Still making the camera work [photo]

1. kalniel
    Froyo Jul 5, 2016

kalniel , Jul 5, 2016 :
    So camera quality is my second biggest gripe with the OPX (behind music audio quality), but otherwise I'm still super happy with the phone. And it's still possible to get some good shots if you get the conditions right :)

[​IMG]

2. Kéno40
    Jelly Bean Jul 5, 2016

3. Pranjal.Cmod
    KitKat Jul 5, 2016

4. naa27
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 5, 2016

naa27 , Jul 5, 2016 :
    Personally I find the picture quality to be excellent in daylight. Indoors isn't great (but very few phones are).

The only issue is low light video which sultan's HAL fixes (though it breaks HDR and other features so be warned).

kalniel and princemichael like this.
  5. migueldbr
    Gingerbread Jul 5, 2016

migueldbr , Jul 5, 2016 :
    The camera is quite good with good lighting. The complaints are when the conditions aren't perfect or very good (aka average/low lighting)

kalniel likes this.
  6. kalniel
    Froyo Jul 7, 2016

7. naa27
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 7, 2016

naa27 , Jul 7, 2016 :
    It doesn't need to be rooted, you just need to have a custom recovery installed (so you need to unlock bootloader first).

I haven't found any improvement in stills at all, but video is much improved.

8. Kéno40
    Jelly Bean Jul 8, 2016

Kéno40 , Jul 8, 2016 :
    Just read the posts on XDA.

there are tweaks :
    Notable features:
    • 4K UHD and DCI video recording
    • Consistent 30 FPS video recording in all lighting conditions
    • Intelligent anti-shake algorithm (significantly reduces motion blur when capturing photos)
    • Faster autofocus in low lighting conditions
    • No stuttering in camera viewfinder
    • Improved photo quality
    • Photo capture up to 4208x3120 resolution (instead of 4160x3120)

Caveats:
    • No ClearImage
    • No manual mode only in the OnePlus Camera app (other apps that support manual ISO and manual exposure work fine)

9. kalniel
    Froyo Jul 8, 2016

kalniel , Jul 8, 2016 :
    I did. So the non-video things are:

The only thing of interest to me is 'improved photo quality' - but there are no details on how it's improved or by what mechanism it's improved. Do you know any more?

10. hailtotheking
    Gingerbread Jul 8, 2016

hailtotheking , Jul 8, 2016 :
    JPEG compression ratio forced to 5% if I'm not mistaken

kalniel likes this.
  11. Kéno40
    Jelly Bean Jul 8, 2016

Kéno40 , Jul 8, 2016 :
    At start the fix wass 100% (=no compression). the dev put 95% quality, because of the bigger files for no benefits.

12. Kéno40
    Jelly Bean Jul 8, 2016

Kéno40 , Jul 8, 2016 :
    And to be complete, if you install, the Sultant's CM13 rom, the HAL is improved :
    • Custom camera HAL I made myself featuring:
      -4K UHD and DCI video recording
      -1440p video recording with the front-facing camera
      -High-speed video recording with audio at 60 FPS and 120 FPS for 720p, and 60 FPS for 1080p
      -Consistent 30 FPS video recording in all lighting conditions
      -Intelligent anti-shake algorithm (significantly reduces motion blur when capturing photos)
      -Faster autofocus in low lighting conditions
      -No stuttering in camera viewfinder
      -Improved photo quality
      -Photo capture up to 4208x3120 resolution (instead of 4160x3120)

ohmarinusopx likes this.
  13. ohmarinusopx
    Froyo Jul 9, 2016

ohmarinusopx , Jul 9, 2016 :
    You got me, I will try to get this today. Would really like to have a well functioning camera finally because now it's just a piece of junk.

The HDR is a pseudo HDR anyway and clearimage isn't important. Getting quality results in the first place is what counts really.

14. naa27
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 9, 2016

naa27 , Jul 9, 2016 :
    Don't get too excited, it really does just improve the video in low light. It has little other benefit (though the video alone is reason to get it).

Not sure why you think it's junk, it takes excellent pics outside in good light and is capable of reasonable indoor pics if you know what you're doing.

15. settler_sk
    Cupcake Jul 14, 2016

settler_sk , Jul 14, 2016 :
    My camera takes every (landscape) photo with blurry right edge. Do you know where could be the problem?

Attached Files:

16. kalniel
    Froyo Jul 31, 2016

kalniel , Jul 31, 2016 :
    Ah got you. The app I use already saves at 100% so this HAL won't improve things.

If it's always the same spot then probably some grease on the lens.

PS still happy with the camera in good light :)

17. Kéno40
    Jelly Bean Aug 1, 2016

Kéno40 , Aug 1, 2016 :
    IMO, jpeg compression is about 1/50th of the photo quality in the process.
    There is the app quality (efficiency, light measurement, settings applied...) then the jpeg processing and at the complete end, the jpeg compression witch in fact doesn't matter much for a "phone" picture, unless you want to print A4.

naa27 likes this.
  18. kalniel
    Froyo Aug 11, 2016

kalniel , Aug 11, 2016 :
    I don't agree. jpeg compression is one of the main causes of loss of image quality, after sensor (ISO) performance. This 'app quality' you mention doesn't make logical sense - why would an app ever work at less than 100% quality? The hardware could be improved, certainly, but that's nothing to do with an app!

19. pagalrajat
    Eclair Aug 23, 2016

pagalrajat , Aug 23, 2016 :
    Can you please mail me full size image (13 MP) of this photo?
    [email protected]

20. scrads
    Cupcake Aug 26, 2016

scrads , Aug 26, 2016 :
    Apologies for my ignorance but is it possible to install this without rooting your phone and installing a custom recovery?

i.e can it be installed via ADB?

Obviously the reason that the OP recovery doesn't allow the install is because it's unsigned by them.