Stock 6T camera vs the GCam

1. MazKassam
    Cupcake Dec 28, 2018

MazKassam , Dec 28, 2018 :
    Hey guys,
    I have heard alot about the Gcam apk, does it really make a big difference from the 6T stock camera app?
    I have seen people praise that alot.
    has anyone else tried that??

2. Deactivated User
    Dec 28, 2018

MazKassam likes this.
  3. MazKassam
    Cupcake Dec 28, 2018

MazKassam , Dec 28, 2018 :
    I personally have felt that the stock camera app is much better. I'll take a look at the comparison. thanks

Deactivated User likes this.
  4. Kruemelfelix
    Honeycomb Dec 28, 2018

5. ChronisC
    Donut Dec 29, 2018

ChronisC , Dec 29, 2018 :
    If you take a few pictures, in different light conditions with both apps, you will notice a dramatic difference in texture/detail quality, esp if you zoom a bit, in favor of the Google app.
    The default 1+ camera app pics, become very very blurry, even with minimum zoom.
    To its advantage i believe that the gcam oversaturates colors in low light conditions, in an attempt to brighten up colors, yet the difference in texture quality is that big, that it is better overall, for every condition...

Sargo likes this.
  6. Elgrappadura
    Donut Dec 29, 2018

Elgrappadura , Dec 29, 2018 :
    well, it depends on the personal preference of taking pictures,I'd say.

the GCam port is definitely way improved over the stock app in SOME manners, though.

for instance, if you use the front facing camera in portrait mode.
    you may try that out on your own by taking a selfie with each app and compare them side by side.

according to my experience I can tell that the GCam port reproduces much more detailed and clearer details whereas the stock camera creates a more "smooth" outcome with a softer appealing. you can tell by zooming in into details such as beards or hair in general. GCam is capable of separating fine hair and other details (unwanted ones, like pores and imperfections too,tough) much better.

despite this benefit over the stock cam, I often find my self using both apps and switching through them all the time.

the stock camera takes more natural and smooth pictures, the GCam more punchy and crisp ones.

alanthomas110 likes this.
  7. Telyx
    Froyo Dec 31, 2018

Telyx , Dec 31, 2018 :
    The GCam port has the option to turn Denoise off, which preserves finer detail at the possible expense of noise in the image. That's something I've been looking for in the OP6T. I have used a few 3rd-party camera apps (Snap Camera HD, Open Camera, FreeDCam, etc.) for years in other phones because they have the Denoise-Off option, but when I turn denoise off in any of those apps in the OP6T the viewfinder image becomes a mess of streaks if the camera or anything in the scene moves (like the screen doesn't refresh but just keeps adding to what it sees); if I turn denoise on at any level that problem goes away but the app applies a lot of NR. The stock OnePlus camera app seems to use a lot less noise reduction but it's still apparent in some scenes.

8. albertrix2000
    Gingerbread Jan 1, 2019

G_tony_bell_fQrX likes this.
  9. G_tony_bell_fQrX
    Cupcake Jan 1, 2019

10. W1544588306666
    Froyo Jan 1, 2019

W1544588306666 , Jan 1, 2019 :
    I have both installed. there are times when one is better than the other depending on the type of scenery

11. ohynek
    Eclair Jan 1, 2019

ohynek , Jan 1, 2019 :
    This is my first OnePlus phone and I'm blow away by quality of the stock camera. I always use gcam port on my previous phones but with this one I don't need to. Sometimes gcam results in better picture but overall is stock as good as gcam.

12. ankit.priye
    Froyo Jan 1, 2019

ankit.priye , Jan 1, 2019 :
    gcam is just much saturating the image
    and
    oneplus stock camera is taking just brighter photos

13. Makhija27
    Gingerbread Jan 1, 2019

14. vhyper03
    Cupcake Jan 1, 2019

vhyper03 , Jan 1, 2019 :
    I tried to download the gcam is better than 1+ but it has some bug sometimes it doesn't save in your gallery after taking photos

eliamarisio and InfaMender like this.
  15. ritzii09
    Donut Jan 1, 2019

ritzii09 , Jan 1, 2019 :
    i use both. love taking portraits on gcam they look more natural, pictures from stock camera look more exposed, and during evening shots it makes pictures more warmer. over all stock camera pictures are not as crispy as gcam, but i hvnt totally switched to gcam for now. attaching two daylight shots from stock camera and gcam.
    1546349685726.jpg

1546349884491.jpg

Attached Files:

_Roger_ likes this.
  16. lpadvisor
    Froyo Jan 2, 2019

lpadvisor , Jan 2, 2019 :
    I have both the stock and Gcam apps. Taking same picture with both apps I find little difference in image quality that i can tell. The GCam app is slower to open and slight lag when taking pictures. I mostly stick with the stock app.

17. NMD2018
    Honeycomb Jan 2, 2019

NMD2018 , Jan 2, 2019 :
    GCAM all the way!
    Sometimes I'll have to deal with the APP crashing but it doesn't bother me though.

I only use Oneplus Cam for 4K Video.

18. W1544707008350
    Eclair Jan 2, 2019

W1544707008350 , Jan 2, 2019 :
    Probably same as other users. I use both stock and GCam. The only thing that really bothers me is why OnePlus can't develop software them selves that will be way superior or have a collaboration with Google?

19. misfitpierce
    Froyo Jan 3, 2019

misfitpierce , Jan 3, 2019 :
    Depends what your doing but I prefer the stock cam as even in low light I use pro mode and take long exposures. That said OnePlus does it by keeping a natural look in nightscape, gcam is building on HDR techniques which causes photos to look cartoony often at night and colors way blown out. I prefer a natural look.

20. InfaMender
    Froyo Jan 3, 2019

InfaMender , Jan 3, 2019 :
    Same here, along with the app not opening when chosen as default to the camera shortcut button.