Simple Ways to De-Stress your Smartphone

1. Daisy K. North America Marketing Staff Member Apr 16, 2019

Daisy K., Apr 16, 2019 :
    StressForum.png

Hi Friends,

I remember my first phone - a white LG flip phone. What a beauty. While it was supposed to be used ONLY for emergencies, I took this as an opportunity to subscribe to ~15 daily text messages - horoscope, joke of the day, fish facts etc. I’m sure they regretted this decision once they saw the bill at the end of the month.

Now, 15 daily messages a day seems...mild. With the constant presence of social media, push notifications, messages from friends and coworkers in all timezones, I’m bombarded with pings, blips, and buzzes every few minutes, every day. My poor parents would have a heart attack. Sometimes, even I feel like I need to Marie Kondo my digital life.

For April, National Stress Awareness Month, I’m sharing some tips that I use to make my OnePlus an anxiety-free oasis.

1. Background:

Some of you may be aware that colors can elicit emotional responses. For example, not only is red most commonly associated with excitement and love, it also triggers hunger! Fun fact: Promotional trailers for snacks before movies will often use red as a reminder to grab some last minute popcorn before the lights go down.

For my backgrounds, I try to use a deep blue or purple. It focuses and calms the mind, looks nice in high and low brightness and is gentle on the eyes.

I’ve attached some zen backgrounds we designed to chill you out.
    Zen1.jpg Zen2.jpg Zen3.jpg

2. Organize:
    Organization means something different for everyone. For me, it means keeping my home screen clear and putting all my apps in little folders on the second screen panel. Apps I don’t use everyday go in the folders to keep from feeling cluttered. For others, organization means keeping their calendar on the home page so they can stay on top of their tasks. I’d explore the different methods and decide for yourself which is best to keep your phone a calm space.

Here’s a glance at how I organize my apps.
    Screenshot_20190415-124522.jpg Screenshot_20190415-124704.jpg

3. Block Notifications
    This is obvious but deserves to be said. Allocate some time every day where you put on do not disturb. I try to do this every day after 11pm so that my phone doesn’t wake me up when @David X. messages me at 2 a.m. from HQ. It is also a part of my nightly wind down routine. When I put my phone on do not disturb, I’m also telling my brain that it can turn off for the night.

4. Anti-Stress Apps
    Not only should your phone be a stress free zone, but it should also be a tool to calming down and chilling out. I use Calm to sneak in a meditation at work or on the subway. It’s a hard habit to build but I’m working on it and encourage you to try it with me!

Share your anti-stress tips or zen backgrounds in the comments :)

Balkanikus, laiosg, K.plus and 91 others like this.
  2. B_Wrath Lollipop Apr 16, 2019

B_Wrath, Apr 16, 2019 :
    A really nice thread Daisy! :)
    Teach @David X. Some of the de-stress techniques;) He seems to get worked up at 2am (your time of course). Tell him you need your sleep:p

3. G_plusone Lollipop Apr 16, 2019

G_plusone, Apr 16, 2019 :
    Very much needed when concentrating on work, power naps and Sleeping too

4. devil112 Froyo Apr 16, 2019

faisal337 likes this.
  5. Blue-agila Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 16, 2019

Blue-agila, Apr 16, 2019 :
    Tip:- Turn it off occasionally. Believe it or not your heart will keep pumping

6. DARTH 007 KitKat Apr 16, 2019

DARTH 007, Apr 16, 2019 :
    nice tip,
    but I guess everyone is already using these in some way or the other.

7. felipemendes Jelly Bean Apr 16, 2019

felipemendes, Apr 16, 2019 :
    Cool thread.

For me, wallpapers with sharp contrast anywhere is disturbing. I use Muzei, which dims and blurs the background, and when you double click, is reveals a nice painting from a museum around the world.

8. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Apr 16, 2019

Cheetosdust, Apr 16, 2019 :
    Thank you for the suggestions, @Daisy K.

I usually don't have a problem the devices when I need to do something else, but they are appreciated.

What a nice way to admit you say "Goodbye phone, thank you for everything you did for me" when it's time to upgrade. :p

9. Ruby G. NA Community Manager Staff Member Apr 16, 2019

Ruby G., Apr 16, 2019 :
    Ha that's extreme. How about just cleaning up your home screen?
    Even the extremest of minimalists keep their phone:

10. FlixbusLennart The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Apr 16, 2019

FlixbusLennart, Apr 16, 2019 :
    Another idea is to use an icon pack that is not too busy.
    I use Pure Icon Pack and it's simple, calm and consistent. makes for a great but subtle way to de-stress the phone.

(Evenly shaped icons, muted colours, recurring design elements etc)

1555447259413.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019

11. meatandy Nougat Apr 16, 2019

meatandy, Apr 16, 2019 :
    I NEVER bring my phone into the bedroom during sleeping hours , not even on the same level of the house . Set this standard for yourself and you will begin sleeping like a baby again.
    Believe me 99% of life can wait until morning.

I also use this wallpaper that reminds me of a peaceful place.
    tumblr_odqihppiI71trxee1o1_400.gif

12. Bouncer71 KitKat Apr 17, 2019

Bouncer71, Apr 17, 2019 :
    Thanks for the thread...!
    Never heard of a Stress Awareness Month... 8O

Well, I never liked to be stressed by my smartphone. So right from the beginning (iPhone 3) I had the most used app on the first screen and still on the OP3T...

1555455192538.jpg

Since I only use Facebook via browser, I have a look when I decide to ( every couple of days), plus I disabled notifications for all WhatsApp groups but one..
    Most of the apps are set to silent notifications or disabled completely...
    Almost only real and direct contacts get through immediately...

I think it's important to be in control of my digital Life...
    Just like the good old answering machine...
    I came home, listened to the recordings and then decided when, or even if, to call back... ;D

But it's sometimes hard in this digital day and age to not offend people by my way of dealing with it because they expect immediate response.
    I don't...
    Some actually got really mad at me...
    I told them: " If it's so important or could be life saving just give me a call. And I mean a phone call. Not Skype, WhatsApp or whatever... Or wait till I get back to you..."

Real friends stayed and from others I never heard of again...

And now a song about the theme... 8D

Attached Files:

13. Discostu Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 17, 2019

Discostu, Apr 17, 2019 :
    Lovely thread and a great idea, people underestimate the levels of stress you can get from using a mobile phone.

Personally what I have found helps me is setting DND mode to come on at 8pm and not turn off again until 7am, I have also instigated a policy of not leaving my phone on the bedside table at night and instead charge it then leave it out in the living room till morning.

I've also made sure to have a seperate work phone and personal phone, my work phone is put in a corner of my house when I come home - out of sight out of mind.

I also find blue colours calming, so my background wallpapers typically have blue hues to them.

A digital Wellbeing app I've been using called ActionDash has also helped me identify what apps I use most, when and how many times I unlock my phone - surprisingly a huge amount.

People will joke about the need for an app to tell you what apps you use, which is all well and good, but as smartphone addiction is a real issue this I believe can genuinely help open people's eyes to what they do / or don't do on their phones. A great example for my own usage was that it showed I would unlock my phone and then do nothing. I didn't realise this until the app highlighted it to me and now I am more conscious about when I grab my phone and thinking - "are you fidgeting or do you really need it"

I'm no longer on any social media except for Instagram. Again, this was another case of mindlessly scrolling through Facebook and Twitter with no reason at all. Coming off social media allows me to connect with my friends in person.

Finally I don't have apps on my phone "just because" - if something has not been used or there's no need for it then I get rid of it. Everything is in clearly marked folders so I know where I am going and for my passions in life - photography - I make sure to have a lot of apps that support it. Something I would recommend others do as well - find apps that support and nurture your passions, make your phone work for you.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019

14. jcyq88 Cupcake Apr 17, 2019

jcyq88, Apr 17, 2019 :
    Switch off the phone when you sleep for some rest while your phone gets refresh in the morning during start up :)

G_plusone likes this.
  15. klarkkent Cupcake Apr 17, 2019

16. santosh45 Eclair Apr 17, 2019

santosh45, Apr 17, 2019 :
    I use the scheduled on and off feature at night. This also helps to keep a check on those cravings to check the score at midnight or something like that.

17. G_Nathen_Badalaty_YWDh Cupcake Apr 17, 2019

18. Gionoi Donut Apr 17, 2019

19. Helder_DAlmeida Gingerbread Apr 17, 2019

20. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Apr 17, 2019

Cheetosdust, Apr 17, 2019 :
    This sounds somewhat passive-aggressive :tearsofjoy:

If you added ", huh" at the end of your sentence it would be perfect. :p

Thank you for sharing the video. It's even more impressive doing all that while living with a cat.

It was all love, zen and minimalism until...
    Settings.png
    Settings2.png
    Settings3.png
    How can she live like that? :rolleyes::rolleyes:o_O