suggest best settings to get excellent battery backup

1. kcpatel83
    Gingerbread Jan 30, 2015

kcpatel83 , Jan 30, 2015 :
    Hi,

I was iPhone 5S user and just switched to the One.
    i use my phone high to extreme.

I switched to the one because of reviewed about one having excellent battery life.
    But i am still experiencing similar to iPhone 5S (have to charge almost every 8 hours).

Can you guys suggest best settings to get excellent battery backup. For example, i am ok with charging at night.

Also i observe that the one takes too long to charge compared to iPhone. May be because it has bigger battery, but i observe like 2-3 hours to fully charge from 40%.
    Is it an issue?

2. noobtubed1875
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 30, 2015

3. JJ69YT
    Honeycomb Jan 30, 2015

JJ69YT , Jan 30, 2015 :
    It takes 80 mins for me to fully charge
    Using and aftermarket charger though

4. JBowes
    Gingerbread Jan 30, 2015

JBowes , Jan 30, 2015 :
    charge it in cycles, as it is a lithium ion battery- e.g charge from 10% or less to 100%, and keep it consistent (try not to stop charging before it has hit 100%, and try and start the charge at the same % each time, say every time it hits around about 10%).

Also you can add the option in your quick options to change it from normal, performace and power saver - power saver limits the amount of power the cpu can use, so may make high performance games lag, but normal use should be fine

Switch to aeroplane mode in low signal areas

Turn off apps you aren't using

Turn off gps etc when not using, as well as bluetooth

Turn down brightness when possible

And possibly download an app such as the snapdragon batter guru, or greenify.

I use no apps, but manage to get about two days of use out of the phone, that is playing emulated games (pokemon), listening to music and browsing :)

Edit: Use the official charger, and also it charges from 1% to 50% faster than 50% to 100%, so bear that in mind, but still only takes me about 2 hours

DaiMinzz likes this.
  5. tim_1989
    Froyo Jan 30, 2015

tim_1989 , Jan 30, 2015 :
    You may want to try rooting and putting a custom ROM/kernel on. Slimkat or slimlp is good. On slim lp I was getting 2 days + quite easily. Once rooted download greenify. You can set it up to hibernate apps, stopping them using the battery.

If you want to get really technical, use a ROM/kernel that allows CPU control. You can lower the processor speed slightly, amongst other settings. You can balance it so you still get good performance but also get excellent battery life! Try looking in the development section for tips and guides on rooting

6. Erik-S
    Donut Jan 30, 2015

Erik-S , Jan 30, 2015 :
    Mine takes less than 2 hours to charge from <5% to 100%. I use the standard One Plus Charger.
    If your on screen time is also 8 hours, I would be very happy with battery life.

7. manjake
    Gingerbread Jan 30, 2015

manjake , Jan 30, 2015 :
    WOAH! why do people misinformation. You couldn't be more wrong! Deep discharge cycles are DREADFUL for lithiu-ion batteries. Ideally plug in before 40% and try to take it off charge when full

8. JBowes
    Gingerbread Feb 1, 2015

JBowes , Feb 1, 2015 :
    100% wrong ahaha,the phone has a lithium-ion battery, not a nickel cadmium.
    Due to the charge cycle being regulated by an on-board circuit, a full discharge doesn't even affect the battery, so charge it up from 0% each time if you want, the thing is just to be consistent with when you start to charge.
    Also if you charge from 40%, that means you will lose a day of battery use that you could have pulled out of it before charging.

So manjake, don't tell someone they are wrong when all you quote is some dad-science that you have not checked up on :)

mariob likes this.
  9. Vadomata
    Jelly Bean Feb 1, 2015

Vadomata , Feb 1, 2015 :
    It's not very healthy for the battery to drive it to 0%, infact it can kill the battery.

manjake likes this.
  10. JBowes
    Gingerbread Feb 1, 2015

JBowes , Feb 1, 2015 :
    Again you're talking about nickel-cadmium or lead based batteries.
    If you store the battery for months at 0%, it may break it and make it unable to charge again, but if you don't store it, there is no issue :)
    I don't recommend waiting for 0%, but no harm is done.

People please check up on you battery information please ;)

Edit: Noticed the double please, keeping it in because seriously batteries have changed a lot since the days of if it hits 0% that's it dead

11. skmonu
    Eclair Feb 1, 2015

skmonu , Feb 1, 2015 :
    just off the location services and turn on auto brightness this will give u a squeezing but not draining the liquid of phone that is battery:);)

12. K.T.O
    Cupcake Feb 1, 2015

13. manjake
    Gingerbread Feb 1, 2015

manjake , Feb 1, 2015 :
    You are the one who is taking about nicad batteries. Full discharges are bad for lithium-ion

14. manjake
    Gingerbread Feb 1, 2015

manjake , Feb 1, 2015 :

15. manjake
    Gingerbread Feb 1, 2015

16. Vadomata
    Jelly Bean Feb 1, 2015

Vadomata , Feb 1, 2015 :
    Not talking about Nickel cadium/lead batteries.

17. kpaton
    Honeycomb Feb 1, 2015

kpaton , Feb 1, 2015 :
    If you pull down and you get the quick notifications, you can add one tile called performance profile and it allows you to chose performance, balanced, or battery and it really helps. Also I installed clean master and battery doctor and it helps a ton

18. urbancoqui
    Froyo Feb 1, 2015

manjake likes this.
  19. JBowes
    Gingerbread Feb 2, 2015

JBowes , Feb 2, 2015 :
    Hmm, maybe I was mistaken then, but I just thought Wikipedia etc would be more legitimate than this how to geek article, but w/e

Well I don't mean to be rude but maybe brush up on your knowledge :)

Essentially lithium ions were designed, as far as I know, so that deep discharge cycles were not an issue, and anyone who has a nickel-cadmium battery (especially within a car) would understand the struggle - that if their battery hit 0% they had to get a new one.

But what do I know, dad-science is real-science :)

20. hpz364
    Gingerbread Feb 2, 2015