slow after pie update

1. Vishal_.sharma
    Cupcake Jan 22, 2019

Vishal_.sharma , Jan 22, 2019 :
    my One plus 5 has been lagging after the Android pie update. even the light apps like WhatsApp is lagging. the battery backup has reduced drastically after the update.

feernando997 and Fitchymuke like this.
  2. the_o2
    Marshmallow Jan 22, 2019

the_o2 , Jan 22, 2019 :
    Well I think current version of Oxygen OS is not so stable, maybe next version solve the issues,
    Btw you can
    report this bug here

https://forums.oneplus.com/feedback

Vikash raju likes this.
  3. makspayne
    Cupcake Jan 22, 2019

T1508218600823 likes this.
  4. Vikash raju
    Eclair Feb 21, 2019

5. trollsvengence
    Eclair Mar 25, 2019

trollsvengence , Mar 25, 2019 :
    I found a fix!!!! Share this to anyone experiencing lagging on OnePlus phones on Android Pie!!

1. Go to Developer options
    2. Scroll to the bottom and enable "Disable HW Overlays"
    3. Enjoy your lag free phone!!

I don't know if this fixes the battery issue but it might.
    View attachment 990207

6. trollsvengence
    Eclair Mar 25, 2019

trollsvengence , Mar 25, 2019 :
    UPDATE!!!

I've been playing around with it for 20 minutes now and it seems like all you need to do is toggle that option on and back off again. After turning the option back off to how it was before, the phone has not lagged yet. I will update this thread in 24 hours again to let you all know what my final findings are!!

jeyaram s and Vikash raju like this.
  7. Vikash raju
    Eclair Mar 25, 2019

Vikash raju , Mar 25, 2019 :
    thanks allot for your assistance. but I'll wait till u get back to me on this. but for some reason, it doesn't lag if I start a screen recorder I have . I tried to record the lag to have proof but every time I start recording it doesn't lag

jeyaram s likes this.
  8. trollsvengence
    Eclair Mar 26, 2019

trollsvengence , Mar 26, 2019 :
    24 HR Findings

1. Toggling "Disable HW Overlay" On and back off:

Doing this killed the lag by I'd say 80 - 85%. There is still some lag here and there but WAY less. There is barely a difference in battery life from what I have noticed in just 24 HR.

2. Toggling and keeping "Disable HW Overlay" On:

Doing this kills the lag by, I would say, 95%. There is some lag at random times but it's less lag than the previous "fix" from above. Battery life is still a mystery since this "Fix" uses the GPU to "ALWAYS USE GPU FOR SCREEN COMPOSITING" instead of the CPU. I don't know what that really means but I do know using the GPU uses more battery life than what a CPU uses up (just look at when you play games lol)

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Both of these methods kill the lag by a lot. It's not a COMPLETE fix but it will make the phone run better.

Fix #1: Use this one if you care about your battery life and don't mind seeing some lag from time to time. It is WAY less lag than when you upgraded to Pie. Trust me

Fix #2. Use this one if you want to see the least amount of lag as possible and don't mind sacrificing a tiny bit of your battery life. You will still see a bit of lag or stutter but very rare throughout your day.

The phone charges up pretty fast either way so this will be personal preference. Both are good SHORT TERM solutions.

jeyaram s likes this.
  9. trollsvengence
    Eclair Mar 26, 2019

If you hate these "Fixes" and want to go back to Android Oreo just tell me. I will send a link to the OnePlus Oreo OTA.

Sorry for the giant novel I wrote on the fixes [e]1f602[/e] More information the better so you can make your decision.

Rajesh9585, jeyaram s and Vikash raju like this.
  10. Vikash raju
    Eclair Mar 26, 2019

Vikash raju , Mar 26, 2019 :
    thanks for your feedback based on your observation. will try it out. fortunately, OnePlus is taking action for this and sending an engineer to look into this fault. will have to see what they have to say about this

jeyaram s likes this.
  11. Vikash raju
    Eclair Mar 26, 2019

Vikash raju , Mar 26, 2019 :
    that's okay. thankful for you to take time out of your schedule to share this info [e]1f60a[/e]

jeyaram s likes this.
  12. trollsvengence
    Eclair Mar 26, 2019

Yeah no problem! I found that fix on accident to be honest haha I got bored.

13. trollsvengence
    Eclair Mar 28, 2019

trollsvengence , Mar 28, 2019 :
    UPDATE:

I'm not sure about this but I believe toggling on "Disable HW Overlays" toggles itself back off after a few hours. I may be crazy but I strictly remember having it on this morning. I just checked and the option is turned back off. On the positive note I haven't even noticed any lag or stuttering today. ZERO.

What have been your experiences?

14. Berk.Catal
    Gingerbread Mar 28, 2019

Berk.Catal , Mar 28, 2019 :
    I have a lag issues. I switched off the adaptive battery and %90 working lag is going but sometimes animations fluctuating.

I will try "Disable HW Overlay" On and back off and I will tell you..

Thanks @trollsvengence

15. franckwf
    Froyo Mar 31, 2019

franckwf , Mar 31, 2019 :
    Hi, thanks for the suggestion! After I had switched on the button in development option the lags have been disappeared!
    I hope that oneplus will fix bags by new release of pie.

jeyaram s likes this.
  16. Vikash raju
    Eclair Mar 31, 2019

Vikash raju , Mar 31, 2019 :
    hey. I tried this HW option you told. it disappeared. thanks so much mate

jeyaram s likes this.
  17. Vikash raju
    Eclair Apr 10, 2019

Vikash raju , Apr 10, 2019 :
    one plus flew down to my country and trouble shot with my phone for 2 days. then they decided to give me a replacement phone so that they can take mine to China and see what's up. sadly the problem exists on this new phone as well. and the only remedy is to disable HW overlay. let's see what OnePlus has to say about this software glitch.

jeyaram s likes this.
  18. trollsvengence
    Eclair May 9, 2019

trollsvengence , May 9, 2019 :
    Update:

The latest software update for the OnePlus 5T seems to fix the battery drain issues. Prior to updating I would barely get 4 hours of screen on time. In the latest version I'm seeing screen on time of 5 to 5 hours 30 minutes with 10-15% battery left. Let me know what your experiences have been so far!

jeyaram s likes this.
  19. Vikash raju
    Eclair May 9, 2019

Vikash raju , May 9, 2019 :
    I'm using OnePlus 5. the lag is still there are the new 9.05 update but not sure about the battery. will check. thanks bud.

20. trollsvengence
    Eclair May 9, 2019

trollsvengence , May 9, 2019 :
    1557413340938.jpg

1557413340984.jpg
    I'm at 15% with 6 hrs Screen on time. I haven't seen that since I first got my phone!

Don't mind the airplane mode. Lost the sim card tray [e]1f602[/e] but having the sim card in will barely impact battery life anyway.

jeyaram s likes this.