Silver Bullet earplug unboxing/1st impressions

1. bravevolfanoftwins
    Gingerbread Nov 26, 2014

bravevolfanoftwins , Nov 26, 2014 :
    Finally got my silver bullets. Have to give an A++ for packaging.

Now to my first impressions review. I'm in no way an audiophile, but I do want my music to sound good and not in a can sound that most ear buds sound like. These are the best ear buds by far I have ever had. They sound very crisp and reproduce sound very evenly. Not over bassy or treble extreme. You can get the sound you want from playing with the EQ. I have been listening for 20-30 minutes with a shuffle of music ranging from acoustical to 80s hair bands to R&B. Everything sounds good. Overall glad I did not spend more on the JBLs.

The only draw backs are the cord "thump" if the cord hits something. If you plan to jog, probably not the buds for you. I'm 6'3'', so the cord is a little short. Wish it was maybe 2 inches longer, and the sound isolation is almost 100% , do you will not be able to hear what is going on around you. Might be a positive for some people, but I have 3 year olds and I need to be able to hear them. I could also see that if jogging or walking on a street this could be dangerous.
    Overall I'm pretty happy with my purchase. IMG_20141126_145716.jpg IMG_20141126_145644.jpg

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

BarGer, Boricua, lordbeerfest and 4 others like this.
  2. gusuraman
    Community Veteran Nov 26, 2014

Antoine Vdb likes this.
  3. blur13
    Jelly Bean Nov 26, 2014

bravevolfanoftwins likes this.
  4. sh3llshock
    KitKat Nov 26, 2014

5. Kesmar
    Froyo Nov 26, 2014

Kesmar , Nov 26, 2014 :
    Thanks for the nice simple review. Nice to hear that a normal, everyday kind of person will enjoy these and not posting EVERY SINGLE THING that's wrong with them. :p

6. peteryu
    KitKat Nov 26, 2014

7. peteryu
    KitKat Nov 26, 2014

peteryu , Nov 26, 2014 :
    Does it work as earplugs without music when I want to block out people's voices? :cool:

Also, my other concern is that the cord seem really fragile like the Apple earphones...would it break easily?

8. mwebsterpgh
    KitKat Nov 26, 2014

mwebsterpgh , Nov 26, 2014 :
    Meh. I thought they were very average. They should throw a pair of these in for free with purchase of the phone.

9. Antoine Vdb
    KitKat Nov 26, 2014

10. bravevolfanoftwins
    Gingerbread Nov 26, 2014

Finally someone got my pun without sarcastic response. Yes, when music is not playing they do block probably 45% of sound. If I put the bigger seal on it (comes with 3sizes) it would be more, but this is for my ears. Everyone's ears are shaped different, so the seal will vary on every person.
    They are more flexible than Apple wires so they will be more durable. They feel better than Apples. For $15, they are amazing, but if you compare them to something in the $50 range they would fall slightly behind. Their bang for your buck value is what makes them, so good.
    Thanks again for understanding my title.

kazongo likes this.
  11. bravevolfanoftwins
    Gingerbread Nov 26, 2014

I would agree with you to a point. For $15, they are fantastic. If I had the money I would buy Klipsche. I just can't afford the price. I would much rather spend the little spare money on fun outings with my family.

12. bravevolfanoftwins
    Gingerbread Nov 26, 2014

From a sound & quality comparison these blow apple away!

Reid2 likes this.
  13. leekokkheng
    Jelly Bean Nov 26, 2014

leekokkheng , Nov 26, 2014 :
    surprise to see these comments after getting less positive review fr others. Good to know as this is subjective.

14. nunopinho1982
    Lollipop Nov 26, 2014

15. AzNightmare
    Froyo Nov 26, 2014

AzNightmare , Nov 26, 2014 :
    No such thing as "free".
    OPO would have cost an extra $15 for generic in-ear headphones that I would have never used... just like all my previous phones that came with generic headphones.

I'm not an audiophile, but the first time I spent $50 on my in-ear headphones, I was cringing and suspecting I might have just threw $50 down the drain. But the difference is night and day vs $20 budget headphones, or the ones that come with your electronic devices (phones, mp3 player, etc).

A silly trick I like to do when I'm wearing my headphones is to push the speakers into my ear (lightly) and keep them pressed into my ears with my fingers to see if I can get better sound quality by doing so. The bass quality is usually the most obvious to detect.

Most cheapo headphones will give you better sound, but as soon as you let go of the speakers, the sound quality goes back to "normal".

Good headphones don't have this "ability", because they seal better, giving you their optimal sound without the use of your fingers pushing the speakers in.

Note: I have found this "trick" also works on various full headphones, like the big ones that cover your ear.

16. bravevolfanoftwins
    Gingerbread Nov 26, 2014

I take things on their merit. Oneplus never intended these to compete with the audiophile class. If you buy a Honda and compare it to a Bentley, you are going to find flaws. Yet if you look at what the Honda is offering it is a great car and a great value. The silver bullet ear buds are Honda of the ear bud world.

kazongo likes this.
  17. Montala
    Gingerbread Nov 26, 2014

18. bravevolfanoftwins
    Gingerbread Nov 26, 2014

A friend has the JBL s100a and they have a little bit of a better feel, but did not justify the triple cost from the bullets, and the sound quality is only marginally better. I might be willing to spend $5 more for them not $25+ more

19. Montala
    Gingerbread Nov 26, 2014

Montala , Nov 26, 2014 :
    Thanks for the info... if the price does drop to reasonable level in the Black Friday sale, I might just " bite the bullet" after all... a silver one, of course! ;)

20. OpException
    Donut Nov 26, 2014

OpException , Nov 26, 2014 :
    I just unboxed mine today. I'm also very happy with the for the price point. I also like the fact that they have a mic and controls.