Other Study mode

1. Starcommander
    Lollipop Mar 5, 2020

Starcommander , Mar 5, 2020 :
    20200305_203352_0000.png

As a student I often use my mobile device to :
    1. Copy notes from pdf.
    2. Prepare for the exam using my oneplus.
    The continuous notification, whatsapp groups results in loss of focus and concentration. Frequent turning off of the screen is a big problem while taking down notes.

Current solution :

The solution was to use focus mode of digital wellbeing. However the screen keeps on dimming after the set display timeout period. If I have to copy some assignments or take the notes from a phone to a book, first thing is to go to:
    settings>display>timeout>30 mins
    My solution
    My idea is to get study mode handle this problem. This study mode will also automatically detect the games installed in the phone and block them. On the basis of user, it can also restrict social networking during study hours. A countdown timer will be shown in status bar which will remind a student of his time left for studies.
    To summarise :
    create a study mode which prevent the screen from turning off, prevent apps from disturbing, turn on the reading mode and a small timer to remind you of how much time is left for study mode to stop.

How it will work
    1583410119324.jpg

1583410125931.jpg

1583410130790.jpg

1583410135393.jpg

It is basically clubbing together focus mode, reading mode as well as controlling display timeout under the feature called study mode.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020

2. Gary C.
    OxygenOS Operations Staff Member Apr 16, 2020

Stickied Post
    Gary C. , Apr 16, 2020 :
    [Not Adopted]

Thank you so much for your idea. There are some interesting concepts, bur after giving it a second thought, there is some overlap to some already existing features like do not disturb mode, reading mode, screen lock and timer that can satisfy your needs. Yet we do draw inspiration from your input.

We couldn't agree with you more: in some cases, users manually set the screen light duration to 30 minutes and forget to change it back. We will consider this in conjunction with the reading mode.

At the same time, you mention that you hope the system will prevent some apps from launching, like games and social apps. We might consider designing similar features in future Zen Mode.

All in all, we probably won't launch a dedicated learning mode. But thank you very much for the advice. It gives us more insight and inspiration. We will consider this in conjunction with other applications.

Learn more about how your Idea flows within OnePlus

being_nabnit and Starcommander like this.
  3. Jonas_k.
    Eclair Mar 5, 2020

4. Prof.ashutosh
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 5, 2020

5. Starcommander
    Lollipop Mar 5, 2020

Thanks guys

G_plusone and Jonas_k. like this.
  6. Batman360
    Lollipop Mar 5, 2020

Batman360 , Mar 5, 2020 :
    Nice thought but there's only something's that oneplus can do studying or not studying is in the hands of the users tbh😂 Instead of suggesting new features you could go and study😂 just saying😂 But you already have digital wellbeing, focus mode , zen mode, work life balance, don't you think study mode will be just some tweak to those? instead they could just apply what you suggested in their already existing software like in focus mode.

7. Starcommander
    Lollipop Mar 5, 2020

Well the main aim it control display timeout.
    If you are a student especially engineering student :
    4 years : 500+ handwritten assignments,
    Pdf of easy solutions, techmax before exam day,
    100+ lab manuals, all are now digital copies.

The problem I face is, the screen will either timeout after a particular interval, or if I change the timeout manually, I forget to change it back to normal.

This will be helpful in focusing, Saving the display from continously staying on while not studying and also saving environment by shifting to more pdf than books.

People use books so as not to get disturbed. However, if they get a mode which can replicate a book in same manner, I am sure people will love it

8. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Mar 5, 2020

9. Starcommander
    Lollipop Mar 5, 2020

Helder_DAlmeida and Dresa91 like this.
  10. Batman360 , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Mar 5, 2020 :
    I feel you, been there done that[e]1f602[/e] After that phase i started keeping my device's screen on time to 30mins by default now. But yeah the assignment pages, scanned notes, could be categorised in an organised way using the software.

Starcommander likes this.
  11. Starcommander
    Lollipop Mar 5, 2020

That might fall under 3rd party. But my focus was to solve the screen out problem we engineering students face.

Helder_DAlmeida and Aakash360 like this.
  12. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Mar 5, 2020

Starcommander likes this.
  13. Steve 2000
    Donut Mar 5, 2020

Attached Files:

G_plusone and Starcommander like this.
  14. Starcommander
    Lollipop Mar 5, 2020

Yes, Infact there was a solution by cyanogen mod team too. It was called caffeine.
    Only thing is, study mode will club the features of say focus mode, gaming mode, kinscreen and create a universal solution to aforementioned problems.

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.
  15. Deactivated User
    Mar 5, 2020

16. Starcommander
    Lollipop Mar 5, 2020

Glad you liked this idea!

18. Starcommander
    Lollipop Mar 5, 2020

Thank you. Its always a pleasure to read such nice comments from you and Dresa 😊

19. Mark Falsing
    Jelly Bean Moderator Mar 5, 2020

20. Starcommander
    Lollipop Mar 5, 2020

Helder_DAlmeida and Mark Falsing like this.
  21. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Mar 5, 2020