Software Update Excitement Thread

1. RaBjo
    Froyo Feb 7, 2020

RaBjo , Feb 7, 2020 :
    One starts to wonder if the 2019-nCoV (novel corona virus) is having a deeper inpact on the Chinese society than first belived and reported.

My toughts and prayers are going to all the people thats beeing impacted and sick in this outbreak.

I really hope that the Chinese are successful in their fight to stop the spreading of the virus.

If it spreads to other poorer and not so structured countries with a high density of population the impact there will be even worse.

It shows that when a company reaches a certain size, business continuity plans and risk management by having multiple SW development sites around the world is a good idea.

That said, waiting for a SW patch in these conditions, when people are dying in the outbreak is a small and unimportant thing.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020

2. G1572469583021
    Gingerbread Feb 7, 2020

G1572469583021 , Feb 7, 2020 :
    thank you so much for the kind words for OnePlus and the Chinese in general. I'm sure they will get back on track once they're done possibly dealing with this endemic. maybe working on things anyway the OnePlus 7t on T-Mobile got an update to December security patch in early February I think it was to fix the GPS issues as well. and I'm very hopeful and confident that one plus will be sending updates out to their international phones as well as T-Mobile's variants again in a couple weeks.

but also my prayers and hopes to the Chinese while they deal with this outbreak.

3. Grilled_Trout
    Gingerbread Feb 7, 2020

Grilled_Trout , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Feb 7, 2020 :
    I have the unlocked 1+7Pro and it is sitting with November security patch level. Right now, at a time where an update is due soon, my device is effectively three months behind.

Understanding and accepting the bi-monthly schedule, being behind one or even two months (upto the time like this where update is imminent per schedule) is acceptable, but falling to 3 or more months behind at ANY time is NOT.

Why should your phone that was updated 2 months ago with December security patch level be only given January level of security after 2 months? Why were they able to give you December level of security in December last time but not any other time?

I have used Galaxy Note 9 since release, and that phone has never fallen behind 2 months in security patch level. I was fortunate enough to never encounter bugs. So never make an assumption that an OEM's quicker update and patch cycle leads to bugs. That is an exception rather than the norm.

I am willing to wait further into any month for an update, if that leads to the update including the appropriate level of security patch. Hence my suggestion for OnePlus to initially alter the schedule a little bit.

By accepting the bi-monthly update schedule which effectively cuts the workload by as much as HALF, I feel we have already given OnePlus the benefit of the doubt for being smaller, upstart company, yada yada, and any other excuses. that people come up with.

S1545458362819 likes this.
  4. Grilled_Trout
    Gingerbread Feb 7, 2020

Most kind words of encouragement. Very thoughtful of you. Internet needs more posters like you. Much respect to you.

RaBjo likes this.
  5. G1572469583021
    Gingerbread Feb 7, 2020

will you have the 1 + 7 pro which is a older model mine is the 7t pro I actually got my update in January 16th when the phone came out it was on the members update which the phone came out December 6th. so it was a month behind right now I am a two months behind but if the update comes out this month is January's update then I'm a month behind.

it wanting to be on the latest security patch but it is still hard sometimes to get a patch out in 2 weeks. because the patch comes out on the 1st usually from Google and everyone seems to expect all manufacturers oems to have their updates ready in two weeks. and have it out that month. only manufacturer that seem to be fast during updates with Sony I had a Sony xz-2 and I was getting monthly security updates on or around the 15th of each month.

I do give them the benefit of the doubt because their new phones are getting the bimonthly I do think they're a little behind because of what the poster said beforethat maybe they're dealing with stuff and they'll get the updates out as soon as possible. I am sorry that your phone is on November security patch. I am sure that they will get the newer patch out as soon as possible.

6. Grilled_Trout
    Gingerbread Feb 7, 2020

Ah.. then your phone is not even due for an update this month, but due next month. That explains why you are currently at December security patch level.

I have said as much as I wanted, so more argument coming from me would just be repeating myself, so I will stop here.

Given the current situation right now, however, I more than understand if any delays are unavoidable.

7. G1572469583021
    Gingerbread Feb 7, 2020

no I am due update T-Mobile had one plus work on a hotfix to fix some issues that was going on and then they're going to their normal scheduled updates. so I should still be doing update this month as well. because they don't want to get behind on all there different models or variance. so the international 7t and 7tpro including the McLaren's and the T-Mobile versions should also get an update this month. as well as I believe the seven pro. but I'd have to look at when the last update for that one was.

8. G1572469583021
    Gingerbread Feb 7, 2020

just point out I just looked it up, looks like the 7 pro was last update December 10th which means it's due for an update February 10th which should get it to January's security patch from November's. so similar with mine since mine is on December 8th I should be due around the same time for January is as well but we shall see otherwise my phone is working just great. have a good day I love when the community collaborate

9. Grilled_Trout
    Gingerbread Feb 7, 2020

How is 5G on TMo? I am itching to ditch Verizon but skeptical about TMo's network reliability in general.

They will get the updates out eventually. Phone is great. No bugs, no issues of any kind. Unfortunately, I do take security seriously, so it is a bummer in regards to the security patch level issue.

Arthur91220 likes this.
  10. G1572469583021
    Gingerbread Feb 7, 2020

to answer your question I switch to T-Mobile from AT&t.so kind of like your situation coming from Verizon AT&t is supposed to have better coverage than T-Mobile. but I've had about the same or better coverage than AT&t in my experience so far since I switched in October.

I only recently got the McLaren in December. I have had better service with the McLaren than my older phone that I had. 5G is a battery hog but when I do turn on I have it it is much faster I have at least seen 15 to 20% faster speeds in LTE. and the McLaren is an awesome phone. with the new update yesterday I actually went 30 hours with about 4 and 1/2 to 5 hours screen on time. so far I'm loving T-Mobile's service and they're cheaper so that's a plus.

Grilled_Trout likes this.
  11. I1581051762664
    Cupcake Feb 7, 2020

Arthur91220 likes this.
  12. Danielarr45
    Honeycomb Feb 7, 2020

Danielarr45 , via OnePlus 6 , Feb 7, 2020 :
    security updates should be pushed out in the same month Google release it. there's a reason Google releases security updates monthly, they have discovered the possibility of new threats

Grilled_Trout and Arthur91220 like this.
  13. casper956
    Cupcake Feb 7, 2020

casper956 , Feb 7, 2020 :
    I just bought the 7t of oneplus 2 weeks ago cause of the "good reputation" of the updates of oneplus, oneplus just prove lack of updates for this device, i should stayed with nokia, there i get more recent update with nokia 7 plus with the most recent update, now with 7t the security update is 3 months behind. I consider already to go back to Nokia and sell the 7T due to lack of update(s).

Grilled_Trout and Arthur91220 like this.
  14. Grilled_Trout
    Gingerbread Feb 8, 2020

Grilled_Trout , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Feb 8, 2020 :

G1572469583021

to answer your question I switch to T-Mobile from AT&t.so kind of like your situation coming from Verizon AT&t is supposed to have better coverage than T-Mobile. but I've had about the same or better coverage than AT&t in my experience so far since I switched in October.

I only recently got the McLaren in December. I have had better service with the McLaren than my older phone that I had. 5G is a battery hog but when I do turn on I have it it is much faster I have at least seen 15 to 20% faster speeds in LTE. and the McLaren is an awesome phone. with the new update yesterday I actually went 30 hours with about 4 and 1/2 to 5 hours screen on time. so far I'm loving T-Mobile's service and they're cheaper so that's a plus.​

I am glad to hear that. I used TMo way back around 2010 or so and the service was pretty subpar back then. I have been with Verizon ever since.

The 5G approach is different among carriers so I am interested to see how it all pans out. The Verizon approach to 5G doesn't give me much confidence due to limited range in which the 5G signal becomes really useable despite having really fast speed if one manages to get decent signal.

Thanks for your input. I don't want to derail the subject at hand further.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020

15. G1572469583021
    Gingerbread Feb 8, 2020

G1572469583021 , Feb 8, 2020 :
    Verizon seems to be the only one not using low-band 5g T-Mobile is usually low-band 600 megahertz of 5G and it's hoping to use mid-band 5G for better range the faster speeds as well as ultra wideband 5G give it as a layered cake at the bottom of the cake you have a low band 5G make sure you have mid-band and the top layer cake is the ultra White band. my experience so far is I get at least 20% more speed depending on where I am at. Right now I've had it off cuz I'm experimenting to see how it affects the battery. I can turn on anytime if I want faster speeds.

I honestly think that T-Mobile's approaches the best one because you get Nationwide coverage first and they can work on making it better as time goes on instead of touting that we have the best network but it's not really usable. leave Verizon with their supposedly we had the best 5G Network you do if you can use it but you kind of lose signal very rapidly cuz it's not really stable with ultra band.

Grilled_Trout likes this.
  16. W1581139379194
    Cupcake Feb 8, 2020

W1581139379194 , Feb 8, 2020 :
    Hello, my new just five days old 7T pro McLaren has the build 10.0.19.HD61CB and it is bundled with a security patch dated 1st December, due to this being more than 2 months old security patch, my work apps installed through InTune company portal would not open up, throwing an error related to old security patch as the reason. since I could not use my OnePlus 7T pro McLaren I had to buy another phone to support my work apps. Could OnePlus please provide latest security updates regularly? My telephone carrier T-Mobile says that OnePlus has to release the latest security patches for T-Mobile to push those to their customers timely. Please send the latest security updates so we can use our OnePlus devices.

F1573644182957 likes this.
  17. F1573644182957
    Cupcake Feb 8, 2020

18. Arthur91220
    Froyo Feb 9, 2020

Arthur91220 , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Feb 9, 2020 :
    Im not fine because no update on my Oneplus 7T Pro since november...

You sell an LCD TV(outdated technology)...

And now I learn that the Oneplus 8 will no longer have a retractable camera but again like the 6T / 7T a poor notch for the photo sensors, it's good to downgrade the technologies while explaining that it will be better for the 'final user...

This year I will voluntarily change rack and pinion, you have 4 smartphones to manage and you are of an execrable slowness, finished Oneplus for me.

Kaushik bandaru likes this.
  19. Kaushik bandaru
    Cupcake Feb 9, 2020

Kaushik bandaru , Feb 9, 2020 :
    u said bimonthly updates..but where is the update..we have received last update in November till now no update .your very much interested making people fool...samsung is 100%better than urs company...i mistakenly shifted from samsung.because if your OS.now samsung also better OS than...

Arthur91220 likes this.
  20. G1572469583021
    Gingerbread Feb 9, 2020

G1572469583021 , Feb 9, 2020 :
    the last update was in December 15th the next that they should be this 15th maybe we should wait until then to see if it we will get the updates like they Said.