Steps Forward: OnePlus 6T and T-Mobile Partnership

1. G_Michael_McClure_IMax
    Donut Nov 1, 2018

G_Michael_McClure_IMax , Nov 1, 2018 :
    also the T-Mobile manager just informed me on the device if you take the 300 dollar trade in . you can't just pay the device off you gotta wait out the promotional period . ‍♂️ still a good deal but that's a long time

2. djkinetic
    Gingerbread Nov 1, 2018

djkinetic , Nov 1, 2018 :
    Its been confirmed the unlock won't be through T-Mobile, what you do is pay off the device, ask T-Mobile of a sim unlock, once this is done you request an unlock token from One Plus, the process has been outlined here: https://support.oneplus.com/app/ans...-bootloader-for-oneplus-6t-(t-mobile-version)

3. djkinetic
    Gingerbread Nov 1, 2018

djkinetic , Nov 1, 2018 :
    The manager is mistaken, the trade in is a 300 dollar credit every month on your bill..The trade in credit is independent of the EIP balance...what you need to do is keep the 6t on the tmo account for at least 1 month, the 2nd month you should see the Trade in credit on your bill, once you see this you can pay off the remaining EIP balance and so long as you don't upgrade the device on the line you did the trade in before the 2 yrs is up, you will continue to receive the 300 even if you pay it off early...Making sure you don't Pay off the EIP before the first month is up is key.

4. G_Craig_D_(ChitownCraig)
    Eclair Nov 1, 2018

5. Kameron S
    National Training Manager Staff Member Nov 1, 2018

Kameron S , Nov 1, 2018 :
    I reached out to a few staff members and got the answer that the TMO hardware will not be able to receive direct updates, this puts it out for Beta at this time.
    The truly detailed optimizations I cannot speak to, I do know they went with a specific variant that works best with their network.

Hydra Bob and chuckbort like this.
  6. Kameron S
    National Training Manager Staff Member Nov 1, 2018

Kameron S , Nov 1, 2018 :
    This is true, if we didn't want to get better we'd only want to hear the things that make us great. I know throughout this post there are a number of concerns, but since this is our first time with a carrier gathering feedback is crucial as we potentially will do it again.

Hydra Bob, chuckbort and Moin2200 like this.
  7. meatandy
    Oreo Nov 1, 2018

meatandy , Nov 1, 2018 :
    Band 71 is the same as 600 Mkz.

8. keithnyc
    Marshmallow Moderator Nov 2, 2018

keithnyc , Nov 2, 2018 :
    Kameron--Great post? Working with you and the team during the launch was amazing. Thanks for clearing up a lot of the questions folks had regarding this partnership. Honestly, I think a lot of the early OP adopters may have had some trepidation in a new partnership with a domestic carrier, but after meeting all the folks at TMobile and seeing the unbelievable support they are putting behind the OnePlus phone, I truly believe this is going to be an amazing partnership. SPAAAAARRRRRTTTTAAA!

Kameron S and Hydra Bob like this.
  9. G_Craig_D_(ChitownCraig)
    Eclair Nov 2, 2018

10. Ponz_Dawg
    Froyo Nov 2, 2018

Ponz_Dawg , Nov 2, 2018 :
    I guarantee most people buying this phone on TMobile are getting it because they want the speed and everything the phone has to offer. Also they are probably getting it cuz it's 280 bucks when they trade in. People that really care about things like open beta, root, etc. will just buy it from OnePlus

11. G_Michael_McClure_IMax
    Donut Nov 2, 2018

G_Michael_McClure_IMax , Nov 2, 2018 :
    if I was a TMobile only user I would definitely do it ,but since I have Verizon as well for work a dual SIM unlocked is what I needed . plus I might be able to get more on the resale side . I did go in the store and inquire though and grab whatever accessories they had on hand .

12. G_Jessie_Tomich_izOb
    Gingerbread Nov 2, 2018

13. DigiHippie
    Eclair Nov 2, 2018

DigiHippie , Nov 2, 2018 :
    I just want to say thank you for bringing the 6T to TMO just how it is. I realize giant corporations have giant rules, and this 6T is the snappiest, most well thought out UI I have ever seen.

I love TMO and now I love OnePlus.

G1andonly likes this.
  14. chuckbort
    Eclair Nov 2, 2018

chuckbort , Nov 2, 2018 :
    Thank you!

15. Serbian Overlord
    KitKat Nov 2, 2018

Serbian Overlord , Nov 2, 2018 :
    My OnePlus One was collecting dust for few years. I've owned OnePlus 3T and Google Pixel 2 XL since then. I went to the local T-Mobile store today and traded it in for a OnePlus 6T. I didn't need it but I would be crazy not to cash the OnePlus One for $300. I stopped rooting and cooking ROMs after Nexus line died. I got the OnePlus 6T for a ridiculously low price, $280. That's unreal. I don't even need it but I love that I have it.

Axesdennis and chuckbort like this.
  16. rando191
    Donut Nov 2, 2018

rando191 , Nov 2, 2018 :
    I'm reading online that the TMB version out of the box is already behind the unlocked variant in terms of OS and features. Is this true, and how quickly will it catch up? Getting my carrier version today

DrJMun likes this.
  17. DrJMun
    KitKat Nov 2, 2018

DrJMun , Nov 2, 2018 :
    I have the same concerns about buying the tmobile variant. Carriers can be very slow at getting updates out.

18. chuckbort
    Eclair Nov 2, 2018

chuckbort , Nov 2, 2018 :
    Well, this might be a good chance to see how behind they will be. Let's see how long it takes for them to push out this update to catch up.

19. G_Jofon_ave
    Donut Nov 2, 2018

G_Jofon_ave , Nov 2, 2018 :
    This contradicts OnePlus motto "Never Settle" in my opinion if you buy from T-MOBILE you are settling. Your buying a modified product at the same price, being locked to T-Mobile for updates ("modem requires a special signature" ) so even if you move to another carrier if you stay stock you need updates approved by T-Mobile. Even if you pay in full you have to wait 40 days to unlock a T-Mobile model. What happens next year when this phone is not in the spot light.

20. vinchenze
    Cupcake Nov 2, 2018

vinchenze , Nov 2, 2018 :
    I bought it yesterday with the trade in not knowing any of the above & more. I do regret buying from TMo. I moreover regret not doing a bit more research on this TMo venture and so called trade offs. The trade in credit is nice but specifically for me not worth the trade offs. That promo period / credit is spaced over 24 months. If you pay it off you lose whatever credit remains. I was told in store that at 40 days I can unlock. However, you can't unlock unless the thing is paid off according to their site. I'll return today. But if they don't give back my trade in while having to pay a $50 restock fee so I can just buy unlocked direct...Lesson (re)learned.