Steps Forward: OnePlus 6T and T-Mobile Partnership

1. DigiHippie
    Eclair Nov 2, 2018

DigiHippie , Nov 2, 2018 :
    if you pay it off you do not lose the credits unless you get a new promo on the same line....

vinchenze and chuckbort like this.
  2. chuckbort
    Eclair Nov 2, 2018

chuckbort , Nov 2, 2018 :
    My understanding is that even if you pay it off later, you still get the credits for the 24 months.

vinchenze likes this.
  3. DigiHippie
    Eclair Nov 2, 2018

DigiHippie , Nov 2, 2018 :
    I'm not settling. I'm $300 richer in an already best in class price to performance ratio and have literally 0 of the "sacrifices" affecting me in my personal use case.

Buy unlocked if you don't agree.... which OnePlus offers as well.

Serbian Overlord and chuckbort like this.
  4. vinchenze
    Cupcake Nov 2, 2018

vinchenze , Nov 2, 2018 :
    I hope this is true but not what I was told by the store clerk. I will hopefully get a proper answer today from them.

5. chuckbort
    Eclair Nov 2, 2018

chuckbort , Nov 2, 2018 :
    I can't understand the people that are so upset about the limitations/sacrifices of the t-mobile version. This partnership is huge for the company as it makes their product more mainstream and visible to the general public.

For the majority of new customers from T-Mobile, the locked bootloader and splash screen are not going to be an issue at all. It's something that OnePlus had to do to expand their growth.

If those things are something that you can't handle or accept, you still have the option of buying directly through them just like before.

I personally think this is a great thing for both OnePlus and T-Mobile customers.

G1andonly and DigiHippie like this.
  6. keithnyc
    Marshmallow Moderator Nov 2, 2018

keithnyc , Nov 2, 2018 :
    I will find this out and get back to you today

Hydra Bob and vinchenze like this.
  7. KnightofScorpio
    US Brand Ambassador Nov 2, 2018

KnightofScorpio , Nov 2, 2018 :
    It's a give and take, pros and cons. It's just depends on the user and their needs.

T-Mobile version offers financing options, cheaper (with trade-in offer), optimized for T-Mobile's network, and more benefit to average consumers who aren't as tech savvy as us on the forums who just want a premium smartphone that's affordable that they can have visibility where they are and used to, brick and mortar stores (T-Mobile).

IMaLILtPOT and chuckbort like this.
  8. djkinetic
    Gingerbread Nov 2, 2018

9. BlackKnight2332
    Honeycomb Nov 2, 2018

BlackKnight2332 , Nov 2, 2018 :
    I think T-Mobile partnership is great. If you want an unlocked phone don't buy through a carrier. What carrier do you know of selling unlocked phones? With unlocked bootloader's? Being someone that has been through Samsung S-3,5,6,7edge,8active,9plus,Note-5,7,9. LG V20,30,40, G-4,5,6,7, HTC 10, iPhone 4,6,XS Max, Pixel XL and Pixel 3XL. I'm preferring the OP6T even if it's T-Mobile variant.

10. vinchenze
    Cupcake Nov 3, 2018

vinchenze , Nov 3, 2018 :

chuckbort

I can't understand the people that are so upset about the limitations/sacrifices of the t-mobile version. This partnership is huge for the company as it makes their product more mainstream and visible to the general public.

For the majority of new customers from T-Mobile, the locked bootloader and splash screen are not going to be an issue at all. It's something that OnePlus had to do to expand their growth.

If those things are something that you can't handle or accept, you still have the option of buying directly through them just like before.

I personally think this is a great thing for both OnePlus and T-Mobile customers.​

yes yes yes. I agree with all of this and more. Including the fact I knew it was going to be locked. For me, the main issues were not knowing the limitations etc before hand (again lesson learned) but moreover the fact I was told in person "look there's the dual SIM" and 'sorry, you cannot pay off the balance because it has to be over the 24mo period or you'll lose the promo. but you can unlock in 40 days.' ?? I admit this entire experience is my own fault for not doing homework and being patient while learning from others. I just want anyone else looking to be fully aware before making a decision. I let my impatience get the best of me. I really just wanted to pay it off, unlock it and not deal with it over two years.

edit: just saw djkinetic post above. thank you. if that works out then I will be content.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018

chuckbort likes this.
  11. Android450
    Marshmallow Nov 3, 2018

Android450 , Nov 3, 2018 :
    This is exactly why people are upset. People fail to realize that a company has a very slim chance of surviving if they only stuck to a relatively small niche of users.

Hydra Bob and chuckbort like this.
  12. F_Bonhomie_Walnut_BIMQ
    Cupcake Nov 3, 2018

F_Bonhomie_Walnut_BIMQ , Nov 3, 2018 :

13. djkinetic
    Gingerbread Nov 3, 2018

djkinetic , Nov 3, 2018 :
    those upset about the carrier limitations must not have been aware of how the pixel 2 is handled on Verizon..u can't even try to request a bootloader unlock..the only saving grace is that google updates can be flashed via recovery sideload. I'd rather take the option of being able to unlock the bootloader later on. ppl complaining right now won't be in a month when ppl start unlocking their bls and development starts..yes the global will be ahead in Dev initially but in time it won't be so bad..that said if u absolutely need dual SIM then get the global version. otherwise if u can wait then stop thinking the sky is falling.

chuckbort likes this.
  14. BlackKnight2332
    Honeycomb Nov 3, 2018

BlackKnight2332 , Nov 3, 2018 :
    someone misinformed you, if T-Mobile said they will give you $300 credit over 24month period. The way they work is you'll get 12.5 each month for 24 months as long as that line is active. You can pay off the device early and still get the bill credits as long as the line remains active.

jma9454 and vinchenze like this.
  15. chillaxnphilx
    Froyo Nov 3, 2018

chillaxnphilx , Nov 3, 2018 :
    So if I somehow get Tmobile to unlock my device, will I be able to use dual sim or not?

(please do not reply with the unlock policies, I know them. I have yet to have anyone confirm and word for word say if the TMO variant is physically not capable of dual sim)

16. chuckbort
    Eclair Nov 3, 2018

chuckbort , Nov 3, 2018 :
    The t-mobile sim card tray only has a spot for one card. Not sure if you can get a replacement with two or if it would work after unlocking.

jma9454 likes this.
  17. IMaLILtPOT
    Donut Nov 4, 2018

IMaLILtPOT , Nov 4, 2018 :
    I honestly think the partnership is a great thing for OnePlus. I think some people have to understand that not everyone in the world is as tech savvy as the people in the forums. This is another choice for people and more choice is always good. OnePlus has made the differences in the variants very public and now its up to the user to choose. Thanks OnePlus for giving me more options! Those who want to trade in their 4 year old phone to get an amazing deal, good for you.

chuckbort and tanner.j.michels like this.
  18. tanner.j.michels
    Gingerbread Nov 4, 2018

tanner.j.michels , Nov 4, 2018 :
    So I know that updates will be slower, but how slow!? some of the T-Mobile variants don't even have the Nightscape update yet or the new gestures! Unacceptable! Come on!.

19. tanner.j.michels
    Gingerbread Nov 4, 2018

tanner.j.michels , Nov 4, 2018 :

chuckbort

I personally think this is a great thing for both OnePlus and T-Mobile customers.​

It is wonderful, but not with updates rolling out so slow. That is my only complaint. At least 4 people in forums have not received Nightscape or even the new gestures yet! Updates are going to be so freaking slow!!! They need a Forum for us specifically to talk about the TMobile update schedule and have then hold to it. Be Accountable.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018

20. jma9454
    Honeycomb Nov 4, 2018

jma9454 , Nov 4, 2018 :
    you should read the first page. it says the T-Mobile variant has a special modem. even if you flash the international Rom, you can't do dual SIM.