Steve Kondik's post about CyanogenMod and OnePlus

1. Bfrom1983
    Eclair Mar 28, 2014

Bfrom1983 , Mar 28, 2014 :
    Hey guys,
    Have you read Steve's post on Google+?
    https://plus.google.com/u/1/ SteveKondik/posts/Koc2SLKuhjR

By now you may have seen or heard of +OnePlus, a young company looking to make an impact with the upcoming release of their first device.

From the beginning +CyanogenMod was their OS of choice to power the device; well before hardware was even planned or engineering units were produced.

I met Pete, their CEO, while he was still at Oppo and as Cyanogen Inc. was playing catch up with the N1 device. We were chatting about the incumbents in the device market and how CM's community and growth is driven by the users. We do not have a marketing campaign, no fulltime PR team and no ads on the Superbowl. But still we manage to grow at a steady rate. The growth we see is all about the users genuinely enjoying our work, the customization & expression of self it offers and advocating for it.

Most hardware vendors have lost sight of the user piece. Money is spent piling in new specs, features, and silly ads but it seems like no one takes that step back to say "is this useful for the people buying it?

Pete and I discussed what a new model for hardware vendors would look like. Not quite a modular phone (that market is a few years out), but something less rigid than the status quo. Much like CM lets the user's voice shine through the software, there should be a way for the users voice to resonate through the hardware. Listen to the community at the design phase for starters. Yes, you'll get wildly differing opinions, but this information is invaluable - they are practically telling you what it would take for them to buy your product, it would be downright stupid to ignore that. Maybe you can't get everything off of everyone's wish list, just showing that you are listening will keep those people interested in your future products.

The team at OnePlus understands this. They are asking the right questions on their forums, running community polls about hardware and software components. By focusing their efforts to online marketing only, they can pass on savings to the users. The build quality and design of the devices we have been working with are what you would expect from a premium phone. A top of the line phone with 90% of what most people want in a phone for a reasonable price, this should be the model OEMs follow.

I'm glad to say that we are involved in that revolution.

ogriff, riffraff81, Cogra147 and 8 others like this.
  2. Sparkolo
    KitKat Community Expert Mar 28, 2014

Sparkolo , Mar 28, 2014 :
    Yeah this thread deserves its own thread, the thread you're talking about I'd just a collection of the press stuff :)

BTW notice that Steve does not call it flagship killer but premium phone... Maybe he does not feel like this is the best phone off the year?

3. Mark Falsing
    Jelly Bean Senior Moderator Mar 28, 2014

Mark Falsing , Mar 28, 2014 :
    A top of the line phone with 90% of what most people want in a phone for a reasonable price, this should be the model OEMs follow.

That to me is flagship killer

4. Andrew Z
    Honeycomb Community Expert Mar 28, 2014

Andrew Z , Mar 28, 2014 :
    Steve is just the person who under-promise and over-deliver. Just look at what his "hobby" has become!

5. Sparkolo

Sparkolo , Mar 28, 2014 :
    Hope you're right ;)

6. nguser
    KitKat Mar 28, 2014

nguser , Mar 28, 2014 :
    He's just acting humble.

GregOrevo likes this.
  7. lvpl
    Honeycomb Mar 28, 2014

lvpl , Mar 28, 2014 :
    Euh, how many polls has the OnePlus created ?
    I saw one, it's about the choice of the sentence ("Ok, OnePlus...") to wake the OPO.

What about you ? have you seen another OnePlus polls ?

sarfraz likes this.
  8. mydragoon
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 28, 2014

mydragoon , Mar 28, 2014 :
    maybe not via polls directly, but from listening to our discussions, answering to some of them, etc...

but ya... polls. the 's' indicating more than one... :D

9. Andrew Z

Dude, you are member from 11th of March. By that time prototype was already created and no significant changes could have been done.

When everything started in the beginning of the year @Mingyu has created a lot of polls and had a great discussions with members. We have discussed all the important aspects of a phone. You can go through the history if you are interested

Mingyu and Sparkolo like this.
  10. mydragoon
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 28, 2014

mydragoon , Mar 28, 2014 :
    oh... i see... darn... wished i was here earlier...

but oh well... if the phone sucks... i can blame all you guys and say it's not my fault... :rolleyes:

i was only kidding about the blaming part, ya? :)

11. Paul
    Gingerbread Mar 28, 2014

Paul , Mar 28, 2014 :
    Oh, I then I will wait for OnePlus Two. And then blame you?

P.S. : They will put vibrant red paint online!

12. lvpl
    Honeycomb Mar 28, 2014

lvpl , Mar 28, 2014 :
    Great, nice speach !

About the final prototype which was already created, have you got anything to add about the change of the CPU Snapdragon 801 instead of Snapdragon 800 and without explanation ?

13. Andrew Z

If you really want to have a constructive discussion about the processor change you should go to a special thread about it. In short, my opinion is that using SD800 for reasons to launch device earlier and cut costs was a good decision. At the same time if OnePlus guys somehow managed to get SD801 and not postpone launch date and not increase device price- they are just great. I also am sure that at some point admins will tell us the full story behind this change, be patient.

14. Radeon962
    KitKat Mar 28, 2014

Radeon962 , Mar 28, 2014 :
    He sounds like he is/has been on board with the concept and it's nice to hear from CM. Software is an important piece of the overall user experience and it should be great with their support.

May I Taste likes this.
  15. Rohit D
    Gingerbread Mar 28, 2014

Rohit D , Mar 28, 2014 :
    It was really good to read what Steve had said in the post. It will be really interesting to see how wonderful CM can be when they have source code for all the hardware and work from ground-up.

I wish to see the camera interface changed in this build. The Android camera interface really sucks and if 1+ have used one of the latest sensors, they need to give more features to users to make use of the camera.

Another thing to note, this phone won't have Nexus 5 form factor. I am very inclined to think this will have Find 7 form factor... Let's wait and see

16. Luka
    Froyo Mar 28, 2014

17. Claudia
    Gingerbread Mar 28, 2014

Claudia , Mar 28, 2014 :
    Name me the flag ship killer of last year?

18. GregOrevo
    Gingerbread Mar 28, 2014

GregOrevo , Mar 28, 2014 :
    Agreed, i don't see him talking about flagship killer, it's a term that can be used by OnePlus for the marketing (nothing bad at all, the phone will deliver anyway^^).

Adam Krisko likes this.
  19. Adam Krisko

Adam Krisko , Mar 28, 2014 :
    I'm not going to lie, I was a little hesitant when I heard that CM was incorporating, but I'm now glad that they have. Steve is a really talented guy and I'm glad I'm able to support his dream. (OnePlus too!)

GregOrevo likes this.
  20. HushH
    Froyo Mar 28, 2014

HushH , Mar 28, 2014 :
    Very nice post from Steve. I love hearing how OnePlus is focusing on validating and satisfying users needs rather than just throwing a bunch of features and technologies into the phone. So many companies seem to do this without giving a thought as to how (or even if) most of their users would make use of it. Lean Startup principles FTW.