(Solved nicely) Power button malfunction -> RMA -> pay 220€!

1. jeanbc44
    Eclair Jan 7, 2016

jeanbc44 , Jan 7, 2016 :
    same but from 50cm, at least nothing happend except for the scratch....

I was so enthusiastic of OnePlus because I hate mainstream products, that was the main sell argument for me, but now everyone got one and the support quality is just utterly poor, so I am totally with you on that. This brand is done for me now.

Yes I know, I am working in KSA and UAE with 40DegC up and 100% humidity but the support just doenst bother about that, they just stick to the facts that the sensor triggered so its my fault done.

Shuller likes this.
  2. jeanbc44
    Eclair Jan 7, 2016

jeanbc44 , Jan 7, 2016 :
    UPDATE

DHL denied the claim since it is more that 30 days away because OnePlus was so lame doing the diag

OnePlus replied today :

"Thank you for getting in touch. We are terribly sorry for any inconvenience and for making you feel that way. It was not our intention.
    Since you do not want to proceed with the repair process, we will have to return the device to you but you will be liable for below costs:
    Pick-up fee EUR 25.00
    Shipping cost (for shipping back the device to the buyer) EUR 16.99
    Total EUR 41.99
    Please confirm if you would like to pay, so we can proceed. Thank you."

so what now?
    should I repair it or just send it back (since its working)?
    Anyway I will sell it for less than the repair....

cya

3. cezarvrabie
    Jelly Bean Jan 7, 2016

cezarvrabie , Jan 7, 2016 :
    So OP now wants money to give you the phone back? Man, I've seen some threads with how the warranty is and it made me not want to buy the OP2 anymore. I was literally decided to buy the phone in a couple of days, but this just turned me away. What a shady company.

4. jkb114
    Lollipop Jan 7, 2016

jkb114 , Jan 7, 2016 :
    This is the way all warenties work. When you send it off, it's assumed that it's under warrenty. if it isn't, it's chargable. Every company works the same, this is why mobile phone insurance exists

bahar_b likes this.
  5. ppod
    Jelly Bean Jan 7, 2016

ppod , Jan 7, 2016 :
    How old was the phone? remember in the UK you have legislation that protects your consumer rights.

Also remember you have the smalls claims court when all else fails.

jeanbc44 likes this.
  6. cezarvrabie
    Jelly Bean Jan 7, 2016

But still, the support that OP gives is so bad.

jeanbc44 likes this.
  7. jkb114
    Lollipop Jan 7, 2016

jkb114 , Jan 7, 2016 :
    They are really slow at replying, like really slow, but all their practices are "industry standard"

8. jeanbc44
    Eclair Jan 7, 2016

jeanbc44 , Jan 7, 2016 :
    ok than make a quotation about a broken power button and not a freaking screen and motherboard so basically the whole phone....

written in my signature, received the 05.09.14

still the amount of fairness in this situation is zero and this is the point, i'm not a guy trying to rip off some big @ss company but I had faith in the small OP but than they screw it up.
    BTW I bought for me+family 4 phonse and for friends over 30 pieces...

9. cezarvrabie
    Jelly Bean Jan 7, 2016

There was a guy who cracked the Lens on the back facing camera on his OP2 and it only needed replaced the back cover under the styleswap one. But guess what, OP told him that it needed the mobo replaced and asked him for 300 euros. It's just outrageous.

jeanbc44 likes this.
  10. jeanbc44
    Eclair Feb 20, 2016

jeanbc44 , Feb 20, 2016 :
    UPDATE
    I just received a brand new OPO wihtout any costs and only by waiting and not answering the OP emails...
    well at least I am happy now but is it the correct way to do business?
    leave it to you
    cya

area. likes this.
  11. jeanbc44
    Eclair Feb 20, 2016

jeanbc44 , Feb 20, 2016 :
    UPDATE
    I just received a brand new OPO wihtout any costs and only by waiting and not answering the OP emails...
    well at least I am happy now but is it the correct way to do business?
    leave it to you
    cya

12. mshahmoo
    Honeycomb Feb 20, 2016

mshahmoo , Feb 20, 2016 :
    This is an amazing result. Congratulations.
    I had something very similar and with the hero help of mods in this forum also got a replacement device.
    I think the main issue is that they asked you for a picture before you sent the device. If they saw in the picture that you had physical damage they should have told you before you sent it that there was no warranty. This is the unfair part in your story.
    Anyway, it's a great result for you!

13. area.
    Gingerbread Feb 20, 2016

area. , Feb 20, 2016 :
    Great result!
    Actually I've expected something like that. I've made a more or less similar (but not as bad as yours) experience with customer support and was compensated when the case reached a higher level in their hierarchy (thanks again, @Emmanuel !). That's why I haven't lost faith in the customer support and am confident they'll continue to advance.
    I truly believe the quality of their customer support already is above average.

By the way: Common practice or not, I don't think that you should be able to interpret the "not covered under warranty" notice as an excuse for not repairing another failure that is caused by manufacturing imperfections and therefore is covered - even when there are small damages the user was responsible for but also doesn't want them to be fixed.

14. aavion
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 20, 2016

aavion , Feb 20, 2016 :
    Easy explanation:

OnePlus doesn't do any repairs. They just send you a brand new (or as-new refurbished) device that is proofed to be in perfect condition.
    In case of an RMA they'll charge you every issue they find (excluding those covered by warranty) and send your device back to factory for refurbishing or recycling. That's the usual procedure for nearly all brands (even for Microsoft Surface devices).

15. script
    Nougat Moderator Feb 20, 2016

script , Feb 20, 2016 :
    Hi,

As OnePlus provided a very good solution for you I edited the thread title a bit. Please p.m. me if you want to.

Greetings, script

area. and SoniaB like this.
  16. Luke-S
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 20, 2016

Luke-S , Feb 20, 2016 :
    Lol, If my phone does break (I hope it doesn't) I live in the uk and I'd go down and collect it myself. But really their support is quite good when you consider how overloaded they are. I got a reply within 2 hours when I did have to contact them.

TheOneplusXEater likes this.
  17. jkb114
    Lollipop Feb 20, 2016

jkb114 , Feb 20, 2016 :
    I would seriously suggest some form of insurance. Most of the packaged bank accounts include it

Luke-S likes this.
  18. MDavidL
    Cupcake May 2, 2016

MDavidL , May 2, 2016 :
    Hey Guys, the power button of my OPO is not working; no reaction for short / long press, no wake up and sleep, no power menu I can only use double tap. Can you suggest me somethingt to solve it because now I am affrid of runing out of battery and can turn it on. Thanks in advance! Cheers, David