Sony PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: What's Your Pick?

?

What's your pick?

1. PS5 Standard Edition

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. PS5 Digital Edition

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. Xbox Series X

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Xbox Series S

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. razzor228
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Sep 23, 2020

razzor228 , Sep 23, 2020 :
    Console Thread-1.jpg

It’s that time of the year when all gamers rejoice. With the launch of the latest generation of consoles and graphics cards, we have a lot to be excited for. This holiday season, whether you’re a Console or PC Enthusiast, you should have something to look forward to. Even though AMD is yet to release their new GPU series, it's safe to assume they will stir up the graphics market, but how will the Radeon GPU’s compare to the Nvidia GPU’s is something we'll only know in about a month.

The Console War has been going on for more than two decades now and it doesn’t look it’s gonna end anytime soon. Sony and Microsoft recently announced their latest generation of consoles and looking at the spec sheet they both look promising.

I have been waiting for quite some time to get this thread up, but since the pricing for both the consoles wasn't up yet, I decided to wait a bit longer. Xbox announced the pricing for the Xbox Series X and Series S quite a while ago. But since Sony decided to play hardball, we had to wait a bit longer for that apples to apples comparison.

Now that the cat's out of the bag, we can finally compare the two.

For those of you that might not be up to date, let's have a recap on both these consoles - Shall we?

Playstation 5

ps5_digitial_edition_hardware.0.jpg

The much-awaited PS5 is finally here after months of speculation. By the looks of it, the PS5 underwent changes as big on the inside as the ones it did on the outside. On the hardware side, the PS5 comes with a custom third-gen (Zen 2 based) AMD Ryzen CPU which packs a sweet 8 cores and 16 threads running at 3.5GHz variable clock speed.

As for the GPU, this is also a custom-built RDNA 2 GPU based on the Navi platform by AMD (the same one that will see a PC debut at end of October), running at a variable clock speed of 2.23GHz (10.3 TFLOPS) with 36 compute units.

For the memory, Sony has opted for 16GB of GDDR6 with a bandwidth of 448GB/s.

Also, this is something some of you might be unaware, but the PS5 does support hardware-accelerated Ray-Tracing, something that usually associated to Nvidia GPUs until now. Contrary to the popular belief AMD GPUs do support Ray-Tracing and in some even outperforming their Nvidia counterparts. Gone are the days when you needed an expensive rig to enjoy the luxuries of Ray-Tracing and other such performance-enhancing technologies.

The one thing that came as a shocker to many was Sony's announcement that the PS5 can support screen resolutions of up to 8K (🤯🤯🤯). For context, Nvidia recently launched the RTX 3090 which is claimed to be first gaming GPU to run 8K at 60fps. And, here’s the shocking news, it costs a whopping $1,499. So, it’s established that the PS5 can give the latest GPU offerings a run for its money with the performance it promises. But that’s not just it, the PS5 can also handle refresh rates of up to 120Hz which is another achievement in itself for something that comes in such a small factor and is priced so reasonably.

With SSDs finally becoming affordable, Sony and Microsoft finally decided to include them in their consoles. Like everything else, Sony opted for a custom-built Solid State Drive with up to 825GB of storage for all your games with an insane raw bandwidth of 5.5GB/s Read speeds.

Along with the console, Sony also refreshed the DualShock Controllers with the new ‘DualSense Controllers’ that offer haptic feedback instead of the annoying rumble vibration on the DualShock. Sony also introduced something called ‘Adaptive Triggers’ to the trigger buttons (L2/R2), claiming these new triggers will offer varying levels of resistance to simulate various gameplay actions/movements more accurately.

The PS5 comes in 2 different models - Digital Edition and the Standard Edition, with the only differentiating factor being the optical drive.

Xbox Series X

xboxlaunched.jpg
    Well, the Xbox is no slouch either when compared to the PS5.

It also features the same custom third-gen (Zen 2 based) AMD Ryzen CPU 8 cores and 16 threads running at 3.8GHz clock speed, 300MHz faster than the PS5.
    As for the GPU, this is also a custom-built RDNA 2 GPU based on the Navi Platform by AMD, running at a much lower locked speed of 1.825 GHz (12 TFLOPS) with 52 compute units. Although it may look like the Xbox Series X has a weaker GPU, that’s not the case. The lower clock speed is more than compensated by the 52 compute units, a 44% increase over the PS5, which explains the 1.7TFLOPS of extra performance.

For the memory, Microsoft has gone for the same 16GB of GDDR6 configuration as the one found on the PS5. In respect to storage, the Xbox Series X comes with a custom 1 TB NVMe SSD which is a bit slower than the one fitted in the PS5.

Since Microsoft has chosen to opt for for a higher locked speed of 3.8GHz it is much likely that the Xbox Series X will perform better than the PS5 when under serious load. While these are just speculations based on the spec sheet, real-life performance may vary based on thermal performance and other variables.

The new comes in 2 different models - Xbox Series X and the more affordable Digital-only Xbox Series S. The Xbox Series S is a stripped-down version of the Xbox Series S and is less powerful. While Sony only ditched the optical drive for the Digital Edition of the PS5, Microsoft made some pretty serious changes to the Xbox Series S to make it quite affordable and appealing to the mass market. As such, while the Xbox Series X is meant to runs games at 4K up to 120 FPS, the Xbox Series is aimed at those that plan to game at 1080p or 1440p.

ps5 vs xbox x.png

ps5 vs xbox s.png
    So which one will you choose?

The PS5 Digital Edition looks quite promising for just $100 over the Series S since Sony decided to keep most of the internal hardware same. While prices for most regions are out, here in India there is too much uncertainty about the PS5 prices. Microsoft already announced the price of the Xbox Series S and X at Rs. 34,990 and Rs. 49,990 respectively. Now Sony just has to price them competitively to expect good sales.

Sony Playstation 5 Pricing
    • PS5 Standard Edition Pricing: $499.99 / ~ Rs 40,000 / £449.99 / € 499.99
    • PS5 Digital Edition Pricing: $399.99 / ~ Rs 30,000 / £359.99 / €399.99

Microsoft Xbox Pricing
    • Xbox Series X Pricing: $499.99 / Rs 49,990 / £449.99 / €499.99
    • Xbox Series S Pricing: $299.99 / Rs 34,990 / £249.99 / €299.99

So, let me know in the comments below: How are they priced in your region and what do you think of them? Are you in the market for a new console and, if so, which one will you opt for and why?

And, with Ryzen Zen 3 and AMD Navi launching next month, will you consider the prospect of owning a PC as opposed to a console if you had the choice to? Also, drop down the reasons why would you opt for one over the other.

---
    This is a Writers' Club thread. OnePlus is always looking forward to highlighting great content from its community. If you have an amazing idea for a new thread you'd like to share or have already written an engaging thread you feel like everyone would like to read, please use this form to let us know.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020

2. ishuuuuuuuuuuuuu
    Cupcake Sep 23, 2020

3. dharxhan
    Cupcake Sep 23, 2020

4. AbhilashSaikia
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Sep 23, 2020

5. nosvasedis
    Froyo Sep 23, 2020

6. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Sep 23, 2020

dsmonteiro , Sep 23, 2020 :
    Funny that you should mention Zen3 and AMD Navi.

I'm part of team PCMASTERRACE, and I'm currently waiting for AMD's announcements before deciding whether I get the RTX 3070 or something else from team red. I'll also be looking for a CPU upgrade in the future but I hope I can wait until there's the next big platform leap (with DDR5).

That's not to say I'm not excited with this new gen of consoles. The PS5 and the Xbox Series X are more similar to PCs than ever before and that is ultimately a great thing for all gamers, as the entire ecosystem ends up evolving much faster. Exciting shopping days ahead. :D

7. Rajnish_Dhull
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 23, 2020

finn053, Clenche, MAXYMOK and 11 others like this.
  8. IcarXd
    Cupcake Sep 23, 2020

9. mayursk
    Froyo Sep 23, 2020

10. razzor228

Sure! Just tell me which one you like, I'll have the console and the invoice shipped to you! :p

12. Pradeep Singh
    Froyo Sep 23, 2020

finn053, R1596983846847 and G_plusone like this.
  14. Swatiranjan
    KitKat Sep 23, 2020

15. razzor228

PCMR Forever!:D:D

No love lost for consoles though! Still a preferred choice for when gaming on the couch.

[​IMG]

16. JKrishnanM
    Cupcake Sep 23, 2020

finn053, R1596983846847 and razzor228 like this.
  17. Oreo2201

finn053, G_plusone and razzor228 like this.
  18. razzor228

Thanks! I am glad you like it!

19. pasamuel
    Cupcake Sep 23, 2020

20. razzor228

Thanks for the love Wormies! :D:D