Still looking for a UK charger? Found a great one that matches the original cable

1. LukeJWarren
    Donut Mar 11, 2015

LukeJWarren , Mar 11, 2015 :
    Last time I went on a trip I remembered my original charger, but not the bloody EU adapter. Had to charge it through my laptop which only took about 5 hours :/
    So I had a look on amazon today and found this great little charger for only £6:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aulola-Coverter-Charging-Compatible-Blackberry-Red/dp/B00PLN7T7S/

Similar seller but with more pics, this one doesn't include a 1M cable, £5.50 with delivery:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Smartphone-Folding-Motorola-BlackBerry/dp/B00PK32B1S/

It has 2 ports, which can run at 1A each or 2A when just using one of them, perfect for the OnePlus One.
    The folding pins make it nice and compact when travelling, which is about the only thing I like about the official EU charger.
    The only complaint anyone seems to have is that the bottom located USB sockets make it tricky to use on some trains, but then I've never liked wires coming out of the top of plugs.

To top it off, even the colour matches the official cable! Or they have seven others if that isn't good enough.

Just ordered mine today, I'll update this thread when I get my hands on it.

Update [14th March 2015]:

• Delivery took 3 days, so it was quicker than the Amazon estimate as usual

• Solid construction, the foldable pins are very sturdy. Nice and thick plastic case, not flimsy at all

• Included USB cable has very rugged moulded plastic around connectors, ~5cm longer than official cable, very flexible

• ~50 minutes for a half charge, from 30% to 80% (very similar to official EU charger)

• Obviously gets warm while charging, but not as warm as official EU charger (probably due to extra surface area, ~1.5x EU charger)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015

jjppttccbb, koltiwa and gusuraman like this.
  2. gusuraman
    Community Veteran Mar 14, 2015

jjppttccbb likes this.
  3. Cboyd104
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 14, 2015

Cboyd104 , Mar 14, 2015 :
    I bought a similar BlackBerry one for 3 quid. Interchangeable pins to us EU etc etc. Good chargers though! 6ft cable so it's brilliant

4. LukeJWarren
    Donut Mar 14, 2015

LukeJWarren , Mar 14, 2015 :
    Well it arrived today, so that's only 3 days shipping for free option.

The thing is pretty solid, my main worry was the folding pins might be a bit too loose to sit safely, but they are perfectly rigid for the job.

It's almost exactly the same thickness as the official EU charger, give or take a few millimetres. Quite a bit wider, but shorter because it doesn't have the pins sticking out, so really quite a similar size to the original.

It's got a good weight to it, which sounds a bit weird but usually if a charger is too light it's been made of cheaper parts, or they've just used thinner plastic inside which can make things dangerous when it gets hot.

One thing I really do like is the included cable to colour match the plug. The official OnePlus cable has very thin plastic on the USB-A end and gets incredibly hot after a full charge. This cable has a much thicker moulded case so that also shouldn't be a problem.

I'm at 30% battery right now, gonna charge it up and see how long it takes to hit 80%

5. noobtubed1875
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 14, 2015

noobtubed1875 , Mar 14, 2015 :
    I use a blackberry playbook charger which i got for a few quid on amazon, it has the same voltage and everything as the opo charger. But has a massive cable.

6. LukeJWarren
    Donut Mar 14, 2015

LukeJWarren , Mar 14, 2015 :
    Results are in: ~50 minutes to go from 30% to 80% charge.

I try to not go below 20%/above 80%, and this is still a half charge so it's easy to scale up to ~1 hour 40 minutes full charge cycle.

The quickest I've manage the same speed with the original was maybe 45 mins halfway/90 mins full charge, but that is technically rated 2.1A so that small difference is expected.

The casing doesn't feel as hot after charging, but then it is bigger so it's probably the same amount of heat, just spreading out over more area. That in itself is much healthier for the charger lifetime though.

The cable is standard round one about the same thickness as iPhone USB cables, and ~5cm longer than the official OnePlus cable. I do find it to be much more flexible than the official cable, which usually requires you to get the phone sitting in just the right spot to not twist it awkwardly. The moulded connectors are mean it should be much more rugged.

7. Sky1683
    Gingerbread Mar 15, 2015

Sky1683 , Mar 15, 2015 :
    I lost my official opo UK charger I bought this phone for my aunty and I am at her house atm freaking 60 percent per hour I couldn't believe it myself and I only get 30 per hour with shitty Samsung adapters and etc I dunno what to do how much do you get with this one? Is it as reliable as the official opo charger? Btw on both tests I used the official USB cable for the opo

8. LukeJWarren
    Donut Mar 16, 2015

LukeJWarren , Mar 16, 2015 :
    Well some oldschool USB chargers only pump out between 150mA and 1000mA, which is great for a small capacity battery but would take around 4 hours to charge the OnePlus One.

The official charger is rated at 2100mA maximum, and runs at about 2000mA I believe.
    Any 2 amp charger should be able to charge the phone ~60% per hour as you are looking for.

I've only had the Aulola charger for a few days, so I can't really back up it's reliability, but the thing looks and feels very solid.

9. LukeJWarren
    Donut Mar 17, 2015

LukeJWarren , Mar 17, 2015 :
    Just did another test charge.

Exactly 90 minutes for a 75% charge (from 13% to 88%).
    Obviously as you approach the max capacity, the charge current has to reduce to not wear down the battery, so this is slightly slower than the previous test.

10. Sky1683
    Gingerbread Mar 17, 2015

Sky1683 , Mar 17, 2015 :
    I have read that beside this the only charger that does almost 2A charge is apparently the Blackberry Playbook Travel Charger but I don't like the design and etc its great for taking somewhere but at home I want to rely on the beautiful one at home lol.
    I tried all chargers... I got a Moto G USB cable, plugged to the Samsung,
    I got a Aulola 2AMP charger and its cable. Tried that all of it charge at 1AMP and below for some reason and even changed with my OPO USB cable...