SMS Message Error 28

1. conductron
    Donut Oct 6, 2015

conductron , Oct 6, 2015 :
    I received my OP2 on Friday last week and it's been working perfectly. I've been sending and receiving texts, making calls etc.

I received a text today and replied within seconds, but a message appeared:

"Can't send message with CARD 1, error 28"

This is now the case with all my contacts, and I cannot make calls. I've rebooted the phone, removed the sim and replaced it, etc. It is still happening. Anyone know what this could be?

A brief Google search gives conflicting ideas on the cause of this (some say it's the sim, others say it means the contact's number is not in service (which cannot be true of all my regular contacts!), and others say it's a software issue on the phone).

Unfortunately I have no other nano sim compatible phones to try the sim in, so I am hoping someone here might have an idea of the cause and, potentially, a fix?

2. IBuzZBasHI
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 6, 2015

IBuzZBasHI , Oct 6, 2015 :
    did't experiance this... but i think it is the sim. can't you check with another phone?

Gaurav Rohilla likes this.
  3. conductron
    Donut Oct 6, 2015

conductron , Oct 6, 2015 :
    As I said in the opening message, I haven't got any other phones to try it. Nor have I a nano-micro sim cradle.

4. lukepresland
    Cupcake Oct 14, 2015

lukepresland , Oct 14, 2015 :
    I have the same problem. Phone been working fine all week and now i cant send texts.

Get the same error message - did you fix this?

conductron likes this.
  5. lukepresland
    Cupcake Oct 15, 2015

lukepresland , Oct 15, 2015 :
    turned out I had 2 mobile numbers under 1 contact (1 malformed number) and the phone was trying to send the sms to the malformed phone number. removed it and it works fine now. if you havent fixed it already, check the phone number you are trying to text.

conductron likes this.
  6. Maxmaximun
    Eclair Oct 15, 2015

Maxmaximun , Oct 15, 2015 :
    If you have not already tried you could:
    1) try to clear the cache of the app you use for messages.
    2) force the registration of your network operator or otherwise set the automatic choice.
    3) make sure it is the right message center number (for your network operator).
    In the past (wit android 4.2.) has happened the same problem on my Nexus by flashing a rom ... but I had to reset SMSC number in PDU format to make it work again (hit by the dealer *#*#4636#*#* and entering in the menu appeared, the message center number converted)

conductron likes this.
  7. heyns guy
    Cupcake Dec 18, 2015

heyns guy , Dec 18, 2015 :
    Hi,

After reading this thread, I checked my contacts on SIm.
    I had same issue (error 28 only on 1 of my contacts).
    I seemed that I had several contacts for this same person and one of these had a Phone number that was not complete.
    So checking the list of contacts does help here.

8. L-Ingliz
    Cupcake May 11, 2016

L-Ingliz , May 11, 2016 :
    SO far I had this problem with only two of my contacts, and only on Messenger (SMS). I deleted the contacts, recreated them, switched from phone contacts to SIM - all with no luck. Then, I simply deleted the SMS threads for both contacts, and the problem was fixed!

9. Lancelot_69
    Lollipop May 11, 2016

Lancelot_69 , May 11, 2016 :
    CMS Error code 28 means "Unidentified subscriber:
    This cause indicates that the subscriber is not registered in the PLMN (i.e. IMSI not known)."

That is a very odd response code to get returned. My only guess would be the SIM card is not inserted properly (what happens if you don't have a SIM card inserted ... I've never tried it with a TC35).

Basically, it sounds like the SMSC does not know who you are. But I can't think of what else would cause this.

10. dimidm
    Cupcake Jul 29, 2016

dimidm , Jul 29, 2016 :
    had the same issue, with only one off my contacts, verified the nr and (i dont know why) but the + was suddenly missing befor the nr

added the + again and no more problems

Lancelot_69 likes this.
  11. Sir Jacob
    Cupcake Dec 21, 2018

Sir Jacob , Dec 21, 2018 :
    I am not sure but i think it means you have exeeded your text plan because i have a limited text/talk plan it generally happens after i have sent a lot of texts since my last payment

12. elanglois
    Lollipop Dec 21, 2018

elanglois , Dec 21, 2018 :
    Sir Jacob ... why did you necrobump a thread that is 3 years old?

13. damien2409
    Cupcake May 14, 2019

damien2409 , May 14, 2019 :
    Hi. I have started experiencing the exact same issue today on my OnePlus 5. Can't make any calls or send texts. Get error 28 when sending texts. Can receive texts and calls no issue.

14. sagnew58
    Cupcake Apr 20, 2020

15. sagnew58
    Cupcake Apr 20, 2020