Step by step guide to flash TWRP & install LineageOS (no root required)

?

Does this guide work?

1. Yes

82.6%
  2. No

9.4%
  3. No, but I know why and i'm gonna tell you!

8.0%
  1. Habib.khan316
    Honeycomb Mar 7, 2017

Habib.khan316 , Mar 7, 2017 :
    Please point out the rule I've gone against

2. wilsmits
    Jelly Bean Mar 7, 2017

wilsmits , Mar 7, 2017 :
    Your wasting your time with this discussion my friend. You better focus on the good work you already doing for the forum. You will receive likes for your actions and help. Not by begging because that's sort of cheating yes :)
    Keep up the good work m8!!!!

gusuraman and Habib.khan316 like this.
  3. Habib.khan316
    Honeycomb Mar 7, 2017

Habib.khan316 , Mar 7, 2017 :
    Naa man that ain't my point. First of all I wasn't 'begging', that's kinda harsh word to be using. I just let the dude know if he wishes, he may...

I apologize for going a bit off-topic guys!

But yea I'd like to see what rule I've gone against @gusuraman @SoniaB

ibrahim52 and wilsmits like this.
  4. gusuraman
    Community Veteran Mar 7, 2017

gusuraman , Mar 7, 2017 :
    As I said before you have a personal gain from the likes which partially falls under advertising rules.
    Also if we allow likes farming we would have lots of threads which purpose is to gain likes or posts to ask likes out of the blue (which already happened in the past). And these kind of threads/posts add nothing to the community other than being spam.

As @wilsmits well said, if users want to like your posts they will do it for the content, not because you ask for it.

There isn't a specific rule address likes farming, but you can't expect the rules explicitly cover any possible case. Common sense should always come first.

But since you insist :
    Through likes farming one can obtain a personal gain (raffle points) so, since there absolutely nothing constructive in farming likes and to avoid abuse, it's forbidden in any form.

I'm sure you can still enjoy and contribute here without like farming.

If you have further questions feel free to pm me. Now let's go back to the topic

5. Habib.khan316
    Honeycomb Mar 8, 2017

Habib.khan316 , Mar 8, 2017 :
    @gusuraman @SoniaB

It can be considered like-farming if I was asking anyone and everyone to just like my thread for no apparent reason.

I specifically replied to the member after he said he used my guide (and others) to solve his issue so merely as a suggestion to my contribution, I have the right to ask him to like my post if he wishes. I didn't 'Compel' him to as @SoniaB put it.

When you mods come and start picking every little detail, its more like you guys are 'like-farming' and abusing your power. When clearly the intend wasn't what was claimed.

With that being said, you mods should be concentrated on the more serious forum rules and stop abusing your power for such little coincidence!

6. gusuraman
    Community Veteran Mar 8, 2017

gusuraman , Mar 8, 2017 :
    You're right, so please stop going offtopic and stop concentrating on these non serious things.
    Don't abuse of our leniency if you don't want incur in more severe actions than an heads up.

This is your own thread and you are derailing it. This makes no sense at all to me.
    We are discussing this in pm, but still you are here arguing publicly.
    You complain that we call you on the rules publicly, because you don't want to shamed publicly, and still you are here pushing the argument.

With all due respect, I don't see your good will in this community. You seem more interested to fight with mods rather than contributing.

So, any further offtopic post you may post here will be deleted and warned accordingly. Same for any post asking for likes.

7. SoulzZ
    Cupcake Mar 8, 2017

SoulzZ , Mar 8, 2017 :
    I am completely new to flashing phones, I want to update my old OPO to nougat. is there like any video tutorial, I don't wanna rely on random youtube videos.

Thank you.

8. Master_TC
    Jelly Bean Mar 8, 2017

Master_TC , Mar 8, 2017 :
    Sorry i´m on wrong section..

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017

Habib.khan316 likes this.
  9. SoulzZ
    Cupcake Mar 8, 2017

SoulzZ , Mar 8, 2017 :
    This is the section for OPO, or is it not :confused:?

10. Master_TC
    Jelly Bean Mar 8, 2017

Master_TC , Mar 8, 2017 :
    Sorry i´m on wrong section.. :eek::(:(

11. Habib.khan316
    Honeycomb Mar 8, 2017

Habib.khan316 , Mar 8, 2017 :
    Hey,

Just to clarify @Master_TC , this thread is under OPO, but can also be used for other OnePlus devices too.

@SoulzZ check out post #11. I posted a link there that follows similar steps I used.

Have a read of the thread and if you don't understand any part, feel free to ask.

wilsmits likes this.
  12. Michael86
    Donut Mar 9, 2017

Michael86 , Mar 9, 2017 :
    Hey,

after 4 1/2 hours I managed to install Lineage (but only lineage-14.1-20170206-nightly-bacon-signed).
    But now I have a huge problem flashing the stock GApps (open_gapps-arm-7.1-stock-20170308). Everytime I try (after "advanced wiping" Dalvik, system, data and cache) flashing these version of GApps I get "Error Code: 70" ("Insufficent storage space available in System partition. You may want to use a smaller Open GApps package or consider removing some apps using gapps-config. See: '/sdcard/open_gapps_log.txt' for complete details and information.")
    My OPO has nearly no data on it. There are more than 50GB free space.
    I followed all your steps as written in the guide.

Can anybody help me or has a clue how to handle this ****?

Thanks.

13. Habib.khan316
    Honeycomb Mar 9, 2017

Habib.khan316 , Mar 9, 2017 :
    Hey @Michael86 ,

Basically, your ROM and GApps are installed in the system partition. The system partition is a separate, fixed-size, stand-alone partition of storage that varies in size by device. Read FAQ #11 for a detailed explanation and alternative options

Did you try to install a smaller GApps package? Try the pico instead? And then you can manually download all the other apps from play store. Here's a link for a comparison between the different variants:

https://github.com/opengapps/opengapps/wiki/Package-Comparison

There is a way to increase your system partition but it can be a pretty tedious process. I've never had to do it so I'm not the best person to guide you on that.

Let us know if you've got it figured out :)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017

Jost Schwider, Aqma and Michael86 like this.
  14. tomx2
    Donut Mar 9, 2017

tomx2 , Mar 9, 2017 :
    @page { margin: 0.79in } p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120% } a:link { so-language: zxx }
    Hi Habib.

I am relatively new performing Flashing Roms so please bear with me.
    You steps are very well documented. Even for a newbie as myself.
    Since Cyanogenmod has discontinued, I am looking for a new OS to flash on my One Plus One phone. I’ve decided to use LineageOS.

I have a few questions before I begin your steps.

I will be backing up my Contacts, MP3 tracks and Photos manually.
    However I do have a couple of apps incl: Tunein radio having over 50 favorites, I’d like not manually redo
    (Q) If I enter the “adb backup” command, will that cmd save all my apps and data? My phone is not rooted.

On Twrp.me exist the latest Twrp file as of 02/17/2017.
    (Q) Should I use that Twrp recovery instead of the linked one here? Does it matter?
    I am running Cyanogenmod 13.1.2 ZNH2KAS3P0-bacon Android 6.1. If it makes a difference.

Another poster recommended skipping step9D (fastboot reboot), due to some users having problems getting the stock recovery and not Twrp.
    (Q) Can I turn-off my phone w/o doing fastboot reboot and get the Twrp recovery?

(Q) When you selected Wipe, did you exclude internal storage, usb otg?

(Q) When you moved the LineageOS and Gapps apps to your device, were they copied to the internal storage folder or does it make a difference?

Thanks.
    TC.

15. Michael86
    Donut Mar 9, 2017

Michael86 , Mar 9, 2017 :
    Hey Habib,

as you wrote it worked with a smaller version of GApps (I took "open_gapps-arm-7.1-mini-20170308.zip") but I had to disable the option checking the zip signature.

Thanks for your help!
    Meanwhile I updated to the latest version of Lineage (OTA, nightly from 06.03.2017) and everything is working well.

puppy_style and Habib.khan316 like this.
  16. ster800
    Donut Mar 10, 2017

ster800 , Mar 10, 2017 :
    Hi, I had the same problem and just went with a smaller option.

Michael86 and Habib.khan316 like this.
  17. Habib.khan316
    Honeycomb Mar 10, 2017

Habib.khan316 , Mar 10, 2017 :
    Hey @tomx2,

Thanks for the feedback:) and sorry for the late reply, been a little busy lately.
    When I move to a new ROM, i prefer starting 'fresh' so that I don't bring any of the errors or corrupt files from previous builds. That being said brings us to your first question.
    I will try to answer all your questions below:

My preferred way of backing up is I use different cloud storages. Even if my phone crashed out of the blue, I am not worried since all my stuff is backed up. Eg. My gallery is fully auto backed-up by Google Photos, my contacts are auto synced with my google account, my apps are synced with Google Play. So after I flash a new ROM, once i sign into my google accounts, it automatically downloads all the apps I have previously downloaded using the Play Store and my contacts are synced back.
    This gives me the freedom to mess up and not have to worry about a backup.

The adb backup option can be bit confusing if you're new to all this but there are plenty of articles and guides on that if you wish to do it that way.
    Ive not used this method to do backups so i'm not the best person to guide you on that.

The problem/good thing is when you restore from a full system backup, you end up going back to the exact state your phone was in when you did the backup. This can be useful if something terrible goes wrong and you can go back to a state you know is stable.

If your phone was rooted, id suggest you to use Titanium backup. You can choose all the apps and data from your phone you wish to backup and restore at a later date, even on a different OS.

It is recommended to use the latest. The official releases of TWRP recovery for the OPO can be found here:
    https://dl.twrp.me/bacon/

Yes you can turn your phone off after STEP 9c. Keeping in mind you've followed and executed the previous steps properly, you will still have TWRP recovery.
    If for some reason when you try to go into TWRP recovery and notice that your back at your system recovery, then as @Spannaa had suggested in post #15, you should skip STEP 9d and go straight into STEP 10.

After I execute STEP 11c to completely format my device, I go back to TWRP recovery and click on Wipe>AdvanceWipe:
    ✓Dalvik / ART Cache
    ✓System
    ✓Data
    ✓Internal Storage
    ✓Cache
    ×USB-OTG

Whether you perform this step before or after STEP 11c doesn't make a big difference. Some users have faced Error 7 when trying to flash the new OS. In certain cases by taking this extra steps to wipe Dalvik and System Cache has solved that problem.

Yes they were copied to the internal storage

Hope I was able to clear your doubts! :D

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017

wilsmits likes this.
  18. wilsmits
    Jelly Bean Mar 10, 2017

wilsmits , Mar 10, 2017 :
    Great job again as usual :)

19. PSHATHAS
    Cupcake Mar 11, 2017

PSHATHAS , Mar 11, 2017 :
    PROBLEM WITH:STEP 6. Copy the file into the same folder as your adb and fastboot binaries. Rename the image to 'recovery'
    - ADB folder is usually located in your C drive. You will know its the right folder if it has the files named 'adb' & 'fastboot' in it.

There was no fasboot.exe in the: Universal Adb Driver folder. I had download it and add it in the folder http://www.devfiles.co/download/BFOZwOTB/fastboot-win32.zip

20. ibrahim52
    Gingerbread Mar 11, 2017

ibrahim52 , Mar 11, 2017 :
    Just a small query if I may.

1. Is there anyway TWRP can be secured, either by disabling the USB debugging or android encryption ?
    I am actually uncomfortable when TWRP gives full options to a person who has physical access to the phone, including MOUNT of partitions.

2. If I enable android encryption, I guess I wont be able to update future nightlies, is it ?

3. Should I go ahead and install the latest nightly, just wanted to check with users if the builds are stable enough to use it as daily driver.

wilsmits likes this.