Communication Stick with Google Messages for stock the SMS/RCS app.

1. James Matthew Wells
    Honeycomb Mar 5, 2020

James Matthew Wells , Mar 5, 2020 :
    You can concentrate on other more vital software issues such as camera software, the launcher, etc. Google Messages is feature rich and offers RCS.

2. Gary C.
    OxygenOS Product Lead Staff Member Apr 16, 2020

Stickied Post
    Gary C. , Apr 16, 2020 :
    [Not Adopted]

Hi James, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

We understand some users prefer Google Messages to their liking. But there are also a lot out there voting for stock SMS app. We’d like to share with our Community how product plan goes internally.

Every time we decide to launch a new product, we carry out thorough research to help facilitate a scrupulous evaluation on what apps should be preloaded in our devices. Lots of factors are taken into consideration, like regions, user scale, user experience of the app itself, and most importantly, our users’ ultimate needs. Only after that will we make the final call. This applies to all kinds of applications, including messenger apps. So rest assured that we're trying our best to make responsible and best decisions for our users.

That said, please note that our OS is compatible with Google Messages so feel free to download and set it as your default messenger app.

Learn more about how your Idea flows within OnePlus

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020

3. Stijnvi
    Gingerbread Mar 5, 2020

Stijnvi , Mar 5, 2020 :
    You are free to download Google Messages on your OnePlus device and set it as the default messenger app
    It also probably does not take OnePlus too much time to maintain the app
    Besides, relying on one company, in this case Google, for everything, can be very risky. Just look at Huawei and how much trouble they have had due to the trade war and the Google ban

4. Ayush_Jangta
    Donut Mar 6, 2020

Ayush_Jangta , Mar 6, 2020 :
    Google SMS app is so boring and unmanageable. Trust me being a stock user I have seen Google bringing useless features and updates on Message app. Plus I feel OnePlus apps are a lot more fast,smooth and innovative.

5. just_in_1P
    Donut Mar 6, 2020

just_in_1P , Mar 6, 2020 :
    Sorry I disagree with this idea. As @Ayush_Jangta said, the stock Messages app is flat out boring and usually updated with useless stuff. I much prefer OnePlus' more simple and faster Messages app.

Ayush_Jangta likes this.
  6. James Matthew Wells
    Honeycomb Mar 6, 2020

James Matthew Wells , Mar 6, 2020 :
    I have downloaded Google Messages and use it as my default. The stock messenger app is redundant and not very good IMHO. OnePlus is small and I love it when they concentrate on hardware and a smooth and fast OS experience. If they concentrate on what matters, such as the overall OS, the camera experience, and even customization, they can stay on top and keep costs down. No need to close down software development, just put those folks to better use.

Tiphlo and F1591893494070 like this.
  7. Andrei Agulescu
    Donut Mar 7, 2020

Andrei Agulescu , Mar 7, 2020 :
    I don't know how some people can say that the Google Messages app is boring. It offers some of the best usability features (suggestions for copying passcodes, good autocomplete, recognizes addresses etc). It's a big time saver, offers RCS and is overall better than the stock SMS app. Whoever says otherwise has probably never used it for more than a few minutes.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020

8. James Matthew Wells
    Honeycomb Mar 9, 2020

James Matthew Wells , Mar 9, 2020 :
    I agree completely. Plus, why waste development resources on an app that is already developed, constantly updated, and reliable? OnePlus can use those resources elsewhere. Work smarter, not harder...

9. H1541620567882
    Froyo Mar 10, 2020

H1541620567882 , Mar 10, 2020 :
    Anyone who thinks Google's Messenger is feature rich hasn't tried... Literally any other Messenger. Pulse, Textra, Handcent, Signal all make Google Messages look as feature rich.... As OP Messages.

10. kevm66
    Gingerbread Mar 17, 2020

kevm66 , Mar 17, 2020 :
    I agree that the stock OnePlus Messaging app is much better. The fact that it is less cluttered and simpler is a plus.
    Google's Messages app is way to cluttered and less user friendly.

11. KarthikSub
    Cupcake Mar 26, 2020

12. churchner420
    Donut Mar 28, 2020

churchner420 , Mar 28, 2020 :
    Would love to see every app replaced by the Google apps like dialer, sms, contacts, gallery, file manager (currently there is two of them: OnePlus and Google file manager, neither of them can be disabled... Doesn't make any sense)

F1591893494070 likes this.
  13. James Matthew Wells
    Honeycomb Apr 25, 2020