Step by step guide to flash TWRP & install LineageOS (no root required)

?

Does this guide work?

1. Yes

82.6%
  2. No

9.4%
  3. No, but I know why and i'm gonna tell you!

8.0%
  1. Habib.khan316
    Honeycomb Mar 18, 2017

Habib.khan316 , Mar 18, 2017 :
    Anyone else having issue with switching back to WiFi after using mobile data?

I can't turn WiFi back on after using mobile data. It works fine after restarting.

2. wilsmits
    Jelly Bean Mar 19, 2017

wilsmits , Mar 19, 2017 :
    Let us know your experience with it and the steps you did. I have the same feeling about this just like you described :)

bklyn000 and Habib.khan316 like this.
  3. philip.seguin
    Eclair Mar 19, 2017

philip.seguin , Mar 19, 2017 :
    This was my first time flashing and there were a few hiccups but I got through them.

The link to the ADB files wasn't the best for me. I had installed helium for backup and it loaded a bit different and did not include the adb/fastboot files. The link in the guide took me to the same adb download. I found a different one and then things went better.

The line in the guide to "copy the nightly to the device" had me scratching my head though as I couldn't see my phone on windows anymore (I was in TWRP). With a bit of research I ended up using adb sideloader for both the OS nightly and Gapps. I had to use the mini version of gapps because I ran out of space with the 7.1 stock version.

In the end I got there and now i'm just left with restoring sms stuff from sma backup, and app data from my Helium backup.

It sure looked nice when that Lineage half circle appeared on the reboot. :)

Thanks for the guide.

Habib.khan316 likes this.
  4. Habib.khan316
    Honeycomb Mar 19, 2017

Habib.khan316 , Mar 19, 2017 :
    Your device didn't show up as an external device on your computer when connected? I didn't include sideload in the guide because I was able to copy the images onto my device directly from my computer.

Some users have also reported that fastboot.exe wasn't installed in the adb folder. @PSHATHAS found a solution to that on post #99

All in all it's good to hear you've managed to get around your issues :D
    Thank you for the feedback :)

wilsmits likes this.
  5. wilsmits
    Jelly Bean Mar 20, 2017

wilsmits , Mar 20, 2017 :
    great guy's the more side options we here about that maybe might happen to us and the solutions/steps to take. The less scary the whole operation gets to New bees and noobs :)
    Gotta love this post......never ever settle :)

6. jtprieto
    Donut Mar 21, 2017

jtprieto , Mar 21, 2017 :

7. jtprieto
    Donut Mar 21, 2017

Hi there. My name is Jose from Mexico City. I have COS 13.1 ZNH2KAS3P0-bacon on my OnePlus One. My cell has never been root it and I want to do it now before to move to new Lineage OS.
    Would you mind to help me? What Am I have to do on my recent COS version?

8. wilsmits
    Jelly Bean Mar 21, 2017

wilsmits , Mar 21, 2017 :
    Check out page 1 don't even need rooting for it :)

9. Habib.khan316
    Honeycomb Mar 21, 2017

Habib.khan316 , Mar 21, 2017 :
    Hey Jose,

If you want to move to LineageOS with a clean install, you will loose root access if you root it before performing the steps given in this guide.

I'd suggest you follow the given steps in this thread to first flash LineageOS onto your device. Then root it it once you have flashed lineageos.

Rooting is as simple as flashing a new OS or flashing GApps. You just need download the flashable image on your device and install it through TWRP recovery (or other recovery).

I will give you the links and steps to root once I get back :)

Also have a read of this thread for the issues people have faced during flashing.

Let us know how it goes.

I'll get back to you ASAP about rooting :)

wilsmits likes this.
  10. jtprieto
    Donut Mar 21, 2017

Cool. Thanks. I will be able to work on this in a couple of days. I'll let you know what I find.

wilsmits and Habib.khan316 like this.
  11. Vinay chintu
    Cupcake Mar 21, 2017

Vinay chintu , Mar 21, 2017 :
    I really want to root my OnePlus 3 and have a custom ROM
    but I'm a little bit tensed. I'm not that familiar with this kind of stuff. please help me

12. Habib.khan316
    Honeycomb Mar 21, 2017

Habib.khan316 , Mar 21, 2017 :
    You can root your device after you've installed the custom ROM

wilsmits likes this.
  13. gd6noob
    Froyo Mar 21, 2017

14. wilsmits
    Jelly Bean Mar 22, 2017

wilsmits , Mar 22, 2017 :
    that's the part i love the most, no root required :)

15. Habib.khan316
    Honeycomb Mar 22, 2017

wilsmits likes this.
  16. jtprieto
    Donut Mar 22, 2017

jtprieto , Mar 22, 2017 :
    Hey guys.
    Everything looks easier than expected.
    Everything was fine until I received error message 'Awaiting for Devices'. I think my drivers were not properly installed. Anyway, I will work on it tonight.

wilsmits and Habib.khan316 like this.
  17. Habib.khan316
    Honeycomb Mar 22, 2017

Habib.khan316 , Mar 22, 2017 :
    At which step did you get this message?

Make sure you have fastboot.exe in the adb folder. Post #99

wilsmits likes this.
  18. kilasx
    Froyo Mar 22, 2017

kilasx , Mar 22, 2017 :
    After more than 2 years with cm I installed lineage os using this useful guide. Tanks. But the main reason to move was the battery life. With cm I had the radio active bug, and now with lineage the battery is even worst. Is there something I can do to fix this battery drain, opo is the best phone I had, but after 6-7 hours of use (1:45 h of sot) the battery goes to 15-12%. Can anyone help me?

19. Singh1836
    Cupcake Mar 22, 2017

20. Habib.khan316
    Honeycomb Mar 22, 2017

Habib.khan316 , Mar 22, 2017 :
    Give it time to optimize battery. It took my device about a week till it stabilized and started giving good battery life. I'm getting about 10hrs on avg with moderate use.