copy-pasted default replies twice now. W T F ?!

Now I am supposed to send the device to the repair / service center in the Netherlands for the 4th! time for them to make an assessment of the device and then - in their infinite grace - tell me what they would be willing to refund for a defective product after 4 months of painful tries to get someone to even look at the issue.
    I spent a lot of time doing tests on my own to narrow it down. No response.
    Sent it for repairs. No response, other than receiving back a phone that´s wiped, set to NL language and has a fresh, if equally defective install of OOS.

Does anyone here have any ideas as to what else to do !?
    Today I´m going to - again - try to reach someone "in charge" on the support phone lines..
    So far, no joy there either.

Greetings from a very disappointed, previous OP admirer and lover of the devices.
    Thorroughly disenchanted now ;(

16. Swejuggalo
    KitKat Apr 22, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 22, 2020 :
    Wish I could have replicated it somehow.

17. schmelz0r
    Donut Apr 23, 2020

schmelz0r , Apr 23, 2020 :
    Morning

I feel obliged to post another update. One with mixed feelings...
    Why mixed feelings?
    1) I am thorroughly disappointed by the quality of support I received via official channels
    2) I am glad that this forum exists, where some of you have tried to help AND where I eventually found a solution to my problem. Yes, I DID!

See here:
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/network-issues-after-android-10-update.1123161/page-5
    I had to sift through pages and pages or forum posts, until eventually finding this one that - somewhere in there - suggested to simply flip the SIM cards in the dual sim tray. Something so simple and so far fetched, I would never have guessed it. Turns out that did it! I simple put SIM1 into SIM2 slot and vice versa -> no more connection drops.

I´m still like WTF, but I am sure glad that my beloved phone is working properly again!
    Thank you, forum community!

Swejuggalo likes this.