Standby screen (touches) battery drain (pocket/baggy), anyone else (ideas on tracking, too?)?

1. pgrey Honeycomb Jun 15, 2019

pgrey, Jun 15, 2019 :
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hmm, so I have something "odd" going on here, which I thought might be an "anomaly" initially, but now I'm starting to go, "hmm, that doesn't seem right...".

The scenario is something like this, and I've seen it 4 times now, since the 9.5.7 update (which is when it got "really apparent").
    - charge to 100%, and get ready for a 2-3 hour road-ride (cycling).
    - put the phone in a thick (6-8mil) plastic ziploc, to protect it, from sweat, rain, dirt, etc.
    - put the phone in my jersey pocket, and go ride for 2-4 hours
    - get home, having maybe looked at the screen for a minute or two (perhaps a weather-check or a route-check, or two, en-route), and observe the battery graph (attached).

Note, that at this point, the phone has a pretty size-able "dip", around 10%+, for that time period, and almost no app usage, maybe 1% for "Messages", or similar.
    Switch to the "system usage", and you notice that the screen has pretty high use, the highest, even tough it was NEVER ON, or only on for a minute or two, it register 1+ hours of "screen time".

I think it's the double-tap, which I've used for YEARS now, across many phones (including a OP 5T and 6, all which went through the same scenario), which is somehow activating/de-activating the screen, MANY times, while it's in my jersey pocket.

What I can't decide, is how I'm going to "report this". It's tricky, because I can't just collect logs from 2-4 hours of pedaling, they'd be GIANT.
    I might start by just attaching my battery graph, and see where things go, from there, with the "bug hunter" group, which I've worked with before (logs back/forth, for other issues).
    I'm open to ideas though, thoughts, clever ways to track the "screen issue" without ending up with say 80GB of logs or something...

I can describe the "repro scenario" pretty readily, but I'm not so sure it'll sound "compelling", in the bug report?
    It's obviously very irritating, as I depend on my phone somewhat, say if I'm off on a 100mi ride, I don't want to pull it out, to use a map, or make a call, to find my battery (on a basically un-used phone) is down to 15% or something (it REALLY drains fast, per the attached graph, in this mode).

I'm 1000% open to ideas, on how to log this, more discretely (more focused)?
    Thanks.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019

TomekDarda likes this.
  2. B_Wrath Marshmallow Jun 15, 2019

B_Wrath, Jun 15, 2019 :
    Apps like tap counter must work. But I'm not sure they work with latest android devices.

3. TomekDarda Froyo Jun 15, 2019

TomekDarda, Jun 15, 2019 :
    Two things come into play as I got quite a bit of a similar battery drain riding a bike as well: 1. lack of a pocket mode might keep waking the phone (hope they add it, reported several times) 2. riding a bike involves moving from one cell tower to another and usually having weaker signal therefore the antennae use fairly bit more battery.

4. pgrey Honeycomb Jun 15, 2019

pgrey, Jun 15, 2019 :
    Yeah, @TomekDarda I'm with you, on the "tower factor", but this wasn't (much of) an issue with my 5T or 6, it's only the 7Pro, that's got this "drastic drop", and 1+ hour of SOT, when it's nowhere NEAR that, right?

I bet it would happen if I turned off ALL my radios, even. I might try that, today, sort of go "silent" when pedaling for a couple of hours, how much can go awry at home, anyway ;-]

On my 5T and 6, I turned-off the darn pocket-mode, anyway, because it would get "totally hosed' in a ziploc, in that mode. I was lucky to get it to turn-on, much last stay-on, say if I pulled it out in the rain, and tried to use it, in the ziploc, it would almost always "handily" turned itself back of, over-and-over-and... ;-]
    But maybe it's a proximity/tap issue, combined, anything is possible here. I'm just trying to figure out how to repro/report it, without gigantic logs...

@B_Wrath Good tip, thanks, I'll check that one out, and see if it's got access to count taps, on Pie...

Apologies on the pics, still not sure what I'm doing wrong there, tried the screenshots "full-size" at about 300 or so, and then used a reducer, making them about 30k/ea, and they still don't seem to be uploading...

Trying again, downloaded, re-sized, and re-uploaded, perhaps this will work, I was trying to upload the small pics from my PC, which clearly didn't.
    I post pics ALL the time, in other forums, the OP forums are "special" like this, ugh. ;-]
    Does anyone see the pics?
    I tried uploading them direct (both big/very-reduced sizes), and sharing them on GDrive, both sizes, I'm lost. Why the heck don't they have a standard "File" selection here???

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. pgrey Honeycomb Jun 15, 2019

pgrey, Jun 15, 2019 :
    @B_Wrath Hmm, I tried "Tap Counter" (Kantan apps), and "Touch Counter" (SFApps), but neither records "screen locked taps".
    The first one only records taps when "in focus", so it's really not so useful; the 2nd records taps when it's not in-focus, which is better, but doesn't cover my scenario...
    Any ideas, on what permissions (already enabled everything that the app "asked for", which wasn't much) or optimizations might allow this to work in StandBy? I suppose I could "fiddle around", but I figure maybe someone's done this before, and my changes could be "targeted", instead (or I'm just being lazy... :oops:)
    I could see why you'd want to "optimize out" this type of app, in general, except in my "special case" ;-]

Thanks, for the responses so far, I'm "motivated" to figure this darn thing out.
    I bet I could get a "relatively small slice of logs" too, potentially, just by putting it in a ziploc, and randomly tapping the screen some, to "simulate" it sitting in my jersey pocket, bouncing around and creating "random touches", maybe...

6. pgrey Honeycomb Jun 15, 2019

pgrey, Jun 15, 2019 :
    Pics, finally, I opened my OP Forums app, for the first time ever, on one of my OP devices.
    It shouldn't be this hard though, why doesn't posting a file link work, if the URL field accepts it, and the decorated code "looks good", in BB editor?

Anyway, this "gets the idea across" particularly the 2nd screenshot, which shows the "screen use" when the phone was completely idle, in my pocket/ziploc...

1560631738843.jpg

1560631738879.jpg

7. pgrey Honeycomb Jun 16, 2019

pgrey, Jun 16, 2019 :
    Update, new test iteration today:
    I Disabled double-tap-to-wake, before riding today, and the problem did not present, at all.
    I guess it's only a sample-size of 4 (since 9.5.7 installed), but 3 of those had the issue, and had double-tap enabled, whereas the 1/4, from today, it was disabled, and no issue.

I filed a bug, with some basic info and repro steps, and I'll add this info as well, about the single non-repro, with double-tap disabled.

8. pgrey Honeycomb Jun 20, 2019