[SKETCHES][PRD] #PM CHALLENGE ➥ SecuryOOS

1. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 9, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Feb 9, 2019 :
    Force reboot cannot be disabled.

alessiodales likes this.
  2. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 9, 2019

There is an app on the Play Store called Bouncer, that enables various permissions when an app is in the foreground, but disables them when the apps are in the background. Honestly, I don't see the point of the app. Usually, the kind of information stolen are contacts, sms, location, etc and these are a few kb in size, or just a few mb. So if apps that should not have these permissions for core functionality are allowed access when they are in the foreground, they will be able to steal that information.

So, to be effective, the app must be denied any permission that it shouldn't need for core functionality. Allowing them these permissions only when they are in the foreground defeats the purpose.

Privacy Guard, if implemented, would give the user far more control over his apps, and I would definitely welcome it.

Except for location, no other permission should be granted based on the state of the app (foreground or background).

alessiodales likes this.
  3. Liehjan KitKat Feb 9, 2019

Liehjan, Feb 9, 2019 :
    Oh, then this feature is useless... Didn't know force boot can't be disabled with software :)

4. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 9, 2019

5. Liehjan KitKat Feb 9, 2019

Liehjan, Feb 9, 2019 :
    The one OP it talking about, to disable so that the phone can't be turned off if the device is locked

alessiodales likes this.
  6. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 9, 2019

in a moving bus, if a thief is unable to turn it off, you have a good chance of retrieving your device. it is not always possible for them to remove the sim, especially of you realise that your phone is missing soon enough. likewise, there are other scenarios where this limitation would come in handy.

in other words, you have a better chance of getting back your device if the feature is implemented.

alessiodales and Liehjan like this.
  7. alessiodales Gingerbread Feb 9, 2019

8. G_Егор_Лев_Bfky Gingerbread Feb 10, 2019

alessiodales likes this.
  9. LegolasX Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 10, 2019

LegolasX, Feb 10, 2019 :
    this would be useful when
    1. there is toggle to disable quick tiles in locked state.
    2. toggle to disable power off in locked state. but then again it should always be able to force reboot(its mandatory).

currently we cannot reply to message without unlocking the device and users now want to disable this feature but its for security that its blocked.
    the more the security you want the more its hassle to use the device.
    thats why there are separate apps that do this for users.

if the feature is forced upon user then i don't need it. there should be option for those who don't want to use certain features.

alessiodales likes this.
  10. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 10, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Feb 10, 2019 :
    OP says there should be an "option" to lock/ limit access. if you don't mind it, you can leave it accessible. I have personally locked all such access on my custom ROM and it is completely worth it.

alessiodales likes this.
  11. LegolasX Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 10, 2019

LegolasX, Feb 10, 2019 :
    that's why its custom rom. even i have such options but i don't like to hassle just to unlock my phone.
    lately i have seen so many requests for features from custom roms, some of them are useful others are, well meh..

security is more important and affective if we have it hardware based.
    but its up to OnePlus to what they implement.

on off topic, if all the features of custom roms are dumped into oem roms then they should stop developing them.. don't you think?

alessiodales likes this.
  12. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 10, 2019

you may also want to take a relook at privacy guard feature. allowing temporary access or time-bound access, either way, will defeat the entire purpose of the feature. from privacy guard, it will simply become battery guard because all that it would then do is to prevent apps from running in the background. and not protect your privacy.

alessiodales likes this.
  13. V nagakiran Cupcake Feb 10, 2019

alessiodales likes this.
  14. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 10, 2019

firstly, I don't understand why you are against having an option. option is just that, it isn't forced. what hassle are you talking about? or is the feature not clear to you?

secondly, security is just as effective when software based, as it is when hardware based.

custom ROMs exist precisely for this reason. if OEMs can include all the features requested, then custom ROMs won't exist. that said, there is nothing wrong in implementing some of the most requested features or a few features that are very useful, and especially if it is a security/ privacy related one.

alessiodales likes this.
  15. alessiodales Gingerbread Feb 10, 2019

alessiodales, Feb 10, 2019 :
    Hello,

Thanks for your feedback.:)
    It is not an official update and represent just an idea for a new feature.
    Hopefully OnePlus adds it:rolleyes:

V nagakiran likes this.
  16. V nagakiran Cupcake Feb 10, 2019

alessiodales likes this.
  17. alessiodales Gingerbread Feb 10, 2019

alessiodales, Feb 10, 2019 :
    Thread UPDATED!
    What's new:
    - IMAGE ADDED: Power button menu toggle
    - IMAGE ADDED: Privacy guard quick toggle
    - Privacy guard has now a better description

18. pablofg1978 Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Feb 10, 2019

pablofg1978, Feb 10, 2019 :
    If you have a pin o pattern at startup, it has no difference.

alessiodales likes this.
  19. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 10, 2019

You are talking if secure boot. Not everyone enables it (or even aware of it). So it makes a difference for the majority.

alessiodales likes this.
  20. pablofg1978 Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Feb 10, 2019

pablofg1978, Feb 10, 2019 :
    If you dont have it, anyone can enter into recovery and wipe the phone

alessiodales likes this.