Simple question via OnePlus Nord

1. Devendra_Walkoli
    Eclair Oct 17, 2020 at 9:06 AM

2. Tokolozi
    Nougat Oct 17, 2020 at 9:16 AM

Tokolozi , Oct 17, 2020 at 9:16 AM :
    It takes way way more space internally, and are more affected by dust.
    Among those they are harder to seal from the environment for water protection.

As someone who designed electronics... Buttons are just easier.

Artemus., B_Wrath, LegolasX and 2 others like this.
  3. Devendra_Walkoli
    Eclair Oct 17, 2020 at 9:36 AM

Devendra_Walkoli , Oct 17, 2020 at 9:36 AM :
    Definately it'll take more space, but consider using small wheel just half of the size of volume buttons. Plus they can add features of alert sliders to wheel just click wheel to change mode like we do to mouse.

4. LegolasX
    Jelly Bean Oct 17, 2020 at 5:02 PM

LegolasX , Oct 17, 2020 at 5:02 PM :
    right.
    so what happens to water resistance?

what happens to phone going for slimmer profile year by year?

to save space companies removed headphone jack, do you think scroll wheel will take lesser space than that?

decades ago some phones had that ugly thing and nothing good can be said about their durability, why should a company bring that thing from dead?

any financial benefits for a company doing so? if not i don't think they will invest, research,test and launch that thing ever.

Artemus. and Tokolozi like this.
  5. Devendra_Walkoli
    Eclair Oct 17, 2020 at 5:10 PM

Devendra_Walkoli , via OnePlus Nord , Oct 17, 2020 at 5:10 PM :
    IK for low price phone its difficult. But consider for high range phone or for Earphones. It's not that hard to develop durable wheel with latest improved technology. It will definitely be more satisfying than buttons .And for slim phones have you seen camera bumps this days 😅

6. LegolasX
    Jelly Bean Oct 17, 2020 at 5:21 PM

LegolasX , Oct 17, 2020 at 5:21 PM :
    there are some high end Media players, some of them have scroll wheels if users want that audio quality, they should look out for those.

smartphones are getting better but still doesn't have very good quality audio output

raised camera modules are fixed and they are raised at certain part of phone which doesn't interfere handling the phone.

now imagine having bump at side of the phone to place a scroll wheel.

its not hard to develop a better headphone jack either but they don't want to.
    you are proposing something that wasn't even on trend when it was launched years and years ago. some phone makers thought it will be a good idea but they were wrong.

personally i would prefer less moving parts in my device, in future i am certain these clicky buttons are also going away replaced by touch sensitive buttons instead.

Tokolozi likes this.
  7. Devendra_Walkoli
    Eclair Oct 17, 2020 at 5:52 PM

Devendra_Walkoli , via OnePlus Nord , Oct 17, 2020 at 5:52 PM :
    What are you saying is right. I'm saying I'm not recommending it. I'll like to have wheel for volume not a need just luxury.
    It will feel satisfying.
    And for volume the keys are already converting into touch controls.