OxygenOS Sudden death after android pie upgrade yesterday

1. mikael1960
    Cupcake Jun 17, 2019

mikael1960 , Jun 17, 2019 :
    Hi,
    Yesterday evening, i upgraded my 3t to pie.
    I always turn on "flight mode" when i go to sleep.
    This morning - 3t is dead. No sign of life.
    When charging - no sign of life - no light turned on to show charging.

looks like hw is dead - but i would like to know if others have seen similar problem.

thanks in advance,
    Mike

2. konankav
    Cupcake Jun 18, 2019

konankav , Jun 18, 2019 :
    I didn't have any problem with the update. it's everything ok now, or the problem continues?

3. M1560839319574
    Cupcake Jun 18, 2019

M1560839319574 , Jun 18, 2019 :
    Dame tot me, after upgrading my phone has lost the sound, it's set only on vibrations and I can not get this out (see the attachment).

Attached Files:

4. MoD1977
    Cupcake Jun 19, 2019

MoD1977 , Jun 19, 2019 :
    Same here, was running the beta with some small issues (lagging sometimes) and updated 2 days ago to the final pie rom.
    Today out off the blue it died. Doesn't turn on anymore.
    Had it on the charger for a while tried to reboot it but it doesnt react to anything.

5. Nimrodimus
    Cupcake Jun 19, 2019

Nimrodimus , Jun 19, 2019 :
    I've had the exact same problem, right after updating to pie. I put the phone on airplane mode with full battery before going to bed and the next morning it appeared completely dead. I charged for a while, which seemed to do nothing.

I the tried to reboot it by holding the power button for maybe 10 to 20 seconds, which worked. It came back to life with about 30% battery.

The next night I put it again in flight mode and the same thing happened again. Completely dead and the battery had gone from full to 50% in 6 hours.

The battery usage indicator doesn't show what happened, like it was shut off completely but it stille used a lot of battery.

I now refrain from using airplane mode because i fear some process is going haywire while in airplane mode to the degree that the phone shuts itself off completely.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019

G_Amit_Jain_wBCq likes this.
  6. megamatz
    Cupcake Jun 20, 2019

megamatz , Jun 20, 2019 :
    Same problem with my Oneplus3. I put it in airplane mode over night and battery completely dead in the morning.

Attached Files:

7. rlees85
    Eclair Jun 20, 2019

rlees85 , Jun 20, 2019 :
    also having this problem. I think its at the firmware level as using 9.0.3 blobs on lineageos has exactly the same problem. The phone will kernel panic approx 2 minutes after going to sleep in airplane mode and if left will run the battery to 0 pretty quickly. Only way to restore is by long press power off. I've downgraded to 5.0.8 using EDL

8. megamatz
    Cupcake Jun 20, 2019

megamatz , Jun 20, 2019 :
    Guess I need to downgrade. Do you know if it`s possible without factory reset so I can keep all my apps and photos?

9. rlees85
    Eclair Jun 20, 2019

10. adnorris
    Cupcake Jun 20, 2019

adnorris , Jun 20, 2019 :
    Is charging with dash charger the only confirmed recovery for this?

I'm away from home at the moment on business..I went into a meeting and put phone in airplane mode, meeting ended and phone was dead dead dead. Relieved to read I'm not alone.

My dash charger is at home, so I guess I'm stuck until I get home. Unless there is another way to get it back to life? I only have a car charger with me at the moment.

11. rlees85
    Eclair Jun 20, 2019

rlees85 , Jun 20, 2019 :
    You need to hold the power button for 10 seconds or so. After this try to power on, failing that attach the car charger (that will be fine, doesn't need to be dash charger). You just need to "hard power off" first as your phone is probably on just frozen.

Really interested why enough people are having this problem to rule out it being just my hardware but not enough people having the issue for it to have been picked up much earlier.

12. adnorris
    Cupcake Jun 20, 2019

adnorris , Jun 20, 2019 :
    Thank you! Gave it half an hour on the car charger and tried to turn on....success.

Wont be using airplane mode again!

13. JupiterJonas
    Cupcake Jun 20, 2019

JupiterJonas , Jun 20, 2019 :
    Hi,
    I have an similar problem.
    I turned off my device and on the next day,
    i have started it, but i cant use the desktop.
    So if i scroll down and enter the options, i can use my phone but
    if i try to visit the desktop it wont work.
    Do you think there is an future update to solve this problems?

14. rlees85
    Eclair Jun 21, 2019

rlees85 , Jun 21, 2019 :
    I think no as its unusual (but good!) as oneplus is supporting a 3 year old device. That said this update is so botched I think they must have to fix it or at least offer people a decent discount on a oneplus 7. My oneplus 3 was absolutely perfect before the update (and is perfect again after downgrading!) but for a normal user downgrading is not possible.

Have you tried rebooting to get desktop back? If not you might need to wipe in which case you are better to just downgrade.

15. Shashank H
    Gingerbread Jun 22, 2019

Shashank H , Jun 22, 2019 :
    for all those who are facing this issue your motherboard is damage and it's not a SOFTWARE problem i had exact same issue in oreo and had to change motherboard

16. Nimrodimus
    Cupcake Jun 22, 2019

Nimrodimus , Jun 22, 2019 :
    Are you sure this is the same problem? The phone works fine for me, aside from the Airplane Mode issue (and a larger battery drain over all) after upgrading.
    I hope not as this would mean the pie update actually damaged the hardware and downgrading would then maybe not be a solution anymore.

17. Shashank H
    Gingerbread Jun 22, 2019

18. Shashank H
    Gingerbread Jun 22, 2019

what if you don't put it on airplane mode

19. Nimrodimus
    Cupcake Jun 22, 2019

Nimrodimus , Jun 22, 2019 :
    It would function fine, but I would have to charge again in the morning, with the current battery drain on pie. I wouldn't make ik through the day otherwise.

My current solution is to turn it off completely now for the night.

20. Shashank H
    Gingerbread Jun 22, 2019

i guess it's a different issue from what mikael posted