Software Diffrence Between T-Mobile and Unlocked models?

1. Colinm428
    Honeycomb Nov 2, 2018

Colinm428 , Nov 2, 2018 :
    if the hardware is the same tho then we should be able to flash the global firmware because it will work on TMobile as well

2. samprocat
    Honeycomb Nov 2, 2018

samprocat , Nov 2, 2018 :
    No
    Your boot loader is locked.

3. samprocat
    Honeycomb Nov 2, 2018

Yes
    definitely i you have way to flash originall One+ boot loader and Software

4. tsmith1
    Cupcake Nov 2, 2018

tsmith1 , Nov 2, 2018 :
    Where did you find official build, it's not on their website yet

5. Colinm428
    Honeycomb Nov 2, 2018

I can unlock it though

6. Colinm428
    Honeycomb Nov 2, 2018

also an unlocked bootloader is needed for loading official software

7. lkosova
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 2, 2018

lkosova , Nov 2, 2018 :
    One plus is opening up to a whole new customer base and t mobile has to be loyal to their base as well. They can't release something and have millions of customer issues. I am in agreement with you but just looking at both sides of this. I would think the next release with Tmobile will be smoother or.. Just buy direct but that $300 is sweet if you have an older one plus phone.

8. djkinetic
    Gingerbread Nov 2, 2018

djkinetic , Nov 2, 2018 :
    I explained this over at xda in short if u pay ur device in full yes you can get TMobile to Sim unlock the Device even before 40days. however to unlock the bootloader you must still request an unlock token from one plus. unlocking the sim simply allows u to turn on the oem unlock slider in developer options..this however is not an indicator of the bootloaders actual status.

what that slider allows u to do is issue a command in fastboot to get the unlock code for ur device. which u send to one plus. OnePlus will send u a token.. once u receive this u will flash the token in fastboot and then issue the oem unlock command in fastboot. then and only then will the bootloader be unlocked.

again this outlined here: https://support.oneplus.com/app/ans...-bootloader-for-oneplus-6t-(t-mobile-version)

now to answer some questions.. will unlocking the bootloader allow u to flash the current global version update and future updates..the official line is no.. unlocking the bootloader doesn't magically change the device into the same device as the global version.. seems tmobile chose a specific variant instead of the global version.. now what we can do is once the bootloader is unlocked twrp can be built specifically for the T-Mobile 6t.. this then can be used to flashed modified roms specifically tailored for the tmo variant that are based on global updates. of course 3rd party roms like lineage etc can be developed and flashed as well.

for now assume the worst that we can't flash any global rooms without modifications needing to be done. if that doesn't turn out to be the case then great but there's no point in speculating till we are able to actually test.

point is the variant needs to be unlocked bootloader wise and then development can start.

9. samprocat
    Honeycomb Nov 2, 2018

lkosova

One plus is opening up to a whole new customer base and t mobile has to be loyal to their base as well. They can't release something and have millions of customer issues. I am in agreement with you but just looking at both sides of this. I would think the next release with Tmobile will be smoother or.. Just buy direct but that $300 is sweet if you have an older one plus phone.​

It is sweet only if you have never feel freedom from fully unlocked boot loader and no additional coding thrown on top of One+.
    For people that just can't justify payment in full from hia pocket and don't mind that software is controlled entirely by carrier it is ticket to buy.
    With my perspective I don't buy carrier branded phone's....no matter how good the offer is.
    Remember that carrier's are no dummy......
    By coding and locking boot loader they are open to to make profits by other app developers for the chance that you will download suggested app.... even this is not system locked app.
    One major app that is in the system and can't be forced close or uninstall is T Mobile account app....
    Now that is what is on the surface of this app what T Mobile want you to believe.
    Truth is something way more than what you think.
    It will run in background and
    Report network telematics to the provider
    It will gather and report how you use phone.... this is gray area I'm not going to write all.
    So are you definitely 100% sure that your privacy is worth of buying carrier branded phone's

10. samprocat
    Honeycomb Nov 2, 2018

You deserve new Thread for T Mobile One+ 6T
    Unless bits on the chip or modem are not hard set this is going to be additional coding over Modem.... boot loader and kernel

11. lkosova
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 2, 2018

lkosova , Nov 2, 2018 :
    Totally get it and agree. Just expressing an opinion and trying to look at both sides of this . But in theory that $300 is a nice deal of you have an older phone..... Looks like I am waiting till the OP 7 anyway. There's really nothing wrong with my OP 3 BTW.... Just getting that tech itch ..... I will see what's coming out at CES.. Consumer Electronic Show in Vegas this year .... Maybe the OP 6t 5g?) :

12. djkinetic
    Gingerbread Nov 2, 2018

djkinetic , Nov 2, 2018 :
    samprocat

exactly I mentioned just getting a recovery built like twrp developers will need to look at the kernel to see what is different and modified vs the global version. things we cant see without having the device rooted or unlocked.

samprocat likes this.
  13. samprocat
    Honeycomb Nov 2, 2018

5G will be hype like 4G LTE....
    It will be a lot less coverage for 5G than 4G
    To make extreme downloads they need high frequency and this alone is going to be challenging and costly for providers.
    Higher the Repitor frequency lower the square feet coverage.
    No wonder why they are involved in micro repitor site's.

14. rservello
    Gingerbread Nov 2, 2018

rservello , Nov 2, 2018 :
    The shipped T-Mobile version is outdated. Remember...."delayed" updates.

15. samprocat
    Honeycomb Nov 2, 2018

I'm only afraid that in future T Mobile will prevent One+ from giving tokens for unlocking boot loader.
    They don't like people like me.
    I don't buy T Mobile brand phone.
    What most people don't understand
    Samsung
    LG
    and etc.
    If they are purchased trough Carriers they are nothing but T Mobile exclusively coded phones

16. samprocat
    Honeycomb Nov 2, 2018

And I guess I'm one of 3 people mentioned by T Mobile One+ subscribers
    I have 3 accounts and all they are One+ 5T
    And they mentioned 200 000 on tmobile with One+ already way before One+ make deal with Tmobile

17. GalaxyS3
    Eclair Nov 2, 2018

GalaxyS3 , Nov 2, 2018 :
    Hey Colinm428, since your 6T is now carrier unlocked, could you try to use it on Verizon and test VoLTE, HD calls, visual voicemail,...?. I really appreciate it. TIA

18. P1527646361637
    Donut Nov 2, 2018

P1527646361637 , Nov 2, 2018 :
    I think I'll be giving my tmo 6t back and going the global way again. to many untold issues and less of a phone for same price.

19. venustas
    Eclair Nov 2, 2018

venustas , Nov 2, 2018 :
    Seems logical however what I'm saying is there are 2 computers in each phone. Flashing the global firmware (Android's) will not change the baseband modem's firmware necessarily. Getting around this is not a sure thing and may be a lot of work.

Hmm now I see why indie phones like the Purism phone and Lightphone 2 are gaining interest. We need more control over our phones.

20. Nosferatu.
    Donut Nov 2, 2018

Nosferatu. , Nov 2, 2018 :
    Some common misconceptions...

1.) Just about every carrier is going to protect their best interests. The locked bootloader and sim lock is no surprise. While they "could have" maybe made the bootloader easier to unlock they certainly weren't going to give you a subsidized device without a sim lock. Look at Verizon with the Pixel. Same thing as OnePlus with T-Mobile.

2.) SIM LOCK and BOOTLOADER LOCK are two different things. My gosh the ignorance I've read in this thread thus far.

3.) You want an easy "drama-free" device without questions? Buy the unlocked version. I could have turned in one of my OP devices for the credit but opted not to. Been there and done that with carrier devices. If you cannot afford to pay the $600 to buy the phone outright then maybe you should second guess whether you really should bother buying the phone. No offense but upgrading to the 6T is a "want" not a "need" and likely whatever phone you have currently (or stopped using to upgrade to a OnePlus 6T) still worked perfectly fine.

Yes, it's nice to save the $300 but depending what state you live in you'll pay state tax buying TMO whereas the unlocked one you will not. The majority in this thread want the unlock so you're going to pay up the $580 within a month to get your EIP but after you factor in sales tax you were within a few dollars of the 256GB model and drama-free with no locks. Personally, $12.50/mo credit on the account for 2 years is not worth these headaches and if it's the difference between whether you can get by in a month once again you should think again before splurging on the phone.

4.) No one is going to know if the modem issue will cause a problem with the global ROMs until someone gets a bootloader unlock completed. Do you want to be the guinea pig? Does it require a flash to the global modem and that's it? Time will tell. 99% of the members on here aren't going to want to risk bricking their device without any straight forward recovery options available.

5.) With that said, everyone should read this person's post again carefully before asking questions. It pretty much sum it up in a nutshell where we are at currently.

samprocat likes this.