Story of OnePlus 9 Design via OnePlus 9 Pro Morning Mist

1. Hope L.
    Chief Designer Staff Member Apr 19, 2021

Hope L. , via OnePlus 9 Pro Morning Mist , Apr 19, 2021 :
    When we began designing the OnePlus 9, we wanted its colors to stand as a positive expression.

To bring this design concept into realization, and into each person’s own hands, while also satisfying the most exacting aesthetic standards, meant that we needed to find the optimal balance between hand feel, quality, and finishing.

And so that’s exactly what we did. Each design variant for the OnePlus 9 evinces a certain quality, one that draws the eye again and again. And when you pick it up and actually have it in hand, you will quite literally be able to feel the innovative and refined finishing right at your fingertips.

Arctic Blue
    No matter what angle you look at it from, the Arctic Blue always presents a pure, flawless look.

artic blue.jpeg

The reason for that is that the Arctic Blue is composed of an inner color film and an outer layer of glass, both of which have undergone a matte frosted polishing. It’s a marked improvement on the common problem of color distortion found in matte glass when viewed at an angle.

Astral Black
    When we decided to bring a glossy black design to the OnePlus 9, the first thing we considered was the tendency of glossy finishes to collect fingerprint smudges. We addressed that by making use of a new, refractive finishing film, which helps to dispel the appearance of fingerprints.

astral black.jpg

Winter Mist
    If the Arctic Blue and Astral Black versions were attempts to replicate colors out of nature, the Winter Mist design was a venture into something more imaginative, creating a strong visual contrast.

The Winter Mist’s glass back transitions subtly from a misty to a mirror finish, and it was that exact transition that presented a challenge in production. In order to achieve it, we needed nanometer-grade processing, surpassing anything that had been done before.

After plenty of experimentation, we finally set our sights on a machine that could do what we hoped: the very same photolithography machine as is used for crafting processors.

This was the first time that OnePlus had put photolithographic techniques to the task of finishing a color film. We used an advanced algorithm to control the etching process so that the transition from the misted to the mirror surface flows perfectly.

Winter Mist.png

Also, when you view it in full light, you’ll discover a vertical grain that was set into the glass deliberately and reminiscent of the trails of falling stars. It gives a sense of movement to still light and makes the Winter Mist something truly exceptional.

The Secret to Extraordinary Hand Feel
    Perfect finishing goes hand in hand with visual elegance, but it also has to consider the comfort of the material. This means that there is a subtle but important connection between the quality of balanced design and hand feel. And to manage that connection, we approached it with new thinking from multiple angles.

The middle frame of the OnePlus 9 is built from an aluminum-magnesium alloy, injection-molded into one piece, and then bonded with fiberglass to create a structure that is at once robust, dependable, and lightweight.

structure.jpg

Our designers fully accounted for the material difference between the fiberglass and glass back by stringently controlling the smoothness of the fiberglass surface and adding a premium glossy look through our customized NCVM coating.

This procedure adds the cost substantially, but we felt there could be no compromise in ensuring that the frame and back joined together in one cohesive body.

interior.jpg

We also made sure to shift the position of the battery downwards to create better balance in the center, making the device more comfortable to hold. And in every other facet, from the corner of the display to the middle frame and around to the back, we designed at the micrometer level to get seamless, sinuous curves.

Of course, this is not all that went into the design of the OnePlus 9. In fact, there’s much more than the eye barely even sees.

Details like the Hasselblad logo in the rear camera module which, in order to make it stand out more, used photolithography machines to add texture much like in the Winter Mist design. Every letter quietly shimmers in the light, understated yet clear.

hasselblad logo.jpg
    (Texture of the Hasselblad logo in OnePlus 9’s rear camera module)

The OnePlus 9 moved industrial design innovations from concept to reality, including the design details you might even overlook. We hope that everyone can enjoy the extraordinary qualities of the OnePlus 9, and find something tranquil, even restorative, in its studied, genuine design.

2. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Apr 19, 2021

Tokolozi , Apr 19, 2021 :
    So you are the reason I'm still waiting for my PS5!?

Jokes aside, the winter mist color looks stunning. I may be the green guy, but purple is my close second.

ar79, otto2, Solace_Serenity and 17 others like this.
  3. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Apr 19, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 19, 2021 :
    I gotta say this, @Hope L.'s team is the only team which has impressed me in the 9 Series 😉
    Keep it up CMF and ID team! 🙂
    Looking forward to see some BTS finishes in any upcoming thread also 😎
    I love the Arctic Blue finish btw 😀

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021

4. SRD.
    Lollipop Apr 19, 2021

SRD. , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 19, 2021 :
    CMF of Oneplus 9 series is just Wow!
    A big thanks to you for the Pine green. It truly deserve some applause.
    "Inspired by Nature " is something I love the most. .A good read @Hope L.

5. meatandy
    Oreo Apr 19, 2021

meatandy , Apr 19, 2021 :
    Nothing says you can't wear purple in private.:rolleyes:
    :p

Hasantha_94, otto2, TibiTibi and 10 others like this.
  6. Tokolozi

I'm wearing a purple shirt right now ;)

7. SRD.
    Lollipop Apr 19, 2021

SRD. , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 19, 2021 :
    I can see you run wearing a Purple trouse/towel😜.

8. meatandy
    Oreo Apr 19, 2021

meatandy , Apr 19, 2021 :
    I was hoping a Lab reviewer would have mentioned the trails of falling stars in their reviews.

otto2, TibiTibi, northbay5566 and 4 others like this.
  9. Immi007
    Gingerbread Apr 19, 2021

10. NoviceAide
    Honeycomb Apr 19, 2021

NoviceAide , via OnePlus 6 , Apr 19, 2021 :
    I hope the back panel and the phone cover of OnePlus 9 series is sturdier than the 8t series. Mine got cracked in a single fall even when the silicon back cover was on .☹️☹️☹️
    Edited: thanks to @Tokolozi
    1618840831513.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021

11. Tokolozi

That sucks, looks like it dropped right on a raised/corner there.

I do suggest you remove the part of the image that shows your IMEI though.... you wouldn't want that falling in the wrong hands. Hell I would say remove the sticker completely and store it somewhere safely.

12. thechangingtime
    Honeycomb Apr 19, 2021

thechangingtime , Apr 19, 2021 :
    I suggest you use a stronger protective case especially if you intend to keep your phone for the next 2-3 years when you acquire it brand new. There are some decent strong protective cases for the OnePlus phones.

13. NoviceAide
    Honeycomb Apr 19, 2021

Thanks, corrected the image. But it already ' fell from the wrong hands' ....😉

14. NoviceAide
    Honeycomb Apr 19, 2021

Yup, the default one that came in the box is no good

15. P1618829612423
    Donut Apr 19, 2021

P1618829612423 , via OnePlus 9R , Apr 19, 2021 :
    I received my OnePlus 9R today and from the time i started setting up phone...it started overheating & it is constant problem. Whenever i use it even for normal purpose it starts to overheating. Poor quality from OnePlus... disappointed ☹️

michaelliao07 and Thenickclicks like this.
  16. G_plusone
    Nougat Apr 19, 2021

VeDxnTa, drl431, northbay5566 and 2 others like this.
  17. GitarthBorchetia
    Gingerbread Apr 19, 2021

AerySyz and michaelliao07 like this.
  18. jalalklk
    Donut Apr 19, 2021

19. O. Priya
    Honeycomb Apr 19, 2021

itsmerahulgautam likes this.
  20. itsmerahulgautam
    Gingerbread Apr 19, 2021