OxygenOS Stable Root process for OnePlus 9 Pro

1. olce
    Cupcake May 17, 2021

olce , May 17, 2021 :
    Hi,

is there already a "community tested and accepted" stable process to root the OnePlus 9 Pro?
    I've seen some processes online, but they each seem to differ a little bit.
    Some talk about using TWRP, but I also noticed there has been no officials TWRP build since the OP 8?
    I'm a long time OP user (OP1, OP3, OP6t), but I've always used TWRP, so doing this without TWRP is new to me, so it would be nice to know some experiences from the OP community.

So far I found this as a summary :

Process to root ?

Preparations :
    - Download latest Magisk (https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases)
    - Install Magisk apk (via adb ?)

Step 1: Enable developer on the OP9pro and enable OEM Unlocking
    Step 2: Unlock Bootloader ("fastboot flashing unlock")
    Step 3: Download Stock Firmware (go to https://www.oneplus.in/support/softwareupgrade and select OnePlus 9 Pro)
    Step 4: Extract boot.img File from Firmware (https://www.droidwin.com/extract-stock-boot-img-oneplus-oxygenos-stock-rom/) and copy to the download folder on the OP9pro
    Step 5: Patch boot.img File via Magisk and download it back to your PC
    Step 6: Boot into Fastboot Mode
    Step 7: Root OP9Pro by Flashing the Patched File from your PC
    Step 8: Reboot OP9Pro

Process for OTA updates after root ?

Step 1: Disable all Magisk Modules and reboot device.
    Step 2: Download the full (latest) package via Oxygen Updater app (or from https://www.oneplus.in/support/softwareupgrade and select OnePlus 9 Pro )
    Step 3: Install it via Local Upgrade.
    Step 4: DO NOT REBOOT (!?) (this seems to be important to prevent major issues?)
    Step 5: Go into Magisk and choose "Install to inactive slot"
    Step 6: Now reboot

Anyone who has gone through these processes already with or without issues?

X1597753329219 and mikeyg86 like this.
  2. bokkoman
    Gingerbread May 17, 2021

bokkoman , May 17, 2021 :
    I suggest to get a rooted boot.img from XDA and boot with that without flashing it. Then within Magisk Manager flash the current boot.img (Direct install) and reboot.

This is the safest way, because you won't corrupt your current boot when you download a bad one.
    Magisk Manager has build in safety precautions.

If the rooted boot.img you download is corrupt when you boot it, you can just reboot and everything is back to normal.

Q1636463633287 and olce like this.
  3. olce
    Cupcake May 18, 2021

olce , May 18, 2021 :
    Does the "temporary" boot image need to be rooted for this process?

4. bokkoman
    Gingerbread May 22, 2021

bokkoman , May 22, 2021 :
    Yes it does. It is just a bit saver then extracting the image of a (corrupt) downloaded full image.
    Plus you only have to download a small boot.img.

The updating part is like you said. I don't believe you have to disable modules, unless you have game changing ones like xposed maybe.
    You can regular update or local update, just don't reboot after the update. Install magisk to inactive slot first. Then reboot.

5. Steps Parku (DJ STEPS)
    Honeycomb Jun 14, 2021

Steps Parku (DJ STEPS) , Jun 14, 2021 :

This Works Perfectly. hence make sure boot.img is extracted from your current running Os. i am a simplified tutorial for this.

olce likes this.
  6. Onapami
    Cupcake Jan 27, 2022

Onapami , Jan 27, 2022 :
    Hey!
    Just logged in to say thank you for your short and concise description on exactly what to command to used with regards to unlocking the bootloader. I had tried a lot of things for over 3 hours; I've been having issues with my pc not recognising the phone when adding the fastboot devices command. I had updated every conceivable driver and then tried again the fastboot devices command, to no avail. I decided to nonetheless proceed without the fastboot devices confirmation: by using the command adb reboot bootloader and then finally adding your fastboot flashing unlock command. Finally, bootloader unlocked!

Cheers

7. tosh30
    Cupcake Feb 12, 2022

tosh30 , Feb 12, 2022 :
    Thanks for posting this. Prior to OnePlus ownership, I used to root all of my Samsung devices. Question - In the opinion of those who have rooted their OnePlus phone, is it worth rooting a OnePlus? What do you do to get OS updates? What drawbacks?