Software Story - Parking Location Service

1. Gary C. OxygenOS Operations Staff Member May 9, 2019

Gary C., May 9, 2019 :
    Hi everyone,

OnePlus Shelf is positioned to bring more convenience to your life with more intelligent services in the future. And today, the protagonist of our story is our Parking Location Service. This new feature allows you to track your parking location and guide you back to your vehicle. I am sure most of us are no strangers to having the parking location of the car just slipping out of our mind while trying to get back to it. Our Parking Location Service is inspired to tackle that very same problem.

pk001.png

Still, not all users are accustomed to or prefer marking the parking location by allowing location access, for it might comprise their privacy. Many people have formed the habit of taking pictures instead. Therefore, we chose to provide the two choices in parallel, so that you can decide which one fits you best.

Just imagine this scenario: you just parked your car on a mall parking lot, you take a picture to remember where and leave. Then you're having fun and, in the meantime, take a bunch of photos. But when you are ready to go back to your car, you realize that you have to flip through the photo album before finally getting the right picture of the parked car. Doesn’t this sound too cumbersome? Now, with Parking Location Service, all you need to do is to turn on the service in Shelf, then tap to take a picture or enable location access to mark the parking location of your car. Easy and efficient!

pk002.png

It's also quite common to connect mobile phones to a car kit through Bluetooth. So, we start to ponder over the possibility of helping users acquire location information the minute the phone is disconnected from Bluetooth. If users feel unsure about this feature, they can also take photos as a supplementary means. The photo gets tucked away in the corner of the map to not get in the way of the location information. To view detailed information, you just need to tap on the picture.

pk003.png

Whether you prefer an accurate location or a photo is a better fit for you, you can quickly view where your car is parked by simply swiping right to access Parking Location Service in Shelf.

Parking Location Service has enjoyed popularity among many beta users, that also provided quite valuable suggestions. For example, some users proposed to add a sub-feature of parking duration displayed atop. On the one hand, it allows you to know how much time you have spent on shopping in the mall or social gathering with friends. On the other hand, you can also have an accurate estimate about the parking fees which are high in some places or free for a few hours elsewhere. This does provide an orientation for optimization and we are already embarking on it.

Parking Location Service has been launched on closed and open beta branches and will soon be available on stable builds. So, if you are a car owner, please give this new feature a try and let us know your valuable comments! https://forums.oneplus.com/feedback/

Never Settle!

2. B_Wrath Marshmallow May 9, 2019

B_Wrath, May 9, 2019 :
    Hi @Gary C. Good to see the behind the scenes of developing this feature.
    On the other hand, most of us are accustomed to Google's parking location feature as it captures the parked location automatically and is conveniently shown on the Google assistant and had notifications.
    Is there any possibility to capture this data and show it on the parking location widget on the shelf? Instead of going through the trouble of saving the location everytime?

3. JelleZon KitKat May 9, 2019

JelleZon, May 9, 2019 :
    I think this feature could be useful, but not really n necessary.

we need basic essential stuff in our Oxygen OS! like screen recording, true dark mode etc, not much super fancy features.

actually I've never used the parking feature so far...

4. devesh darji Gingerbread May 9, 2019

devesh darji, May 9, 2019 :
    Very good feature. But in India usually parking are in basement where absolutely no signals are there. Will try this weekend and let you know how it works as feedback is always important for Devs

faisal.sidekick likes this.
  5. BhavyaMehta0786 Ice Cream Sandwich May 9, 2019

BhavyaMehta0786, May 9, 2019 :
    How is screen recording an essential feature? Like what will people use it for? Gameplay recording and/or streaming? I don't think that is a feature that everyone would use and would simply increase the bloat... and btw there is a screen recording option in the Google Play games app...
    and what do you mean by true dark mode? the dark mode in OxygenOs is the truest dark mode you can get as almost all of the pixels are off...

nice thread @Gary C.

damnitjoshua likes this.
  6. JelleZon KitKat May 9, 2019

JelleZon, May 9, 2019 :
    a lot of the dark is just grey

I mean something like in the new Q Update.
    hopefully they integrate it.

screen record can be useful to show settings, tutorials, bugs or something like this.

7. BhavyaMehta0786 Ice Cream Sandwich May 9, 2019

BhavyaMehta0786, May 9, 2019 :
    are you sure about that? I think pretty much everything is pitch black... I don't seem to remember anything grey, if you could give me an example?

but again, do most people who own a device need a screen recorder? I get the idea of having a screen recorder (I use the du screen recorder app myself to record bugs and all) but it will just unnecessarily add bloat for something which can be easily download off of the playstore...

8. SJBoss Lollipop May 9, 2019

SJBoss, May 9, 2019 :
    But.. but... we added a widget??

Soon OOS will end up like Touchwiz or MIUI, more like touchwiz lots of duplicate apps that no one wanna use.

9. B_Wrath Marshmallow May 9, 2019

B_Wrath, May 9, 2019 :
    I really hate this new direction oneplus is taking.

10. Helder_DAlmeida Gingerbread May 9, 2019

O1557982948441 likes this.
  11. Robin A. Community Product Manager Staff Member May 9, 2019

Robin A., May 9, 2019 :
    never settle!;););)

O1557982948441 likes this.
  12. Sunil Yadav ji Cupcake May 9, 2019

13. G_plusone Marshmallow May 9, 2019

G_plusone, May 9, 2019 :
    So will TouchWiz become less bloated o_O

SJBoss and B_Wrath like this.
  14. SJBoss Lollipop May 9, 2019

Chosen_One and G_plusone like this.
  15. G_plusone Marshmallow May 9, 2019

16. DARTH 007 KitKat May 9, 2019

DARTH 007, May 9, 2019 :
    good to see you writing something useful for the ist time.

anyways this parking feature is recording also.
    you will know of you start using it.
    which means the phone is continuously running in the background.
    what happens if battery is low and the phone switches off,you loose your picture which you have saved .
    if you loose GPS signal,same thing may happen.
    hence not very reliable.
    reliability is like 2 on a scale to 10.
    in other words looks like a half baked attempt at something and then blowing the trumpet to announce it.

17. DARTH 007 KitKat May 9, 2019

DARTH 007, May 9, 2019 :
    one of the best ways to ensure you don't forget your car in multilevel car parking or in other streets where you have to park your car at a distance .
    open the KEEP app, take a new picture and convert it Into a note, and jot down anything if you have to.in that way your parking notes are safe and secure without the fear of having been deleted.
    if you use the OnePlus parking feature you may loose your car if you forget your spot.
    in other words a half baked attempt at something. similar to the OnePlus notes app.
    now I'm waiting for the moderator to respond and give me a warning because I have written against OnePlus.
    lol

Chosen_One likes this.
  18. B_Wrath Marshmallow May 9, 2019

B_Wrath, May 9, 2019 :
    You haven't seen all of my posts then.
    I did use it.
    Not sure about this. Didn't cause much of battery drain in the few days I tried that.

otto2 likes this.
  19. gaurav27jul Gingerbread May 9, 2019

gaurav27jul, May 9, 2019 :
    Great feature, I had used it in my Motorola mobile. That automatically mark my car parking location in Google map. I think that feature integrated in phone by Google itself.

20. Nithinreddynani Cupcake May 9, 2019

Nithinreddynani, May 9, 2019 :
    This one is good thought which is also helpful... but there is no option of keeping different password to *AppLock* and *Screenlock* so that everyone can easily open the secrets in AppLocked application . pls make that both get different passwords it will be helpful for maintaining secrets in apps ...
    thank you