Step by step guide to flash TWRP & install LineageOS (no root required)

?

Does this guide work?

1. Yes

82.6%
  2. No

9.4%
  3. No, but I know why and i'm gonna tell you!

8.0%
  1. Habib.khan316
    Honeycomb Mar 11, 2017

Habib.khan316 , Mar 11, 2017 :
    TWRP 3.1.0-0 Released
    Mar 10, 2017

This guide will teach you how to update an existing TWRP.

A1. Download the latest TWRP onto your device:
    OPO - https://dl.twrp.me/bacon/
    OPX - https://dl.twrp.me/onyx/
    OP2 - https://dl.twrp.me/oneplus2/
    OP3 - https://dl.twrp.me/oneplus3/
    OP3T - https://dl.twrp.me/oneplus3t/

A2. Enter TWRP mode (STEP 10)

A3. Click Install > Install Image
    -locate the image file you downloaded in step A1 and click on it

A4. Select Partition to Flash Image:
    ×Boot
    ✓Recovery

That's it! :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017

Mykson and wilsmits like this.
  2. wilsmits
    Jelly Bean Mar 12, 2017

wilsmits , Mar 12, 2017 :
    Looks so easy :)

Habib.khan316 likes this.
  3. Habib.khan316
    Honeycomb Mar 12, 2017

Habib.khan316 , Mar 12, 2017 :
    Hey @ibrahim52 ,

Here's TWRP's answer to that question:
    https://twrp.me/faq/securetwrp.html

There are alternate methods to password protect recovery, just by doing a google search you can find plenty of guides related to that.
    I have not done this my self, so won't be the best person to help you on that.

I'm not sure whether you will be able to update OTA with android encryption enabled. It would make sense if your device is smart enough to automatically decrypt the files before performing an update.

Here's a nice article regarding android encryption:
    http://joyofandroid.com/how-android-encryption-works/

I'm on the latest nightly (2017-3-06) and havnt faced any issues yet. If there are any issues with the build, I hope users will let us know or simply check other forums for the ROMs stability.

The order of build stability goes:
    1. Snapshot (most stable)
    2. Nightlies
    3. Experimental (least stable)

In most cases Nightlies can be used as daily drivers but I'd suggest to use multiple sources before making the decision.

I hope I was able to clear your doubts! :)

4. ibrahim52
    Gingerbread Mar 12, 2017

ibrahim52 , Mar 12, 2017 :
    Thank you Habib, I went through that link of TWRP many times which clearly states that there is no protection at all if in case the phone goes to wrong hands. The only way I guess is to encrypt the device but I have to check if the encryption lock screen comes first while booting to recovery mode because TWRP has a good but at the same time "risk to security" option i.e., Mounting of disk over usb.

5. wilsmits
    Jelly Bean Mar 12, 2017

wilsmits , Mar 12, 2017 :
    Keep us updated about your solutions :)

6. Endless8
    Cupcake Mar 14, 2017

7. mnautss
    Cupcake Mar 15, 2017

mnautss , Mar 15, 2017 :
    This post is regarding VoLTE in OPO.
    By any chance, does anybody here have any clue/lead how to enable it?
    I went after some rumors that LineageOS offered VoLTE functionality in OPO.
    I now have Lineage OS in my OPO which is I must say brilliant as of now, but still no VoLTE.
    It appears that I went after a hoax.
    Would be glad if anyone here could point me in the right direction.
    Thanks.

8. tomx2
    Donut Mar 16, 2017

tomx2 , Mar 16, 2017 :
    Hi Habib.

Thanks for your previous reply to my earlier (Q’s).
    Have another quickie.
    The site I will get the latest adb drivers 3.0, also offer an alternative to download adb with fastboot drivers labeled (15 seconds adb installer).
    I know you didn’t mentioned downloading fastboot drivers.

(Q) Do I need to install fastboot and ADB drivers together?

Thanks.
    TC.

9. Habib.khan316
    Honeycomb Mar 16, 2017

Habib.khan316 , Mar 16, 2017 :
    Yes that's right, you need both adb and fastboot drivers to execute the commands in step 9.

If I'm not mistaken, this guide could work even without the adb driver as the 3 main commands use fastboot (9b, 9c & 9d).
    9a is just to reboot your device into fastboot mode which can also be done by powering off your device and then holding VolumeUp+PowerButton.

10. Habib.khan316
    Honeycomb Mar 16, 2017

Habib.khan316 , Mar 16, 2017 :
    VoLTE can be achieved on the OPO as the facility was embedded since day 1, but its not enabled as default.

I did a bit of digging around and found that, as of now LineageOS doesn't support VoLTE

You will also need a sim card that supports VoLTE.

My sim supports LTE, but I'm not sure whether that means it will support VoLTE on the same sim once the feature is available?

Dial: *#*#4636#*#* and go to PhoneInformation to see the VoLTE option.

I enabled it and it did nothing.

11. puppy_style
    Froyo Mar 17, 2017

puppy_style , Mar 17, 2017 :
    Thanks for the comment. I had the same problem and this solution works for me.
    I update my old TWRP version to the last one, and then install Lineage Os with out problems. Befor the update I was getting an error in the installation, but after the update all works fine. Thanks community :grin:

12. bklyn000
    Gingerbread Mar 18, 2017

bklyn000 , Mar 18, 2017 :
    Thanks for the step by step instructions. I'm a newbie and don't know how to flash a ROM, I have OPO 6.0.1 n wanna get Nougat. I thought you had to get TWRP from the play store? I'm gonna try and follow your steps, it's so confusing when everyone has different answers as to how to flash, root, unlock bootloader, gApps, drivers, etc gets me nervous, I just want to update to a new ROM Nougat, either lineage OS or Resurrection. Thanks again.

wilsmits and Habib.khan316 like this.
  13. Habib.khan316
    Honeycomb Mar 18, 2017

Habib.khan316 , Mar 18, 2017 :
    Your phone needs to be rooted if you wanna flash twrp from the play store. I'm assuming your phone isn't rooted so just follow the steps above and you should be fine. Have a read throughout the forum too, might help understand better the problems others faced during flashing.

If you want to flash ressurection, just download the flashable image file for that ROM at step 11a instead of the lineageos ROM:

Let us know how it goes :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017

bklyn000 likes this.
  14. Durgesh_Reddiyar
    Cupcake Mar 18, 2017

15. bklyn000
    Gingerbread Mar 18, 2017

Question, while installing custom recovery TWRP, steps 4 & 5 , the ADB download and the OPO recovery, do I just install it on my phone or do I need to be connected to the computer? That TWRP YouTube video the guy talks too fast sorry, I know I'm asking silly questions, I just wanna do it correctly. Thanks

16. Habib.khan316
    Honeycomb Mar 18, 2017

Steps 4 to 9 are done on the PC.

@ Step 7 onwards your device needs to be connected to the PC

Some users have reported that fastboot.exe wasnt installed in the ADB folder. @PSHATHAS posted a solution to that on post #99:
    Hope i was able to clear your doubts :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017

17. bklyn000
    Gingerbread Mar 18, 2017

Thanks , I really appreciate your help. :)

18. ibrahim52
    Gingerbread Mar 18, 2017

ibrahim52 , Mar 18, 2017 :
    Responding you through new android 7.1 following the amazing and easy to understand steps posted by you. The only issue I faced was mounting phone drive after WIPE DATA in TWRP, because I was using windows 10 otherwise tried windows 7 and it mounted fine. Copied the os and gapps, it's smooth. Battery life is noticeably better. Proudly running the latest version of android, thank you for your steps, specially thanks to Lineage OS team to keep the legacy on and for including OPO first gen users to taste the sweet nougat coming so far.

19. bklyn000
    Gingerbread Mar 18, 2017

Ahhh ok I get it, from the play store ur phone needs root, ok thanks. Yeah it's better from the way you're doing it, it doesn't require root, Thanks again. I'm just preparing all these questions so when I get home I can install it, I'm still at work.

20. Habib.khan316
    Honeycomb Mar 18, 2017

Its advisable to clear your doubts before proceeding.

If you want to root your device, let me know and i'll provide you those steps too.

Let us know how it goes :)

bklyn000 likes this.