Stories from the Community: Ground Zero Rom and Martin

1. David Y. Global Community Manager Staff Member Jun 12, 2019

David Y., Jun 12, 2019 :
    Hey everyone,

In this digital era, we’re so used to virtual interactions that it’s easy to become detached and forget that there is a real person with a real life on the other side of the screen. A few weeks ago, Char_G, from Ground Zero ROMs (GZR) reached out to us through out Twitter account to tell us the story of one of those people, Martin Coulon (@martinusbe).

Ground Zero ROMs is no stranger to OnePlus. @Chris dB had this to say about the group, more than two years ago:

Martin is also a known name to us. He joined the forums back in 2014 and helped maintaining several Custom ROMs for the OnePlus One, 2, X, and 3 / 3T. He was even one of the first to join our Developer seeding program when it first started. It was of course with great regret that we learned about Martin’s health condition from Char_G.

Martin was diagnosed small cell lung cancer last December and has been fighting it ever since. He has been sharing his journey on his personal blog here. More than raising awareness to his disease or send our thoughts and prayers, we want to recognize Martin for his passion towards the ROM developing scene and particularly towards OnePlus. We know it might not be much, but you have our sincere gratitude for the time you’ve dedicated to GRZ and our devices.

If you, like us, want to thank Martin or just want to send some positive vibes his way, be sure to leave your comments below.

2. Martin Bonnet Gingerbread Jun 12, 2019

Martin Bonnet, Jun 12, 2019 :
    Wow we have the same name, but this Martin is awesome ! I'm also very interested in all kind of custom ROMs and tweaking my phone in general, but I would never be able to develop a ROM !

Félicitations Martin, reste fort et continue a faire ce que tu aimes jusqu'au bout ! Il y aura toujours des gens pour te soutenir !

Malavita47, NateDev, manuel19 and 5 others like this.
  3. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Jun 12, 2019

dsmonteiro, Jun 12, 2019 :
    While we've never met, I've keep hearing great things about you, first from @Adam Krisko, then from a fellow GZR member and finally from a dev seeding program member.

There's no way around it, @martinusbe. Cancer sucks. Keep giving it hell.

4. scoobyjenkins Cupcake Jun 12, 2019

scoobyjenkins, Jun 12, 2019 :
    Martin has always been very patient with me as a tester, encouraging with my graphics contributions and a lot of fun to be around in GZR chats. GZR wouldn't be the same without him and I'm very happy to see him get some recognition here. We love ya Marty!

5. Abalam1980 Donut Jun 12, 2019

Abalam1980, Jun 12, 2019 :
    I know nothing bad to say about our Martin. On the contrary, it is a gentleman patient someone who likes to guide people in the field of android. He also has a heart of gold outside the hobby. When I heard that he was diagnosed with cancer, I had to swallow. This does not make him pathetic, on the contrary! Great respect for this man !!

6. hardwareadictos Eclair Jun 12, 2019

hardwareadictos, Jun 12, 2019 :
    Im on Android and on GZR team learning from day to day thanks to him, all I know comes from him. It's my mentor. Nothing more to say [e]1f60a[/e]

7. David Y. Global Community Manager Staff Member Jun 12, 2019

David Y., Jun 12, 2019 :
    A big shout out to @dsmonteiro who has been staying close with Char_G and shared Martin's story with the team. Our full respect to Martin and his fearlessness.

8. Char_Gee Cupcake Jun 12, 2019

Char_Gee, Jun 12, 2019 :
    Yes, thank you so much @dsmonteiro , it's been wonderful to work with you on this. It's hard to put into words just how much @martinusbe means to us at GZR. I'll never forget the day I met Martin, I'd posted in a Moto G community on G+, looking for someone to help me test blind builds our lead dev was building. I set him up with the first build, and a couple of days later, he came back and linked me to his own build, with the bugs fixed. I was Martin's tester after that ❤️

9. SoniaB Nougat Senior Moderator Jun 12, 2019

10. Ruby G. NA Community Manager Staff Member Jun 12, 2019

Ruby G., Jun 12, 2019 :
    Martin! Thank you for the impact that you've had on our community. We've never gotten to chat personally, but I know your passion for you work and who you are as a person are both held in high esteem by many friends here.

11. Aks41179 Jelly Bean Jun 12, 2019

Aks41179, Jun 12, 2019 :
    @martinusbe
    I've been using your GZR builds from the time I got my hands on OnePlus 2 and never looked back. I remember when I used to get stuck somewhere or had any bugs and Martin always helped me and entire GZR community. For me, GZR = Martin [e]1f60a[/e]
    I'd only say this - You Rock and I know you will keep giving it hell. Keep rocking and keep fighting. We all are with you!

B_Wrath, manuel19, Char_Gee and 4 others like this.
  12. Santi_SAZ Gingerbread Jun 12, 2019

manuel19, Surge1223, Char_Gee and 3 others like this.
  13. Saliou Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 12, 2019

Saliou, Jun 12, 2019 :
    Thank you very much for this information @David Y.

Special concern to you @martinusbe for GZR, I've always loved the Customs Roms and it's to such initiatives that we have had the excellent OxygenOS

Also thanks to @Char_G @Chris dB, it's always important to never forget those who give their all for the community.

Good recovery Martin Coulon

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019

B_Wrath, manuel19, Surge1223 and 3 others like this.
  14. script Nougat Moderator Jun 12, 2019

15. Surge1223 Cupcake Jun 12, 2019

Surge1223, Jun 12, 2019 :
    Though we've only crossed paths a few times development wise, I have came to respect and appreciate Martin for a lot of reasons, mostly because he keeps the same avatar, name and handle. To me the clown avatar is now associated with him.

I remember a time when there was an sepolicy denial with registering substratum service to the system server and Martin brought it up. I wasn't sure how exactly to fix the issue, I noticed Martin eventually fixed it and the way he/gzr made the change helped me with another issue I was working on at the time.

There's a list of maybe 20 people I will cherry-pick from without having to check or be worried about any issues. Martin is one of the people on that list.

martinusbe, manuel19, SoniaB and 3 others like this.
  16. Helder_DAlmeida Gingerbread Jun 12, 2019

SoniaB, Saliou and Char_Gee like this.
  17. Beatriz Robledo Cupcake Jun 12, 2019

Beatriz Robledo, Jun 12, 2019 :
    What to say about our big clown...we are a family, we laugh, cry, drink, test and vape with him. We are clowns, wolfies always tipsy and with all the energy!! :cool:

18. Afzal Khan KitKat Jun 12, 2019

Afzal Khan, Jun 12, 2019 :
    I tried GZR on my OPO and it was a really cool ROM with some great features. I am literally blown away by this news..my best wishes to you man.. @martinusbe

I hope you will eliminate all the cancer bugs like you do with your ROM bugs and come out as a winner.

B_Wrath, Char_Gee and SoniaB like this.
  19. meatandy Oreo Jun 12, 2019

meatandy, Jun 12, 2019 :
    Best wishes and continue fighting @martinusbe

20. ddhbanger Honeycomb Jun 12, 2019

ddhbanger, Jun 12, 2019 :
    Such fond memories of the early days of TipsyOS.
    @Martinsube one of the truly nice guys of the Dev world!

manuel19 and Char_Gee like this.