Software Update Excitement Thread

1. Grilled_Trout
    Gingerbread Feb 14, 2020

Grilled_Trout , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Feb 14, 2020 :
    Since the newest beta that came out yesterday contains January security patch, I reckon it is going to be at least another 2 weeks before a stable update with January security patch level is officially released. That will effectively make our devices nearly, if not over, FOUR months behind in security patch level.

For a phone that is not even a year old yet, this is troubling. Very troubling sign. This kind of lackluster commitment to security jeopardizes all users who can be victimized randomly at any given time.

Our smartphones contain so much more than just a bunch of phone numbers. These devices contain so much of our personal information. For evil doers, it is now simply much better for them to hack into and attack our phones than our computers. This is some serious stuff.

I understand the situation with the Corona virus outbreak in China. It is unfortunate and hopefully it will disappear soon so that people can get back to their normal lives. However, I seriously doubt that the situation is so bad to a point where it would halt an entire company's operation. I just cannot see that.

If the situation is so terrible and out of control that delays are inevitable, please come out and say it to the user base. That way we know and would be more understanding. Not saying anything and releasing another beta with another outdated security patch, at a time well past due on the bi-monthly update schedule, is quite upsetting to me. May I remind you that the 7 series of phones are not even past the 1st year mark!

I am one of the lucky ones that have a well working second phone that I can swap into. I think I will do that now. I cannot possibly entertain the idea of storing all my sensitive personal data on a phone that is proving to be lackluster in security. I have been victimized in the past, so I know how terrible it is to be put into such situation, and I have very little faith that OnePlus is putting security seriously. Until then, this otherwise excellent phone will just be a simple media player with no personal data of importance.

Eslam.Elsagher and Arthur91220 like this.
  2. Arthur91220
    Froyo Feb 15, 2020

Arthur91220 , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Feb 15, 2020 :
    where is the update ?

3. G1572469583021
    Gingerbread Feb 15, 2020

G1572469583021 , Feb 15, 2020 :
    did you not get the update Thomas supposedly the 7t pro the OnePlus 7 and the OnePlus 7 pro have all thoughts in their updates and security patches to January level I'm assuming these 70 will get there as in about a week time because OnePlus is said that the coronavirus as had a unfortunate affect on the livelihood and workforce to getting updates out on a timely manner like they want. it will come out hopefully in the next week or so like they said. that hasn't gotten is the 7t. everything else has been updated.

4. Arthur91220
    Froyo Feb 15, 2020

5. G1572469583021
    Gingerbread Feb 15, 2020

G1572469583021 , Feb 15, 2020 :
    you know I would have believed you if you actually took the update and posted a picture of the update but it's going on in waves if you had the OnePlus 70 pro or the OnePlus 7 or 1 + 7 pro. You will get the update with January's security update. if you have a 1 + 7t you may have to wait a little bit longer

6. Arthur91220
    Froyo Feb 15, 2020

7. yashwant24
    Gingerbread Feb 17, 2020

yashwant24 , via OnePlus 6 , Feb 17, 2020 :
    the place occupied for retractable camera is more, we can add some useful components in that place, ergonomics is more important while building a device

Rishabh (Pulkit Baid) likes this.
  8. Arthur91220
    Froyo Feb 17, 2020

Arthur91220 , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Feb 17, 2020 :
    It is true what you say, the place occupied is less, however instead we will be entitled to a nice boil, I am not very fan personally having the Oneplus 7T Pro in the hands and the Samsung Galaxy S10 + next .

9. thomasmunich
    Froyo Feb 18, 2020

thomasmunich , Feb 18, 2020 :
    Why's it so hard to include the lasted Security patches in every update?
    I bought the brand-new OnePlus 7t back in October 2019 and did only get 1 Security patch so far (February 2020).

• Software patch released mid of December 2019 did not include December security patches (as you would expect) but November security patches.
    • No Software patch has been released December 2019 to February 2020
    I am loosing confidence more and more that OnePlus is able to proof commitments to emerge to a enterprise-class mobile provider.

10. Grilled_Trout
    Gingerbread Feb 18, 2020

Grilled_Trout , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Feb 18, 2020 :
    My biggest issue with OnePlus so far. I have no complaints with the hardware, and I certainly adore OxygenOS so much. Light and easy to navigate yet still full of useful features. Even though Samsung's OneUI improved leaps and bounds, their OS still suffers from being too overly complicated and pain to navigate through settings.

But, all these good things are ruined for me if I cannot trust the phone to be as secure as it can be. Being 3 months behind on security patch level at a point in time when the phone is less than one year old is simply unacceptable to me. Even though Samsung is horrible at updating Android to the newest version of the OS, they usually contain most of the newer features already before Google releases a new Android OS, and they do release security patches every month for the 1st two years in a relatively timely manner.

There is NO way that OnePlus phones can be sufficient enough to be enterprise-class devices. Not in the current state of things.

I signed up fully knowing the bi-monthly update schedule. That is at most half the workload that other OEMs provide for their customers. If that is so, it isn't unreasonable to expect the security patch level to be most up to date when the update gets released after having us wait 2 months for it to be released.

11. G1572469583021
    Gingerbread Feb 18, 2020

G1572469583021 , Feb 18, 2020 :
    well I'm on T-Mobile and I have the OnePlus 7t 5g McLaren. I'm about 2 months behind with December security update. I believe because the coronavirus is impacting their business I also believe that they may be waiting to do February security update since they have given general security update 2 the OnePlus 7 1 + 7 pro + 1 + 7t pro. leave somewhere on these forms I OnePlus employee had put down that it is taking some more time for the 7t cuz of the coronavirus. I wish people would be understanding since they did get the update out for their other 7 series phones there's a little behind give them some slack please. I love my 5G McLaren is working wonderfully after last two updates

thomasmunich likes this.
  12. thomasmunich
    Froyo Feb 19, 2020

thomasmunich , Feb 19, 2020 :
    Well, if they have trouble and delay based on the coronavirus they should communicate this right. I think everyone would understand. Simply not communicating does not establish any trust.

Update: Received the 10.0.8 update including the January Security fixes for my 7t today, at least some remediation. However Its past mid of February again - just saying...

13. G1572469583021
    Gingerbread Feb 19, 2020

G1572469583021 , Feb 19, 2020 :
    OnePlus is doing by monthly updates that means updates every two months so it's always been about a month behind so you should get February's update and or March in April. they never committed to giving updates every month they committed to giving updates every 2 months

14. Arthur91220
    Froyo Feb 19, 2020

Arthur91220 , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Feb 19, 2020 :
    At Oneplus they are used to ostrich politics ...

15. Grilled_Trout
    Gingerbread Feb 20, 2020

Grilled_Trout , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Feb 20, 2020 :
    Like I mentioned somewhere, if there was this dire hardship and emergency from this CoV-19, OnePlus should clearly communicate this publicly and officially so that people know for sure and can be more understanding. But I am sure they do not want to, either because 1) they don't want to create panic or 2) the situation is just not that bad. Either way, it is only a pure speculation at this point that the CoV-19 is impacting OnePlus' ability to put out the updates.

This criticism goes back even further than the start of this recent outbreak in China. The security patch level lagging behind is not new or recent.

I know I can just download this update via Oxygen Updater or XDA, but just for the sake of record keeping, I am gonna wait and see just exactly when the official OTA arrives and how many months my device was behind in security patch level at the time of OTA availability on my device.

Rishabh (Pulkit Baid) likes this.
  16. Grilled_Trout
    Gingerbread Feb 20, 2020

Well.. so... finally just got the update... with January security patch level.... which is 6 weeks old and 1 full month behind.

So let me get this straight... we now have to wait another 2 months, until late April I assume? By then, our phones will still be stuck at January security patch level which effectively puts us again with security patch level that is behind by THREE months. Then what? Be patched with another outdated security patch level at March?

This nonsense has got to stop. Seriously.

Uploading screen shot just for record keeping.
    1582209081890.jpg

1582209081935.jpg

bplesa likes this.
  17. bplesa
    Gingerbread Feb 20, 2020

bplesa , Feb 20, 2020 :

Grilled_Trout

Well.. so... finally just got the update... with January security patch level.... which is 6 weeks old and 1 full month behind.

So let me get this straight... we now have to wait another 2 months, until late April I assume? By then, our phones will still be stuck at January security patch level which effectively puts us again with security patch level that is behind by THREE months. Then what? Be patched with another outdated security patch level at March?

This nonsense has got to stop. Seriously.

Uploading screen shot just for record keeping.
    View attachment 1251382

p View attachment 1251381

Yeah, it is a bit of a joke. I am coming from a Nokia 7+ and I think I was a bit spoiled, getting the security patch updates in the month they were issued by Google.

Oh well, at least we still get them. My previous experience with OP (OPX) was worse than this. Got updates for a year and that was it.
    Edit:
    Not complaining, just doing a bit of maths: we get bimonthly updates 2 months old[e]1f601[/e]. Could this be their 'Never Settle' way?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020

18. G1572469583021
    Gingerbread Feb 20, 2020

G1572469583021 , Feb 20, 2020 :
    first off one yiu get the update you are only a month behind not three. and at least they are stable. I am coming from Sony which gave the up three weeks after it comes out from Google. OnePlus is doing what they said which is bi-monthly update schedule. and they are fulfilling that. maybe OnePlus will get better and be able to give updates in the month they are released. I had Sony and some times there where some bad bugs in monthly updates so I don't mind bi-monthly as long as they are doing a good amount of test to make sure it's stable

19. Grilled_Trout
    Gingerbread Feb 20, 2020

I am talking about right up until the update. For THREE WEEKS, my phone was THREE months behind in security patch level up until yesterday. Yeah sure, now I am only one month behind... but what about those THREE WEEKS that I was behind THREE MONTHS?

I made it clear I am okay with the bi-monthly schedule. But it is imperative to acknowledge that timing is very important. Your Sony may have released updates 3 weeks after Google, but did they at least deliver the current month's security patch? How often did they update their phones? Did they do it monthly?

I get it. You are willing to defend OnePlus at any cost because it seems as though they can do no wrong in your eyes. Fine. Go ahead and be happy. Just don't try to convince me or many others who are genuinely concerned and annoyed that our phones,. WHICH IS STILL NOT EVEN PAST THE ONE YEAR MARK, have problems with staying updated with critical security patch.

Bi-monthly schedule means AT MOST, HALF THE WORKLOAD, in comparison to many other OEMs who commit to monthly update schedule. By accepting that, we as customers have already given them enough slack. How hard is it for OnePlus to step up their game and at least put out security updates that are current and up to date, instead of outdated ones? Mind you, this is with the help of the customers, many of whom are effectively paying OnePlus to beta test their software every frocking month!

Enough is enough. For me, this phone, despite being such an excellent device on its own, cannot possibly be used reliably as a smartphone. I am NOT willing to take any chances with security, ESPECIALLY WITH A PHONE THAT IS NOT EVEN PAST ITS FIRST YEAR MARK.

Oh, and by the way, OnePlus...? This topic deserves to be in another section instead of "Off Topic." This stuff isn't off topic. It is a serious issue. Off Topic section would have been the last place I would have searched to find this thread. Put this thread where it truly belongs, and stop shutting down people who create threads voicing their displeasure with how the updates are being handled.

You wanna know why people keep creating new threads about this update issue? BECAUSE IT SURE AS HELL AIN'T OFF-TOPIC, that is why. See where your priorities lie? Replace the time you spend closing down threads with proper forum management, for starters.

20. G1572469583021
    Gingerbread Feb 20, 2020

G1572469583021 , Feb 20, 2020 :
    I don't defend them at all cost, Sony did give updates monthly in at the latest security update however there were quite a few bugs and I rather have bi-monthly updates and have a stable phone and being a month behind is not horrible.

you're 3 months behind argument is not really valid because it does take most opm's about 3 weeks to update their phones. would I like one plus to get to monthly updates and being on the most recent security update yes. but what I like a phone that is excellent for the price and just a good quality phone yes as well. I could have gone with Samsung who is now giving the pretty Good monthly updates but I still do not like there Android skin. I much prefer OnePlus has oxygen OS. I'm willing to bet that after they have some successful bimonthly scheduled that they might try and move to monthly. and they have met their bi-monthly schedule so far.
    you now have January security update and are only a month behind. That's not too bad which means in April you will have marches update.

understand your frustration as well I am too really likes Judy updates but if you wants to update so bad you should get a Google phone as they are the only ones that truly guaranteed monthly security updates. not even Samsung truly guarantees security updates though they do try and make it happen.