Steps Forward: OnePlus 6T and T-Mobile Partnership

1. Kameron S Administrator Staff Member Moderator Oct 31, 2018

Kameron S, Oct 31, 2018 :
    TMobile.png
    Hi everyone,

This week we took two major steps forward.

The first, of course, was the introduction of our newest device, the all-new OnePlus 6T. This device is filled with incredible technology that has helped us to continue innovating and exciting our users. We can’t wait to hear your reactions and hope that you love what we have helped create hand-in-hand with you!

The second was the announcement of our exclusive partnership in the United States with T-Mobile. Since OnePlus began, we have been committed to share the best technology with the world and ensure that no user has to settle for anything less. As we have watched our community grow in the United States, we received a lot of feedback about how to grow and reach a wider audience for the amazing technology we’ve created. The United States is different in that many users first think of their wireless provider when they think of smartphones.

In order for us to share our message and passion, we saw that partnering with another company was essential in fulfilling our main mission. We didn’t want just any partner, we wanted a partner that shared our ideology and would support us for who we are and what we value. As we carefully considered our first partner in the United States we were continually led back to T-Mobile. T-Mobile has disrupted the wireless industry and even brands themselves as the “Un-Carrier.” Their growth, commitment to listening to users, and brand identity could not have been more perfect to continue building a great community here in the United States.

After the announcement yesterday, we did a partnered pop-up, called the T-Mobile Times Square Takeover, and had a great turnout - over 700 community members attended. The first 200 phone buyers had their emails taken down so they could receive the new OnePlus backpack! T-Mobile employees from the Mobile Experts, stationed into the stores, all the way to senior executives turned out to share their excitement for the OnePlus 6T. The Takeover was so thorough that nearly every square inch of their Signature store in Times Square was OnePlus-centered. We are excited to have their support and exclusively offer our phone through them.

The T-Mobile Times Square location is the only place to buy a OnePlus 6T until T-Mobile and OnePlus.com open sales on November 1, be sure to go in and get yours early as it is world-exclusive to this location!

As this chapter unfolds, we look forward to your feedback, thoughts, and comments.
    There may be a lot of questions surrounding this rollout, see below for some FAQs.

[UPDATE 11/7: The T-Mobile launch promotion will end at midnight on 11/8, for more information go to https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-38863 ]

FAQS
    • Does T-Mobile offer all versions of the OnePlus 6T?
    • T-Mobile will be offering a specific OnePlus 6T, it is the 128GB, 8GB RAM, Mirror Black. For more information, see below: comparison chart.jpg
      *OnePlus 6Ts purchased through T-Mobile are locked to the T-Mobile Network until the device is paid in full and utilized on their service for 40 continuous days. For more information, see here.
      **The device must be network unlocked. For more details, see here.
    • Where can I find out more about the launch promotion for the OnePlus 6Ts available at T-Mobile?
    • Follow this link www.t-mobile.com/oneplus
    • Can I use the T-Mobile OnePlus 6T on another wireless provider?
    • Once the device is fully paid off to T-Mobile, a user can then request T-Mobile to SIM unlock their device for use domestically or internationally. (*please refer to https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588 for full details)
    • Can I buy accessories for the OnePlus products at T-Mobile?
    • At the initial launch, only a few locations will have on-hand accessories for purchase. All accessories will be available on OnePlus.com
    • What if I want a fully unlocked device?
    • Once we launch the device via OnePlus.com you can order the fully unlocked device in any product variant (128GB/256GB, 6GB/8GB RAM, Mirror Black/Midnight Black).
    • Can I do a payment plan for any OnePlus 6T?
    • Only the OnePlus 6T at T-Mobile will be eligible for an Equipment Installment Plan, subject to T-Mobile’s financing terms and conditions.
    • Will the OnePlus 6Ts available through T-Mobile receive software updates at the same time as the Global versions?
    • OnePlus and T-Mobile are partnering to bring all the great future feature enhancements and fixes to both sets of devices in a timely manner as possible. Due to the additional level of certification required by T-Mobile on all software releases, there may be a slight offset but we are working diligently to minimize this period in all instances.
    • Will the OnePlus 6Ts purchased at T-Mobile be eligible for the Beta Program?
    • T-Mobile OnePlus 6Ts will not be eligible for the Beta Program.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

2. Kameron S Administrator Staff Member Moderator Oct 31, 2018

Stickied Post
    @meatandy Happy to have been part of this launch! We knew there would be quite a few questions and we tried to capture the ones that came up most often. That isn’t to say there aren’t a lot more out there! If you have questions, please post, I don’t know everything, but will definitely do my best to obtain an answer

3. Kameron S Administrator Staff Member Moderator Oct 31, 2018

Stickied Post
    (Edited for correct information)
    Flashing the international ROM is not possible for the T-Mobile device. Other custom ROMs are possible, the T-Mobile OnePlus 6T has a specific modem signature that cannot be modified.
    We definitely want users to participate in the beta program! Working with a carrier has brought new challenges for the team to learn and grow through. So far it has helped us grow as a team and as you all continue to be passionate users we’ll continue to grow as a community. Please bring your concerns, questions, comments forward so we can all improve!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018

4. luxuskamel KitKat Oct 31, 2018

luxuskamel, Oct 31, 2018 :
    I don't see any good in this partnership -_-

Edit: I don't think t-mobile as partner is bad, but that phones get locked down is.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018

N.O.R.Y., Hydra Bob, volteon and 9 others like this.
  5. jerrymilton Jelly Bean Oct 31, 2018

jerrymilton, Oct 31, 2018 :
    I bet you have issues with the sun rising on a daily basis.

6. luxuskamel KitKat Oct 31, 2018

luxuskamel, Oct 31, 2018 :
    Oneplus is moving far from its roots. They only became known because the OPO was a "developer" - device. Easy to root, cyanogenOS, customROMs, cheap price

IMO locked phones are never something good

7. Hydra Bob Lollipop Oct 31, 2018

Hydra Bob, Oct 31, 2018 :
    Oh hey @Kameron S great to see you joining us on the forums! Thanks again for spearheading this initiative. I think this partnership with T-Mobile is just what OnePlus needed to bring the brand to the attention of more users here in the states without compromising the core values that got us to where we are now. Can't wait to see where this opportunity takes us from here!

8. Hydra Bob Lollipop Oct 31, 2018

They're only locked until you pay off the phone and use T-Mobile service for 40 days. After that your free to use whatever software or cell carrier you choose. Here in the United States that's about as liberating of an agreement as you'll find. It may not seem ideal to the purist but I still think it's a great opportunity not only for OnePlus users here in the US but maybe even a chance to push back against the status quo a bit too. And of course the unlocked versions are still available for purchase directly from the OP website if you insist on having your phone unlocked from day one.

9. elitekernel Gingerbread Oct 31, 2018

elitekernel, Oct 31, 2018 :
    Don't like the part about not being in the beta program.... Really thinking about returning this from TMobile. ☹️☹️

10. meatandy Nougat Oct 31, 2018

meatandy, Oct 31, 2018 :
    Glad you cleared up some of these talking points since there has been so many questions in the last few days.

11. Moin2200 Jelly Bean Oct 31, 2018

Moin2200, Oct 31, 2018 :
    Wow that’s a lot of trade offs.

Really goes a different direction compared to how oneplus started.

But I guess it was predictable seeing how other t mobile phones work.

12. Hydra Bob Lollipop Oct 31, 2018

Actually this does remind me of a question that I didn't get a chance to ask at the event. @Kameron S would you mind clarifying if there will be a separate version of the ROM for the T-Mobile branded devices? And if so once you receive a bootloader unlock code will you be able to flash the international version of the ROM including the beta versions? Helping OP with their software testing is something I've rather grown to enjoy doing and I would love to be able to continue doing so if I choose to purchase a device from T-Mobile.

13. G_Michael_McClure_IMax Donut Nov 1, 2018

G_Michael_McClure_IMax, Nov 1, 2018 :
    I want to use the global version on Verizon ,but I also have TMobile will features such as wifi calling and volte work across the board regardless of sim choice ?

14. Ceasedd Marshmallow Nov 1, 2018

Ceasedd, Nov 1, 2018 :
    Lol,T Mobile phones can be used with a lot of carriers without unlocking...(sans shitty Veryzon)

15. G_Michael_McClure_IMax Donut Nov 1, 2018

G_Michael_McClure_IMax, Nov 1, 2018 :
    every device ive have from Verizon last 3 years has been unlocked day one I use TMobile on them when I travel where data speeds are slower and Verizon for rural areas so the dual SIM on the 6t would be idea for me no issues ever so long as your bill is paid up your good .

16. meirj25 Donut Nov 1, 2018

meirj25, Nov 1, 2018 :
    I wish this information should be released after the launch event before they started selling the device. I'm sure majority of those who bought OP6t are Oneplus fanatics that will be disappointed that they can't join the Beta program.

Phillyslix, Marvins231 and N.O.R.Y. like this.
  17. Tobikage Marshmallow Nov 1, 2018

Tobikage, Nov 1, 2018 :
    What do you know.... you're a camel. :rolleyes:

Unlock
    * the speed !!

*ask T-Mobile first.

18. newnews Froyo Nov 1, 2018

19. Braylan Black Froyo Nov 1, 2018

Braylan Black, Nov 1, 2018 :
    The only thing that sucks about this is that you can't get beta updates. I'm thinking about getting it through them because of the trade in deal, but that's a tough pill to swallow.

20. Ceasedd Marshmallow Nov 1, 2018

Ceasedd, Nov 1, 2018 :
    On Veryzon's CDMA devices?.if the gsm hardware is there yes..if CDMA only not so.