Suggestion: introduce battery charge limit

1. Abhi Dahiya
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 5, 2018

Abhi Dahiya , Jun 5, 2018 :
    AccuBattery doesn't provide correct data just based on one charge cycle. It will radically change as you charge various times and it analyses data.
    See the result when it is based on at least a dozen charge cycles, it's useless otherwise.

mlpjunior likes this.
  2. apisarenco
    Gingerbread Jun 5, 2018

3. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 5, 2018

elanglois , Jun 5, 2018 :
    It doesn't get a good average with just one cycle? You don't say! No shit. Whats your point

4. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 5, 2018

There is a Magisk module that may do what you want

5. mlpjunior
    Donut Jun 5, 2018

mlpjunior , Jun 5, 2018 :

elanglois

It doesn't get a good average with just one cycle? You don't say! No shit. Whats your point​

You seemed to be making a conclusion on battery longevity based on a very limited data set (a single charge cycle of a single device). You might be right, but your data are too limited to make any claims. That's the point.

6. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 5, 2018

What are yo talking about?

If you mean that there is only a single cycle in the screenshot, that's because I don't keep the app running all the time. I don't need to because the battery status is the same as it was a month ago and a month before that.

Don't call me stupid, alright? I've been doing this stuff for years. Don't make me run the damn app for a month just to prove to you that the battery is still in the mid 80s. Batteries deteriorate rather quickly into the 80% range, but unless you are seriously abusing them, they then taper off and stay in that range for quite awhile.

My point is the same. Trying to conserve your battery life by only charging it to 80% means you are at 80% NOW, not in 2 years. What's the goal? Keep it at 80 for 8 years?

7. GopalB.
    Nougat Jun 5, 2018

GopalB. , Jun 5, 2018 :
    This thread is like a cancer now!!!
    Look, for those who thinks not full charge is better... Good... Keep that info with yourself and enjoy your lifetime battery!!! Coz I know you'll be using this phone for next 4-5 years...
    For those who don't believe in these things... Don't waste your time here... [​IMG]

8. mlpjunior
    Donut Jun 5, 2018

mlpjunior , Jun 5, 2018 :
    Nobody is making you run the app at all, nor calling you stupid. As I said before, I am open to the possibility that you may be right. But your evidence so far is insufficient to convince me of that.

Based on research I've seen, charging habits can make a difference in capacity of about a 10% after a year's worth of cycles. After a year owning a phone, I think it'd be worth having that extra 10% when I really need it (say, when traveling), even though most days I never get below 30%.

9. G_Mohammed_Sayeed_nJwg
    Eclair Nov 15, 2018

10. utk787
    Donut May 13, 2019

utk787 , May 13, 2019 :
    why dont you just keep quiet, that would reduce other people's work. To read trolls like you.

11. mladenijs
    Donut Jun 15, 2019

mladenijs , Jun 15, 2019 :
    I don't want my phone to "steal" power from my drone remote controller. So telling it to stop charging would really be a desired function. It would be great to tell the phone it's not allowed to charge itself and only maintain the battery level at 30% for example. In that way I will not run out of battery of my drone controller... I can imagine other applications where you don't want your phone to charge itself at the cost of another battery powered device.

12. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 16, 2019

elanglois , Jun 16, 2019 :
    Stop propogating this rediculous idea. You are not extending crap, just getting less use out of your battery

13. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 16, 2019

Don't unplug your phone! Why do you people do such silly things? Stop trying to outsmart your phone. You'll fail

14. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 16, 2019

drone controller? plug it somewhere else

15. mladenijs
    Donut Jun 16, 2019

mladenijs , Jun 16, 2019 :
    really? haha it's the remote controller that I am talking about that you have to connect to your phone to properly fly the drone... think about the DJI series drones...

16. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 16, 2019

it tries to power the phone?

17. mladenijs
    Donut Jun 16, 2019

yes, the controller, once connected charges the phone but the phone is very power hungry while the remote control doesn't have a very large battery. The remote control should use it's battery energy to fly the aircraft instead of charging the phone. As a result I get far shorter flight times because of the phone discharging the remote control. On top of that, this remote control does not quick charge so charging it takes a very long time. Not beneficial at all. I would be very happy to be able to turn off charging the phone on the phone itself.

I rooted previous phones so that I had full control over charging the battery to whatever level I liked. I don't want to root this phone because I don't want to loose L1 Widevine for being able to watch HDR and HD movies on Netflix... Alternatively I would like the OnePlus 7 pro to keep Level1 Widevine when unlocking and rooting the phone so that I can just root it and take care of all this charging issue by myself... but I don't see this happening.

18. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 16, 2019

There may be a way. I haven't tried it yet.

Basically, you use fastboot to unlock the bootloader and then upload your own signing keys. Then you root your boot image and sign it with those keys. Now you should be able to relock the bootloader and get widevine back, but you'll have to sign your own kernels at every update.

19. mladenijs
    Donut Jun 16, 2019

It would surprise me if this works.

https://www.androidauthority.com/widevine-explained-821935/

I unfortunately am not capable enough to try this procedure you are proposing, if not I would be willing to explore it of course!!!

20. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 16, 2019