Support for 6T users who want 7 pro

1. dermot33 Ice Cream Sandwich May 17, 2019 at 11:54 AM

dermot33, May 17, 2019 at 11:54 AM :
    I'm having a difficult time telling myself I don't need the 7 pro,but at the same time I know I don't need it , especially as my 6T is perfectly good and only 5 months old plus I could really use the money for other things ,

Interested in hearing from others who are fighting the temptation ?

Anyone have any other reasons other than below to remain with the 6/T

At the moment I intend to keep my 6T

It's good for updates for a couple of years
    It's more battery efficient than the 7 pro
    It won't cost me any money to keep.
    I'll save money
    I can always reconsider when the 7T or 8 comes
    My phone is set up and working well,I don't need to mess around with it to get it as I like
    I won't be venturing into flagship territory where prices are going to climb and climb

2. Filippo.Monti Gingerbread May 17, 2019 at 1:31 PM

Filippo.Monti, May 17, 2019 at 1:31 PM :
    The moment you have doubt in purchasing something Is the moment you don't have to buy that thing.
    I have a OP6 and I watched OP6T and OP7 Pro event Just to see what OnePlus would implement in future. Yes, i thought "wow, i wanted that" but Hey, i'm a student, money doesn't grow on trees and my phone works very very well. Why sould I change It?
    For me you should change your device if
    1) your's broken
    2) you've money for the purchase
    3) you're a tech fanatic and you always want the latest device
    4) idk
    [e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e]

3. Kytharsis Lollipop May 17, 2019 at 1:54 PM

Kytharsis, May 17, 2019 at 1:54 PM :
    No need to create a pep talk thread.

Maverick2.0 and ironass like this.
  4. DARTH 007 KitKat May 17, 2019 at 4:54 PM

5. KeepTransisting KitKat May 17, 2019 at 4:59 PM

B_Wrath, Sargo and ironass like this.
  6. Anthya888 Cupcake May 17, 2019 at 5:10 PM

Anthya888, May 17, 2019 at 5:10 PM :
    I was the same way. I was thinking of getting the 7 Pro I was extremely close but just seeing the price tag is what made me say no forget it. The 6T is still pretty modern and I am still very skeptical of the moving parts on the 7 Pro no matter how many times they convince us how strong it is.

7. dermot33 Ice Cream Sandwich May 17, 2019 at 5:27 PM

dermot33, May 17, 2019 at 5:27 PM :
    Yea, OnePlus are pretty good at creating hype for all their phones and watching the launch was pretty compelling making me forget that this was a €700 phone .I even had the phone in my cart and got a pretty good 5% student discount in the community drop but changed my mind right when it came to pay.
    Too expensive considering the 6T is only 6 month old,
    mind you I'm still tempted

Anthya888 likes this.
  8. dermot33 Ice Cream Sandwich May 17, 2019 at 5:29 PM

dermot33, May 17, 2019 at 5:29 PM :
    My therapist says I should talk to people,but people in real life are scary so Im using forums ,
    [e]1f62d[/e]

N1552120711385 and Ganesh.25 like this.
  9. dermot33 Ice Cream Sandwich May 17, 2019 at 6:23 PM

dermot33, May 17, 2019 at 6:23 PM :
    No just looking for reasons to hold on to my money,love the 7 pro but I know it doesn't make sense ,silly really I know,it's only a phone after all

10. DARTH 007 KitKat May 17, 2019 at 6:46 PM

11. Jalex_h Eclair May 17, 2019 at 9:16 PM

Jalex_h, May 17, 2019 at 9:16 PM :
    I suppose your therapist is particularly afraid that you are spending your money on oneplus instead of on him:p

12. dermot33 Ice Cream Sandwich May 17, 2019 at 9:18 PM

dermot33, May 17, 2019 at 9:18 PM :

Jalex_h

I suppose your therapist is particularly afraid that you are spending your money on oneplus instead of on him​

lol [e]1f602[/e][e]1f603[/e]

13. justwondering Froyo May 17, 2019 at 10:30 PM

justwondering, May 17, 2019 at 10:30 PM :
    I sold my 3 month old oneplus 6t for a good price, currently using my backup phone a oneplus 5T, still an excellent device cost me £125 2nd user excellent condition 8gb /128gb storage, kind of not missing my 6T,but I might be tempted back in for a oneplus 7 Pro, more than likely pick up someone's unwanted upgrade on ebay for around £450 ish, get a copy of the original receipt, hey presto 2 year UK warranty...

14. J1542606030006 Froyo May 18, 2019 at 2:30 AM

J1542606030006, May 18, 2019 at 2:30 AM :
    Few things holding me back even if money was no object:

1. Pop-up camera:

I am not worried about how many times one can open and close the camera. I am not even that worried about water resistance. However, I am worried about dust resistance, especially against pocket lint. Moving parts with even the smallest room for all those small particles to get inside and be stuck is a huge concern.

2. Size:

It seems just too big. My Note 9 is just on the fringe of being too big, so if it is even bigger than that, I am not sure I would be comfortable with it, even with its screen upgrade.

3. 6T is already fast:

Yes, the 7 Pro has updated specs, but really, how much will you notice without actually nitpicking both devices side by side? Spec sheets are nice to look at, but it all comes down to general everyday usage and how it feels for you.

I hate laggy phones. There was a time when my 1-year old Galaxy Note 2 felt so laggy that I tried out another phone and instantly upgraded. This is not the case here.

4. 6T screen is already nice enough:

I am sure the 90-hz screen is nice. I might even be spoiled by it if I kept using it for weeks. But just like the speed argument above, the 6T's screen is still good, and I don't feel any lag when scrolling texts. Videos still look good, and I don't play games on my phone. Now if my screen were broken, or had major problems, then it would be a different story altogether.

5. Camera doesn't jump out screaming for upgrade:

I am sure the 7 Pro's camera is improved over the 6T. But I feel it is not enough of an upgrade to justify upgrading after just 6 months. There have been enough articles and videos about the new camera so I won't elaborate any further.

6. 6T's battery life is already great:

This 6T seems to have better battery life than my Note 9, even though it has smaller battery capacity. The 7 Pro's battery life is being questioned, with its higher resolution, larger screen, and it is worse with turning 90-hz option turned on. So I reckon I won't see a massive jump from what is already pretty great.

7. Still no wireless charging, IP rating, and headphone jack

Now I am totally fine without these features. But when OnePlus decided to make the highest price hike in its history and close the gap in price ever closer to the flagship rivals, it is disappointing to continue to omit these features.

8. Verizon support in the US is questionable:

I use Verizon and part of the reason that I purchased the 6T was the announcement that it was gonna be the first OnePlus device that would be supported by Verizon. However, the phone isn't as well supported in comparison to other phones, and there were some inconveniences incurred when just trying to get basic services like text messaging working. I am assuming it would be the same story with the 7 Pro, given by what Verizon says now on its website.

9. Many of the new non-camera related features not tied to the newer camera hardware are eventually coming to the 6T via software update.

So....

Could these reasons apply to you as well? If so, put your mind at ease, and be happy with your 6T.

In a few months when even newer models get released, who is to say that you won't be tempted again, even if you do go ahead and upgrade now to the 7 Pro?

dermot33 likes this.
  15. p51d007 KitKat May 18, 2019 at 2:44 AM

p51d007, May 18, 2019 at 2:44 AM :
    Z37xG7m.gif

dermot33 and Kytharsis like this.
  16. Anthya888 Cupcake May 18, 2019 at 3:25 AM

Anthya888, May 18, 2019 at 3:25 AM :
    I'm still tempted too. but that temptation is slowly but surely going away.

dermot33 likes this.
  17. dermot33 Ice Cream Sandwich May 18, 2019 at 3:28 AM

dermot33, May 18, 2019 at 3:28 AM :

J1542606030006

Few things holding me back even if money was no object:

1. Pop-up camera:

I am not worried about how many times one can open and close the camera. I am not even that worried about water resistance. However, I am worried about dust resistance, especially against pocket lint. Moving parts with even the smallest room for all those small particles to get inside and be stuck is a huge concern.

2. Size:

It seems just too big. My Note 9 is just on the fringe of being too big, so if it is even bigger than that, I am not sure I would be comfortable with it, even with its screen upgrade.

3. 6T is already fast:

Yes, the 7 Pro has updated specs, but really, how much will you notice without actually nitpicking both devices side by side? Spec sheets are nice to look at, but it all comes down to general everyday usage and how it feels for you.

I hate laggy phones. There was a time when my 1-year old Galaxy Note 2 felt so laggy that I tried out another phone and instantly upgraded. This is not the case here.

4. 6T screen is already nice enough:

I am sure the 90-hz screen is nice. I might even be spoiled by it if I kept using it for weeks. But just like the speed argument above, the 6T's screen is still good, and I don't feel any lag when scrolling texts. Videos still look good, and I don't play games on my phone. Now if my screen were broken, or had major problems, then it would be a different story altogether.

5. Camera doesn't jump out screaming for upgrade:

I am sure the 7 Pro's camera is improved over the 6T. But I feel it is not enough of an upgrade to justify upgrading after just 6 months. There have been enough articles and videos about the new camera so I won't elaborate any further.

6. 6T's battery life is already great:

This 6T seems to have better battery life than my Note 9, even though it has smaller battery capacity. The 7 Pro's battery life is being questioned, with its higher resolution, larger screen, and it is worse with turning 90-hz option turned on. So I reckon I won't see a massive jump from what is already pretty great.

7. Still no wireless charging, IP rating, and headphone jack

Now I am totally fine without these features. But when OnePlus decided to make the highest price hike in its history and close the gap in price ever closer to the flagship rivals, it is disappointing to continue to omit these features.

8. Verizon support in the US is questionable:

I use Verizon and part of the reason that I purchased the 6T was the announcement that it was gonna be the first OnePlus device that would be supported by Verizon. However, the phone isn't as well supported in comparison to other phones, and there were some inconveniences incurred when just trying to get basic services like text messaging working. I am assuming it would be the same story with the 7 Pro, given by what Verizon says now on its website.

9. Many of the new non-camera related features not tied to the newer camera hardware are eventually coming to the 6T via software update.

So....

Could these reasons apply to you as well? If so, put your mind at ease, and be happy with your 6T.

In a few months when even newer models get released, who is to say that you won't be tempted again, even if you do go ahead and upgrade now to the 7 Pro?​

Great post, definitely feeling like it would be wise to stay with my 6T for the time being, interesting, particularly about the camera. I am also reading that the 6T image quality is still very close to the 7 pro,

The pop up camera is still a concern with dust you are right,am hearing that fluff and debris can quite easily get in there,

The overall size is massive too.I hear a lot of reviewers point this out and I already sometimes use some acrobatics on my 6T to reach all areas.

The biggest gripe I have with the 7 pro though is the curved screen and how content on the left and right sometimes looks like it's spilling over the sides(doesn't look good,much worse than any notch or cut out)

I think now, particularly because it's Oneplus first attempt at a true flagship it should be worth waiting for a 7T pro or 8 pro to see what they improve.

18. dermot33 Ice Cream Sandwich May 18, 2019 at 3:36 AM

dermot33, May 18, 2019 at 3:36 AM :
    Yes,It's almost like you have to ride out the storm. Once the hype and excitement passes it will be on to the next one.I enjoy tech and enjoy using OnePlus devices but I know I can't be buying them all.

Soon the 7 pro will be an after thought and the hype will be building towards the next device. I think we will be happy once some new features come to the 6T and Android Q open beta becomes available

Anthya888 likes this.
  19. Anthya888 Cupcake May 18, 2019 at 4:19 AM

Anthya888, May 18, 2019 at 4:19 AM :
    I just really hope they add that notification light for the OLED display for the 6T

20. dermot33 Ice Cream Sandwich May 18, 2019 at 5:09 AM

dermot33, May 18, 2019 at 5:09 AM :
    I was hoping that too until I read that it will only flash once when a notification comes in,seems kinda useless but maybe they can modify it so that it pulses or flashes intermittently