Suggestion: introduce battery charge limit

1. izzykasha
    Lollipop Jun 3, 2018

izzykasha , Jun 3, 2018 :
    actually the latest info says small amounts and often but who can be bothered.

If you want an alert at 80%+ install accubattery app

2. Nick 59
    Lollipop Jun 3, 2018

Nick 59 , Jun 3, 2018 :
    No mention anywhere of stopping charge at 85% is there?
    Read the whole article and remember the battery management software slows charging at 80% and stops at 100% so no 'damage' to battery.
    Any reputable source to back up your claim?

Matt 80 likes this.
  3. DenyDarko
    Honeycomb Jun 3, 2018

DenyDarko , Jun 3, 2018 :
    I never claimed any number.

4. Nick 59
    Lollipop Jun 3, 2018

Nick 59 , Jun 3, 2018 :
    No specific percentage but:

What are these "limit {margins}" you think will extend battery life then?​

Matt 80 likes this.
  5. DenyDarko
    Honeycomb Jun 3, 2018

DenyDarko , Jun 3, 2018 :

Nick 59

No specific percentage but:

What are these "limit {margins}" you think will extend battery life then?

Margins means what your source says:

Not 100% full. Just that.
    Even 95% is fine by me as I don't have any sources mentioning numbers.

There is a reason I haven't used any percentage.

6. Nick 59
    Lollipop Jun 3, 2018

Nick 59 , Jun 3, 2018 :
    Well, you're sorted then. BMS stops charging at 100%.[e]1f609[/e]
    There is some interesting stuff in that article but the main point I take from it are that is is not the charge % that matters but the number of charge cycles. Hence stopping charge at any particle number makes no sense whatsoever.

Matt 80 likes this.
  7. d3funct
    Gingerbread Jun 3, 2018

8. mlpjunior
    Donut Jun 3, 2018

9. mlpjunior
    Donut Jun 3, 2018

mlpjunior , Jun 3, 2018 :

Nick 59

No mention anywhere of stopping charge at 85% is there?
    Read the whole article and remember the battery management software slows charging at 80% and stops at 100% so no 'damage' to battery.
    Any reputable source to back up your claim?​

You're right, they actually recommend stopping at 80%. Good catch! [e]1f44d[/e]

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/do_and_dont_battery_table

Edit: Scroll down the table to the "How to prolong battery" section. It states that lithium-ion batteries should be kept in a SoC (State of Charge) of 30%-80%.

Schuwi likes this.
  10. motorhead12
    Eclair Jun 3, 2018

11. Nick 59
    Lollipop Jun 3, 2018

Nick 59 , Jun 3, 2018 :
    So, 25-85, 20-80, 35-85 or whatever damage battery but 30-80% doesn't?
    Why would that be? I can't find any evidence - can you?

Matt 80 likes this.
  12. Abhi Dahiya
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 3, 2018

Abhi Dahiya , Jun 3, 2018 :
    People aren't just getting it. When the battery nears 80-90% charge, there is already enough charge in it and pushing more charge in it means it being pushed hard or battery is tensed(that's how i call it).

There is a reason manufacturers considerably slow down charge speed after it crosses 60-65%. And i assume they know better than you people.
    Infact ever wondered why manufacturers ship phones with around 30-50% charge and not 0% or 100% ? That is because battery is in it's most relaxed state in that charge band. Phones being shipped out of assembly lines and reaching comsumers take days or more likely weeks. So to not have battery take any adverse effect, manufacturers try to play it safe.

Morover just install AccuBattery or some other app and check when your phone tells you that you have hit 100% charge and phone is fully charged, it actually still continues to take in charge for many more minutes as the app shows(even the OnePlus engineering mode shows). Phone shows to the user that it's fully charged but it's not. After those many minutes, phone actually stops taking in any kind of charge and that's when phone is actually fully charged rather than the numbers phone provides you.
    This is because manufacturers set an artificial early cutoff to prevent phone charging to actual 100% and prevent straining and degradation of the battery.

And yes, there is need for something in software that allows phone to cutoff charging when it reaches a stage set by user. This tech is offered in Sony Xperia phones by name Qnovo Tech. It is supposed to save battery health and make it run longer.
    In Sony's tech, when being charged overnight, phone cuts off charging at 90% and starts charging just half an hour before alarm time set by user. That way your phone's battery isn't overburdened through the night and you also get full charge in the phone as you wake up.

Keeping phone charged all the way up to 100% all through the night has adverse effects on battery health. At 100% battery is already in it's most tensed state and phone keeps pushing charge in small intervals and bursts to maintain 100% battery level. That causes constant pressure on battery as well as higher temperatures through energy loss via heat.

None of this is good at all for phone's battery. Most of the manufacturers don't care for battery health in our phones after they sell them. The faster battery degrades and loses charge capacity, the faster we upgrade and the better for manufacturers.

If you still have issues, researchers have done long term studies over lithium ion batteries, performed tests, published papers and concluded that batteries are more relaxed in 20-80% charge state, on either side of both spectrums there is considerably more stress.

Schuwi, david0601 and mlpjunior like this.
  13. Jawe1212
    Eclair Jun 3, 2018

Jawe1212 , Jun 3, 2018 :
    One plus phones use Li-Po. Not Li-Ion.

14. Loveit
    KitKat Jun 4, 2018

Loveit , Jun 4, 2018 :
    I hope my battery never gets into a tense state - the poor thing.

15. mlpjunior
    Donut Jun 4, 2018

16. Nick 59
    Lollipop Jun 4, 2018

17. Nick 59
    Lollipop Jun 4, 2018

18. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 4, 2018

Dunnow , Jun 4, 2018 :
    Actually batteries die after X amount of cycles... so... if you charge the battery to only 85% you will be charging more often, therefore, reducing the battery life sooner...

19. mlpjunior
    Donut Jun 5, 2018

mlpjunior , Jun 5, 2018 :
    This thread isn't very long but there are several sources that have been shared that disagree with your statement.

Schuwi likes this.
  20. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 5, 2018

elanglois , Jun 5, 2018 :
    You can just install Accubattery, but tell me

What's the point? After two years, your battery may wear down to only 85% of its original capacity. By only charging to 85%, your battery is down to 85% of its original capacity NOW.

My OnePlus One has it's original battery.

1528158356537.jpg
    Down to 83% after 4 years without any special charge limits. What's your goal?