So Here Starts My Nightmare With A DOA Phone As Well.....

1. Naquadah
    Gingerbread Sep 3, 2014

Naquadah , Sep 3, 2014 :
    UPDATE 1 (9/3/2014): Giving up on the support team when I am asked to pay EUR 147 for a touch screen repair for a DOA device with no physical damage evidence.

UPDATE 2 (9/5/2014): Opens a dispute case with Paypal. They gave them until Sep 23:rd to get back to me.

UPDATE 3 (9/10/2014): Opens a second ticket for the same matter. Tried respectfully writing several additional replies to to the first ticket with no received answer whatsoever. I realize that there will be no more answers as another customer has been informed by the company that there will NOT send any more replacements. I now have escalated my dispute with Paypal and claimed a full refund.

CAN NOT UPDATE THIS FIRST POST ANYMORE, SEE UPDATES IN LATER POSTS INSTEAD! VERY INTERESTING READING INDEED, I PROMISE YOU GUYS, JUST KEEP READING MY LATEST UPDATES IN THE 3:D PAGE!
    -------------

Got an invite.
    Very happy to have an invite, claimed it, ordered the phone, got it, opened the box, took it out, tried to power on...NOTHING.
    No sound, no picture on the screen, no lights, no vibration...NOTHING.
    Completely DEAD.

Also, hearing a clunky rattling sound from the inside of the phone. Nothing damaging visible on the outside.

Totally sad, followed these general instructions:
    1. In many cases, we've found that a dead battery is the cause – before trying anything else, make sure to charge your One! (I did charge it for at least 12 hrs).
    2. Power cycle the One by holding the Power button for 20 seconds 5 times (Tried that as well, at least 20 times maybe more, nothing happens. The screen is dead, no sounds, no picture, no vibrations).
    3. Attempt to start the phone by holding down the Power button along with the Volume down button to start recovery mode and performing a factory reset (Again, nothing happens. The phone is totally utterly DEAD. There is NO indication that anything makes this unit to power on at all).

NOTHING.

Opened a ticket for getting support, of course ANYBODY would understand that I've received a BAD non functional unit. Asked for a new one. Here's my ticket letter to OnePlus:

Hello. I received my 64GB EU Standalone Black International Ed a couple of days ago. Was on a business trip since then, opened the package yesterday. I have a TOTALLY dead unit. I have tried EVERYTHING possible to try and power it on, with no luck. I have gone through all the official recommendations already:

1. In many cases, we've found that a dead battery is the cause – before trying anything else, make sure to charge your One! (I did charge it for at least 12 hrs).
    2. Power cycle the One by holding the Power button for 20 seconds 5 times (Tried that as well, at least 20 times maybe more, nothing happens. The screen is dead, no sounds, no picture, no vibrations).
    3. Attempt to start the phone by holding down the Power button along with the Volume down button to start recovery mode and performing a factory reset (Again, nothing happens. The phone is totally utterly DEAD. There is NO indication that anything makes this unit to power on at all).

SO ABESOLUTELY NOTHING. Also when slightly shaking the unit in my hand, I can clearly detect a clunky sound from the inside of the phone, I hear something rattling inside the casing itself. I'm ABSOLUTELY sure that this unit is already broken from inside somehow. Maybe it was dropped by the shipping carrier at some point, maybe earlier.

And PLEASE do not tell me to take off the back cover of the phone and try to change the battery or look inside......I have seen several people try and open the back cover which by doing that have ruined the bezels and makes a gap between the back cover lining and the bezel. I am NOT gonna do that, I just want a working unit in my hand, that was what I paid for, not to sit at home and experiment back and forth like a crazy techy person, I'm not a techy individual.

Also, there are NO physical signs of damage on the outside of the unit at all. Nothing that indicates the phone would have been dropped, smashed or damaged. From the outside it looks fine.

I am now totally WITHOUT a working smartphone now because this unit does not work. I have now borrowed an old Nokia 6125 (15 yr old dumb phone) JUST to be able to make my work phone calls and send a couple of SMS. I am in desperate need of a working unit.

To be honest, I believe the unit I received, might have been an already RMA unit which might have been repaired somehow, but now is totally unusable, dead and should be discarded.

Since this phone is DOA and there's rattling sound inside, I will NOT accept sending the phone in for a repair first, making me wait for a month or two, to get a reply from your company (I have seen numerous cases on the forum who are still waiting for a solution) and I do NOT accept a repair of a brand new unit which arrives DOA with rattling sound in SUCH bad condition that it doesn't even power on. Whatever you try to do to repair this unit, I'm ABSOLUTELY sure that the life span of this particular unit has already been shortened tremendously because a unit which is dead from the start and gets repaired a week or two after being received as new, will NOT be like a new phone and will definitely not last as if I had received a fully working unit.

I used an invite and paid for a fully working unit, not one that has to be sent in days after arrival, waited for another weeks to come and get somehow temporarily repaired, take it back, and then get a new problem with it, having to go through the same procedure over and over again....a smartphone is something a person needs to use EVERYDAY for all sorts of purposes, this is not something I can be without for months, weeks, not even days. My whole job description gets crippled without a working unit.

I would very much like to ask OnePlus to please be kind, help me out and just send me another BRAND NEW unit as soon as possible, BECAUSE I NEED A WORKING CELLULAR PHONE. Then your carrier can come and pick this faulty unit up at anytime you desire. I don't want such faulty unit directly from the beginning. I did not pay for a phone to be dead on arrival, to have to send it back, wait a month, and the get it back with a message "we repaired it for you, try it now and see what happens". To me, that is NOT as good as a new unit anymore :( And to me, that is NOT an acceptable solution.

I want to make one thing clear. I WANT this phone! One of my friends received his unit a week ago, it works perfectly, he loves it, I tried his unit, looked at it, used it for a couple of hours, it's a great phone, I have NO desire to ask for my money back, I don't want a refund, I am not unhappy with how the phone works or what it can do....I just want a working unit from the start.

Could you guys please send me a new unit as soon as possible so I can get on with my life? Then pick up this faulty unit and either discard it or repair it if possible and send it as a refurbished unit, I don't care.....but I paid for a newly working unit. I don't have time to communicate for months with the support team. I even let my friend who is much more technically gifted than I am, to look at the phone and try to help out, after half an hour he said "this phone is WITHOUT DOUBT" a totally bad and dead unit and something inside is definitely broken, you should not accept to have this one repaired, you should just ask for a new unit".

Help me ASAP please! I want a OnePlus One, I'm a good customer, I have NOT been to the forums to complain about anything, that is not my style.....just want to be a happy customer with a working unit!

Please help me out soon, I can not afford to go out and buy a new phone and on my line of work I'm totally depended on a smartphone. I would like to have a new unit please. I have not even removed the removable display protective cover yet.....

PS. I had to look up the IMEI of the phone by looking it up at the packaging box label with the accompanying bar code since I can not power on the phone at all. PS.

Regards

#############################

Now I will quote the answer I got from someone at the support or company called "Wilona":

Dear Effat,

I'm sorry for my late reply, based on your descriptions, we could provide a repair service.

For the repair services for your OnePlus One, the price will be as follows:

Touchscreen display EUR 132
    Repair cost EUR 15

Total EUR 147

Please let us know if you’d like to send in your device for repairs, we’ll process the request and arrange for pickup as soon as possible.

Best regards,
    Wilona

#############################

WTF?????

They sent me a DOA unit, I paid over EUR 300 to get it with an official invite, and now they tell me to pay EUR 147 for repair??????????????????

W T F ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Is this OnePlus company warranty promise?
    Sending me a dead unit (I haven't even removed the protective display cover yet) and now this person tells me to pay another EUR 147 for "repair"????? What is my options? Pay for the shipping and return the phone within those 14 days????

I made an RMA request for a DEAD phone.

Could someone tell me please what kind of a reply that is to a customer who bought a NEW phone with an OFFICIAL invite? Did they remove the 1 yr warranty promise as well now??

W T F ? ? ? ? ? ?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

2. jksN
    Froyo Sep 3, 2014

superchinook likes this.
  3. Naquadah
    Gingerbread Sep 3, 2014

Naquadah , Sep 3, 2014 :
    I swear to God, that is an EXACT copy/paste of the reply I got from OnePlus about a DOA phone. Since it's DOA, how the hell am I supposed to sell it to someone else then???? So I threw out EUR 300 and now they want an additional EUR 147 FPR REPAIR.

How the hell does this person know that this is a touch screen related issue??? The phone does not even power on, something is broken inside, it rattles like hell from the inside....

I mean if this is NOT scamming, what is?

4. mmsen
    Honeycomb Sep 3, 2014

mmsen , Sep 3, 2014 :
    Sorry about this.

This is terrible.

OnePlus - people are watching.

I like the phone but get your ish togther. You would have got my money a lot earlier and probably more of it were it not for the terrible stories regarding consumer care.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

superchinook and gremlin like this.
  5. keithnyc
    Moderator Moderator Sep 3, 2014

keithnyc , Sep 3, 2014 :
    did you pay with Paypal or a charge card. If so, dispute the charge with them and attach your support (emails etc.). That should clear things up and at least you'll get your money back.

6. n19htmare
    Jelly Bean Sep 3, 2014

n19htmare , Sep 3, 2014 :
    Step 1. CALM DOWN.

2 Things happened here.

1) The reply was simply an error and was not meant for you because you obviously do not need a screen replacement.

2) You said SO MUCH that you confused the rep. Support is not very affluent in English, it's possible that in your essay, she picked up the wrong problem.

I've been very critical of the support department but I think you need to Calm down and tackle the problem again with to the point inquiry, not an essay.

7. Naquadah
    Gingerbread Sep 3, 2014

Naquadah , Sep 3, 2014 :
    I actually paid with Paypal....yeah there's an idea actually, thx, did not even think that far because I've been soooo mad and let down by this fake hyped up company.

I just want to know, for God sakes, WHAT KIND OF A WARRANTY PROMISE IS THIS?
    If the company does not even allow a replacement unit for a DOA phone, then how would ANYONE be able to get any kind of warranty service at all???

superchinook and gremlin like this.
  8. n19htmare
    Jelly Bean Sep 3, 2014

n19htmare , Sep 3, 2014 :
    Again. Calm down. The reply from Wilona is obviously an error. As I said you wrote an entire freaking essay in your ticket.

No one cares that you have to use a 15 yr old Nokia device. There are steps in the RMA process... They will 1) Diagnose 2) Issue an RMA.

All you need to write in your ticket is that the phone doesn't turn on, you have followed all advised steps. .... what other steps if any are there? if issue persists, can you please issue RMA.

That's it.

Oneples DOES NOT do advanced RMA...they will come pick up the device and once they get it, t hey will send you a replacement. Sucks but that's just how it is.

9. Naquadah
    Gingerbread Sep 3, 2014

Naquadah , Sep 3, 2014 :
    First of all, I tried to be as precise as possible to explain the problem just to help the support team. I don't think you should criticize me for trying and be thorough.

Well if that was a mistake, then fine, but I'm sorry I don't have a sixth sense, I have to react to the kind of reply I receive, I have no insight when it comes to what the support team does or not...I should not be the one having to apologize.

But as long as this mistake can be rectified, then I will be happy and tell about that in a very positive way as well...but you can not assume that I should understand the support team made a mistake...

10. keithnyc

keithnyc , Sep 3, 2014 :
    My only worry about this phone before I ordered was the potential lack of after-care support, which LOTS of folks like you have been experiencing. I was willing to accept that risk only because I knew Amex would support me for the first 30-days if I received a broken product (I risked the fact that if anything happened after that time period, I'd probably be out of luck).
    Although OPO acknowledges they need to clean this up, that certainly doesn't help you and others that are going through these problems. I would strongly suggest you immediately contact Paypal and ask for their help in resolving this issue. Good luck, dude.

superchinook, gremlin and Naquadah like this.
  11. keithnyc

keithnyc , Sep 3, 2014 :
    I think Nightmare has a point.....OPO support likely did make a mistake. I would go back to them and just bullet out the specific problems. I would also go the Paypal route. Between those two follow-ups, it'll get resolved.

superchinook likes this.
  12. Naquadah
    Gingerbread Sep 3, 2014

Naquadah , Sep 3, 2014 :
    Yes I agree.
    I will try again and issue a RMA. But I don't understand why I have to sit and wait for a dead phone to be picked up, shipped across half the world, examined, and then wait for a new one to be ordered...this will take weeks if not months :(

I will take the Paypal route I think, I think I have to prioritize to get my money back in order to acquire a new one ASAP, I can not be without a smartphone for weeks. although this is unfortunate, I still won't apologize for my reaction, I reacted to the reply I got from the support team. Being criticized that I explained the problem TOO WELL, is impolite and outrages...don't need that kinda shit.

superchinook, gremlin and indika like this.
  13. keithnyc

keithnyc , Sep 3, 2014 :
    I hear you....You wanted to give them the full color of the real problem and you felt that all the details were necessary to get your point across. Unfortunately those details may have confused the support team. It made total sense to you and me, but apparently not to them. I try to behave like I'm in Judge Judy's court room explaining my case.....I just give concise bulleted points that state the problem, no more and no less so she can help me. She doesn't care about the other details to justify why I'm upset and outraged, and it will probably just confuse things.
    I saw a show yesterday that detailed the general differences of how men and women sometimes communicate in business (because of the way the brain works differently in men and women). For example, and generally speaking, men may be more specific and to the point and will leave out a lot of the emotional issues and other details (if something has been missed, they will answer any follow-up questions as needed); women on the other hand tend to add the other details and emotions since they feel that's part of the entire problem (and they don't want to be asked to provide further details...they've already given them).

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014

superchinook and Naquadah like this.
  14. Naquadah
    Gingerbread Sep 3, 2014

Naquadah , Sep 3, 2014 :
    @keithnyc:
    LOL! You are so very right! Men are from Mars and Women from Venus, right?! :D
    Yeah well I tend to over-describe sometimes maybe...I'm guilty of that charge.

But still, I was neither impolite nor did I actually write anything in my first support ticket to confuse anyone, I mean, I just repeated the problem a couple of times that the phone was dead on arrival and that no matter what I did nothing came out.

I don't think anybody was confused by my ticket letter, but I do accept that she might have sent a reply intended for someone else to me instead by mistake.

The thing that is worrisome is that I've read many stories here about people with problems and when the support process gets prolonged for several weeks, suddenly you have an option of selling the phone or returning it before your 14 days are up and lose shipping money...or just be stuck with a faulty unit hoping that the support gets better with time. And I tried to explain that it was not an option for me, I'm so depended of the phone...I can take minor flaws, those I can wait with...but not when a phone is DOA. So the reply I got confused the brains out of me.

But yeah, the psychy of men and women are very different... lol :)

superchinook and keithnyc like this.
  15. keithnyc

keithnyc , Sep 3, 2014 :
    LOL...Understood. You are right that they have to make good on fixing this issue. By the way, I tend to over-detailize as well (as you can see in my responses).

superchinook likes this.
  16. OnePlus83
    Gingerbread Sep 3, 2014

OnePlus83 , Sep 3, 2014 :
    Well, if they don't understand english in OnePlus, then we are in trouble. There was absolutely nothing wrong in the RMA message, that OP had sended to the OnePlus.

I can't believe this company. They are a joke! Seriously asking money from the customer in DOA case. Yep! That is insane.

17. Naquadah
    Gingerbread Sep 3, 2014

Naquadah , Sep 3, 2014 :
    How do I even ask for a RMA? and where can I do that? Wasn't that what I just did in my first e-mail I quoted here earlier?? All I can find is "ticket to support team". I have already done that obviously and from the reply I got since they're saying it was the wrong answer I'm not even being advised there to make a RMA. Is there a link to any page for claiming RMA??

superchinook likes this.
  18. Naquadah
    Gingerbread Sep 3, 2014

Naquadah , Sep 3, 2014 :
    Thx man...well I don't speak Chinese so I tried my best to explain the situation. A phone is such a necessary thing in everybody's life that I just think it should be normal to replace a bad DOA unit ASAP to make a customer happy and then pick the bad one up...not sure why that would've been too much to ask...

superchinook likes this.
  19. fishmd
    Gingerbread Sep 3, 2014

fishmd , Sep 3, 2014 :
    Nope. First they have to approve the RMA. Then they send you a link to that. Then you wait to get the RMA approved, even though you already got it approved before with support...

superchinook, gremlin and Naquadah like this.
  20. Naquadah
    Gingerbread Sep 3, 2014

Naquadah , Sep 3, 2014 :
    Thank you for the reply m8.
    I was not aware that I got an RMA approved before because I have not received an official e-mail confirmation for that, all I got was what I quoted in my first post here. But maybe you're referring to what n19htmare wrote here earlier...well if that's the official approval of a RMA, cool. But I still replied to the e-mail I got earlier and asked for further instructions.

I again reminded OnePlus that it's not acceptable to ask a customer with a DOA phone to wait to have the bad one picked up first, examined, make decisions, try to repair, maybe replace, then wait some more to receive another....it will take several weeks. Telling me "that's how it works" is just plain rude and lousy customer support....everybody uses their phones all day, so either I want a replacement ASAP and then OnePlus carrier can pick up the faulty one whenever they want and do whatever they want with it, or a full refund, I then will contact Paypal and make a request for a full refund instead. I have to draw the line somewhere...wrong e-mail replies, bad English, accusing me for being too detailed in my explanation and then having to wait for weeks and weeks for a working unit, which I paid for already several weeks ago. This issue is NOT like a yellow banding problem, I can not even use my phone, so I expect it to be handled differently and urgently please.

superchinook likes this.